Need some input regarding a reunion...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2015, 11:55 PM
RE: Need some input regarding a reunion...
I've never understood what high school reunions are all about. What's the appeal? I'd rather sit in a room with rotting pumpkins.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
28-02-2015, 11:58 PM
(28-02-2015 01:12 PM)kim Wrote:  I think I will finally attend a reunion when I'm 90. That should filter out most of the people I don't need to see.

You can compare catheters.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
01-03-2015, 05:51 AM
We had a good time at mine. It was very informal, almost to the point of disorganised. Just show up at the pub, order a steak and beer at your leisure. A few photos were taken during the evening. We found some geeky people to hang out with and had some worthwhile conversation.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
01-03-2015, 06:36 AM
It does seem a particularly American thing to have school reunions.It's a bizarre concept to go off and meet loads of arbitrary people who at one time shared similar daily routines for a short period of time but who you have nothing else in common with. And to then compare your lives decades later and risk feeling depressed because they have done something that you can't (for whatever reason).

I can't remember the names of anyone that I went to school with.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
01-03-2015, 10:53 AM
(01-03-2015 06:36 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  It does seem a particularly American thing to have school reunions.It's a bizarre concept to go off and meet loads of arbitrary people who at one time shared similar daily routines for a short period of time but who you have nothing else in common with. And to then compare your lives decades later and risk feeling depressed because they have done something that you can't (for whatever reason).

I think it is an American thing. I don't believe Canadians have high school reunions either, but I could be wrong.

Americans have a lot of idiot things we do. We also have enormous weddings with an unlimited number of bridesmaids. I went to a wedding with 15 bridesmaids one time.

But I digress.

Three weeks after I graduated from high school I moved out of the little town we lived in and never went back. As Thomas Wolfe wrote, "you can't go home again" because "there is no there...... there", as Gertrude Stein wrote.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
01-03-2015, 11:03 AM
(01-03-2015 10:53 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(01-03-2015 06:36 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  It does seem a particularly American thing to have school reunions.It's a bizarre concept to go off and meet loads of arbitrary people who at one time shared similar daily routines for a short period of time but who you have nothing else in common with. And to then compare your lives decades later and risk feeling depressed because they have done something that you can't (for whatever reason).

I think it is an American thing. I don't believe Canadians have high school reunions either, but I could be wrong.

Canadians do high school reunions, eh. Smile

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-03-2015, 11:11 AM
(28-02-2015 11:58 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(28-02-2015 01:12 PM)kim Wrote:  I think I will finally attend a reunion when I'm 90. That should filter out most of the people I don't need to see.

You can compare catheters.

Yea, I was thinking we'd sit around listing what we'd had replaced - knees, hips, etc., - and end up comparing our daily prescription drug intake & bitching about how shit contemporary music is compared to OUR music. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
01-03-2015, 11:19 AM
(01-03-2015 11:11 AM)kim Wrote:  
(28-02-2015 11:58 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  You can compare catheters.

Yea, I was thinking we'd sit around listing what we'd had replaced - knees, hips, etc., - and end up comparing our daily prescription drug intake & bitching about how shit contemporary music is compared to OUR music. Wink

Speaking of 'our' music. My class' Facebook page is currently asking for songs from our high school days. One of the guys is going to make a mix of the songs listed.

There was a group of guys I graduated with who had a band...they were okay, not great...but what do you expect to find in the middle of a cornfield. I guess they played at the last reunion and T-shirts were made and sold. Pictures of my classmates dancing made me cringe. One of the guys in the band wore a sleeve that looked like a tattoo. Really, you have to don fake ink?

The current Facebook page discussion include songs from the mid-70s and fondly ( Blink ) recalling the consumption of Boonesfarm 'wine'. Yikes.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
01-03-2015, 11:33 AM
Yep. You won't miss anything you didn't want to see anyway, Anj.

The more I think about it, the more I'm resolute I'll attend mine when I'm 90. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
01-03-2015, 11:34 AM
(01-03-2015 11:33 AM)kim Wrote:  Yep. You won't miss anything you didn't want to see anyway, Anj.

The more I think about it, the more I'm resolute I'll attend mine when I'm 90. Shy

OMFG - I just looked at the page and there are people saying the reunion should last a week. Weeping

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF