Need some help Please

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2017, 11:56 PM
Need some help Please
This was referenced on a site I visit too much. Is inhabited by 1000 rabid believers and me. (surprised they haven't burned my house yet) As the board atheist they fire at me and I respond that there is no evidence that prayer does anything, nor is there any evidence of any god.

Please give me some help responding to this in a way that simpletons cannot refute if possible.

http://www.newsmax.com/Health/Headline/p...id/635623/

Thanks in advance. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes psybj's post
18-04-2017, 12:56 AM
RE: Need some help Please
(17-04-2017 11:56 PM)psybj Wrote:  This was referenced on a site I visit too much. Is inhabited by 1000 rabid believers and me. (surprised they haven't burned my house yet) As the board atheist they fire at me and I respond that there is no evidence that prayer does anything, nor is there any evidence of any god.

Please give me some help responding to this in a way that simpletons cannot refute if possible.

> If "exhaustive studies" have really been conducted, why does the articles include no references to such peer-reviewed studies in reputable scientific journals? To wit:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19370557
Consider
[+] 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post
18-04-2017, 01:38 AM
Doesn't believe in prayer.

(17-04-2017 11:56 PM)psybj Wrote:  Please give me some help responding to this in a way that simpletons cannot refute if possible.

Comes in here asking for a miracle. Dodgy

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 9 users Like houseofcantor's post
18-04-2017, 03:27 AM
Reply with....

LOL

Works every time.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
18-04-2017, 04:15 AM
Quote:“And out of 125 studies that looked at the link between health and regular worship, 85 showed regular churchgoers live longer..."

Correlation vs. causation.

Nothing about prayer, there. It could be that feeling that one belongs to a supportive social group reduces anxiety compared to those more isolated.

Quote:“Studies have shown prayer can prevent people from getting sick — and when they do get sick, prayer can help them get better faster,”

Again, correlation vs. causation.

Mediation may well help people relax and reduce stress that can exacerbate e.g. blood pressure and stuff.

There's an extensive study on prayer sponsored by the Templeton Foundation that shows the opposite results.

So, here's the thing, if they are talking about meditation kinda prayer... cool; if they are talking about the prayers that ask the gods to change a pre-determined plan or create an alternative future... why the fuck do we give out Nobel Prizes?

Every scientific experiment would need an "unless gods" caveat.

Big Grin

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
18-04-2017, 04:46 AM (This post was last modified: 18-04-2017 05:17 AM by BackSlider.)
Quote:For the devout, there never has been any question that prayer has the power to heal.

Sounds like we all need some "devout" praying friends in case we ever fall ill with cancer or involved in a near terminal railroad crossing accident.
One could conclude their prayers apparently have always delivered them the DESIRED result. Let there be NO question that effective, 100% healing has always been the outcome experienced by those devout pray-ers!
Praise JesusAngel.

Gimme a break on this fake news. What a diaper load of unsupported statistics this Newsmax Health article contains. If it's on the internet, and supports your cause it must be true?

You have to be odd to be #1.
[+] 3 users Like BackSlider's post
18-04-2017, 05:19 AM
(17-04-2017 11:56 PM)psybj Wrote:  Please give me some help responding to this in a way that simpletons cannot refute if possible.

Tell them that if prayer worked then no child would ever die of an illness.

And then there are stories like these:

Parents' convictions in 'prayer healing' death upheld
USA Today

Police: Girl Dies After Parents Pray for Healing Instead of Seeking Medical Help
Fox News

Parents found guilty of murder after SECOND child dies from pneumonia
DailMail UK

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 7 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
18-04-2017, 05:25 AM
No Good Christian has ever prayed for an end to war.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Gawdzilla's post
18-04-2017, 07:53 AM
(17-04-2017 11:56 PM)psybj Wrote:  This was referenced on a site I visit too much. Is inhabited by 1000 rabid believers and me. (surprised they haven't burned my house yet) As the board atheist they fire at me and I respond that there is no evidence that prayer does anything, nor is there any evidence of any god.

It's no secret that the mind and the body are linked and that positive attitudes and visualization can have effects on the body. The placebo effect is well known. So what. If people believe that prayer will help then it sometimes does. It's like taking herbal remedies. I don't take them because I don't believe they will work in the first place. I've tried just about all the herbal remedies for gout which I suffer from and none did anything. Probably they didn't because I didn't believe they would in the first place, but I can't make myself believe that they will.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
18-04-2017, 07:53 AM
(18-04-2017 12:56 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  

> If "exhaustive studies" have really been conducted, why does the articles include no references to such peer-reviewed studies in reputable scientific journals? To wit:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19370557
Consider

Give them a break. They're exhausted.
[+] 1 user Likes kemo boy's post