Need some input regarding a reunion...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2014, 08:09 PM
Need some input regarding a reunion...
Next summer is my 40 year high school reunion. I haven't been back to one a long time. For the 35th, I was still too sick to travel so I didn't go to that one. I have actually only been to three or four of them over the years mostly because I don't live in the area.

Anyway, this upcoming reunion is on the same weekend as my birthday and right before July 4th so it would be a good time for a vacation. I haven't been back to the town since 2009 for my dad's memorial service.

But - I grew up in a Catholic town and went to a Catholic school. So there's that issue. Most of my surviving classmates are still in that area and also still Catholic. Some have left the Catholic church but haven't left Christianity - they just picked a different flavor.

If I weigh up my good memories and bad from that time - bad kind of carries the most weight. The biggest plus would be that I would be about 90 miles from my best friend instead of the 900 I am now. So, if things really sucked I could just spend more time with her.

What do you think? Is it worth the trip? I have months to decide but would like to start making some plans - drive or fly, hotel, time off from work, etc. UGH - sometimes I think I really, really want to go and sometimes I feel like it would be a huge disaster.

Help. Sadcryface

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2014, 08:12 PM
RE: Need some input regarding a reunion...
(23-08-2014 08:09 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Next summer is my 40 year high school reunion. I haven't been back to one a long time. For the 35th, I was still too sick to travel so I didn't go to that one. I have actually only been to three or four of them over the years mostly because I don't live in the area.

Anyway, this upcoming reunion is on the same weekend as my birthday and right before July 4th so it would be a good time for a vacation. I haven't been back to the town since 2009 for my dad's memorial service.

But - I grew up in a Catholic town and went to a Catholic school. So there's that issue. Most of my surviving classmates are still in that area and also still Catholic. Some have left the Catholic church but haven't left Christianity - they just picked a different flavor.

If I weigh up my good memories and bad from that time - bad kind of carries the most weight. The biggest plus would be that I would be about 90 miles from my best friend instead of the 900 I am now. So, if things really sucked I could just spend more time with her.

What do you think? Is it worth the trip? I have months to decide but would like to start making some plans - drive or fly, hotel, time off from work, etc. UGH - sometimes I think I really, really want to go and sometimes I feel like it would be a huge disaster.

Help. Sadcryface

Skip the reunion spend a week with the best friend. You'll have more fun and less stress.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 13 users Like Revenant77x's post
23-08-2014, 08:15 PM
(23-08-2014 08:12 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(23-08-2014 08:09 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Next summer is my 40 year high school reunion. I haven't been back to one a long time. For the 35th, I was still too sick to travel so I didn't go to that one. I have actually only been to three or four of them over the years mostly because I don't live in the area.

Help. Sadcryface

Skip the reunion spend a week with the best friend. You'll have more fun and less stress.

What rev said. maybe even plan it around the time of the reunion, that way if you're there, and start feeling nostalgic, you can go. But you don't necessarily have to if you decide you'd rather not once you're there.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
23-08-2014, 08:18 PM
Good plan - and last time I went back I drove pretty close to Smerc! Maybe we could meet. Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

23-08-2014, 08:19 PM
That was going to be my next question, if you're reunion was going to be in my neck of the woods. I'd love to get together!!! Big Grin

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
23-08-2014, 08:20 PM
Is your best friend going to the reunion? If so, maybe you two could conspire to duck out early and go somewhere else if the reunion turns out to be a drag. It'll be just like high school again, you two up to no good together. Oh wait you never did that. Angel
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
23-08-2014, 08:23 PM
(23-08-2014 08:20 PM)pablo Wrote:  Is your best friend going to the reunion? If so, maybe you two could conspire to duck out early and go somewhere else if the reunion turns out to be a drag. It'll be just like high school again, you two up to no good together. Oh wait you never did that. Angel

She and I grew up in the same town but went to different schools in different towns. She got to go to public school. Actually I would have much more fun at her reunion!

23-08-2014, 09:21 PM
Is there a way to do both ? Sounds like on some level you want to go lay some demons to rest. That should take about 15 minutes. Tongue
Then on with your future. Heart

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
23-08-2014, 09:24 PM
Being able to meet Smerc and spend time with Jules sounds wonderful. Plus, I love a solo road trip - really gives me a chance to recharge.

I laid some of the demons to rest 5 years ago - but not the HS ones.

Starting to sound like a good idea - reunion or not.

[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
24-08-2014, 02:00 AM
I'm heading to my 20 year high school reunion in a few months. I know a few of the people who will be going via facebook and by virtue of my children being friends with their children in a few cases. I'll be going with my wife and it's at a pub that is famous for its steak. I have no doubt I'll have a good time and care little of what some at the event might think of me. If you can approach it with that sort of frame of mind I'm sure you'll have fun.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.