Need some help with buying a ham

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2015, 01:57 PM
RE: Need some help with buying a ham
(05-12-2015 01:53 PM)KUSA Wrote:  She cooks it slow and the tomatoes start out raw. It takes a while to cook the tomatoes down. I know it sounds like a long time but the sauce is unreal. It is an old family recipe.
Sounds awesome. Food tend to take in all the love you give it while cooking.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2015, 02:55 PM
(05-12-2015 01:37 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(05-12-2015 01:28 PM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  Wait. Is ham the traditional Christmas dinner in the US?

Ham or turkey. My wife is Italian so sometimes we have home made spaghetti. It's not from a jar. It takes 3 days for the meatballs and sauce to cook.

That's what my hubby's family did. That's probably why they accepted the blonde girl into the family.

I was lucky that there was an old Italian lady who lived down the street from me growing up, she loved showing me how to properly cook a good gravy (no one I knew ever called it sauce it was always called gravy)

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

05-12-2015, 03:04 PM
(05-12-2015 01:28 PM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  Wait. Is ham the traditional Christmas dinner in the US?

I think it varies a lot. We are usually over turkey after Thanksgiving and the week of leftovers that follows.

Most years I make lasagna but I want to change it this year to a ham, baked potatoes - maybe twice baked, some vegies. Simple, but something everyone will eat.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
05-12-2015, 07:57 PM
Ok for ham get the Butte avoid the shank (the shank has the majority of the femur bone which is good for stock but it means you don't get a lot of meat) I like to purge my hams before cooking (put it in a large stock pot cover in cold water change water every 2-3 hours for up to 12 hours) that cuts the salt down a good bit.

For a glaze I like brown sugar and pineapple juice cooked down into a paste (1 cup of light brown sugar 1 cup of pineapple juice brought to a boil and cooked down by about half) I also score the ham so the glaze can get down into the meat. Pinning pineapple slices to the outside is optional but does add some extra flavor.

During cooking I baste with extra pineapple juice.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
05-12-2015, 08:06 PM
(05-12-2015 07:57 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Ok for ham get the Butte avoid the shank (the shank has the majority of the femur bone which is good for stock but it means you don't get a lot of meat) I like to purge my hams before cooking (put it in a large stock pot cover in cold water change water every 2-3 hours for up to 12 hours) that cuts the salt down a good bit.

For a glaze I like brown sugar and pineapple juice cooked down into a paste (1 cup of light brown sugar 1 cup of pineapple juice brought to a boil and cooked down by about half) I also score the ham so the glaze can get down into the meat. Pinning pineapple slices to the outside is optional but does add some extra flavor.

Thumbsup Thank you!

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
05-12-2015, 08:32 PM
(05-12-2015 08:06 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(05-12-2015 07:57 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Ok for ham get the Butte avoid the shank (the shank has the majority of the femur bone which is good for stock but it means you don't get a lot of meat) I like to purge my hams before cooking (put it in a large stock pot cover in cold water change water every 2-3 hours for up to 12 hours) that cuts the salt down a good bit.

Thumbsup Thank you!

NP, I will warn you that can end up being a bit on the sweet side if you over do the basting.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
05-12-2015, 10:17 PM
(05-12-2015 01:37 PM)KUSA Wrote:  

Ham or turkey. My wife is Italian so sometimes we have home made spaghetti. It's not from a jar. It takes 3 days for the meatballs and sauce to cook.

Or, ham AND turkey. Drooling Those Christmases are the best Christmases.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
06-12-2015, 06:26 AM
A bit of a derail but I just read the thread title as "Need some help with buRying a ham" and that opened up a number of possible scenarios...

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
06-12-2015, 07:59 AM
(05-12-2015 12:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Honeybaked Ham like Chas suggested is consistently good. But so is Costco's Kirkland Signature spiral cut ham. And I'd rather pay $20 for a ham instead of $50.

Cheap bastard. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-12-2015, 08:03 AM

Not in my family.
We do a prime rib, roast potatoes, Yorkshire pudding, gravy, veggies.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post