Need some of you 'young punks' advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2014, 09:01 PM
Need some of you 'young punks' advice
This is about online business just to let you know in advanced.

So while I pay off debt and save for my larger project I want to start something small that I can manage in my free time between work. I was talking to a guy at work who started an online business during university and has been running it on the side since.
So I was thinking, how hard can it possibly be? (yes I am well aware of how dangerous that sentence is) I could invest a bit of cash and some of my free time to a small project like that. Sell New Zealand woolen jumpers or something like that.

I was just wondering if anyone runs a small online business and their experience with doing so. I like to think I am well learned in business but I admit that my online business knowledge, SEO and all that, is rather limited (and by limited I mean zilch).

By the way, I was leaning towards drop shipping because it'll be a) initially cheaper, b) easier, c) time saving. If it grew to be slightly less small I would love to just buy wholesale and sell it myself though. Keeping smallish amounts of stock in my garage or spare room and shipping it myself.

I was hoping to get someone on board to handle the technical running of the website and cut them a percentage of the profit (if any) but I think now I will be happy to learn that myself (I'm not in a great hurry). Plus it'll be a handy skill to have and know and if I own something I like to know how it operates.

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2014, 04:07 AM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2014 04:15 AM by Dom.)
RE: Need some of you 'young punks' advice
(11-12-2014 09:01 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  This is about online business just to let you know in advanced.

So while I pay off debt and save for my larger project I want to start something small that I can manage in my free time between work. I was talking to a guy at work who started an online business during university and has been running it on the side since.
So I was thinking, how hard can it possibly be? (yes I am well aware of how dangerous that sentence is) I could invest a bit of cash and some of my free time to a small project like that. Sell New Zealand woolen jumpers or something like that.

I was just wondering if anyone runs a small online business and their experience with doing so. I like to think I am well learned in business but I admit that my online business knowledge, SEO and all that, is rather limited (and by limited I mean zilch).

By the way, I was leaning towards drop shipping because it'll be a) initially cheaper, b) easier, c) time saving. If it grew to be slightly less small I would love to just buy wholesale and sell it myself though. Keeping smallish amounts of stock in my garage or spare room and shipping it myself.

I was hoping to get someone on board to handle the technical running of the website and cut them a percentage of the profit (if any) but I think now I will be happy to learn that myself (I'm not in a great hurry). Plus it'll be a handy skill to have and know and if I own something I like to know how it operates.

KISS, baby, keep it simple, stupid.

Google affiliate. Start an affiliate website. Join an affiliate message board and learn. You make money on the side and all you do is care for your site. There is always plenty to do to keep it ranking in the search engines. No need to add storing, handling and mailing goods. Some people make a LOT of money just running websites. But first you need to learn stuff - if your site doesn't show well in the search engines you will sell nothing, no matter how desirable your stuff may be. You have to learn SEO, and for starters, use only the search engine guidelines. See "google webmaster". Cheat on those, you get caught and banned from google et al.

Alternately, should you have goods to move, consider one of the many consignment, fundraising and bidding sites.

But, knowing you a bit, I'd suggest to start by designing tee shirts. Easy way to test the waters. Go to cafepress and see how it's done. No investment at all. All you need is designs you think will sell. If you have some money to invest, use it to advertise on facebook. Best ad deal online these days. Besides cafepress advertises on your behalf - targeted advertising yet.

There, simples. And yes, there is a lot of money to be made, but in order to do so there is a lot to learn if you run commercial sites. With cafepress, all you do is create images.

No one ever called me a young punk before, it doesn't apply. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
12-12-2014, 04:34 AM
(11-12-2014 09:01 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  ...
my larger project

I'm just curious... does this involve Poland in any way?

Dodgy

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
13-12-2014, 09:13 PM
(12-12-2014 04:07 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(11-12-2014 09:01 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  This is about online business just to let you know in advanced.

KISS, baby, keep it simple, stupid.

Google affiliate. Start an affiliate website. Join an affiliate message board and learn. You make money on the side and all you do is care for your site. There is always plenty to do to keep it ranking in the search engines. No need to add storing, handling and mailing goods. Some people make a LOT of money just running websites. But first you need to learn stuff - if your site doesn't show well in the search engines you will sell nothing, no matter how desirable your stuff may be. You have to learn SEO, and for starters, use only the search engine guidelines. See "google webmaster". Cheat on those, you get caught and banned from google et al.

Alternately, should you have goods to move, consider one of the many consignment, fundraising and bidding sites.

But, knowing you a bit, I'd suggest to start by designing tee shirts. Easy way to test the waters. Go to cafepress and see how it's done. No investment at all. All you need is designs you think will sell. If you have some money to invest, use it to advertise on facebook. Best ad deal online these days. Besides cafepress advertises on your behalf - targeted advertising yet.

There, simples. And yes, there is a lot of money to be made, but in order to do so there is a lot to learn if you run commercial sites. With cafepress, all you do is create images.

No one ever called me a young punk before, it doesn't apply. Tongue

Affiliate marketing is a grossly over-saturated market. I don't want to run a blog I want to run a business. The risk is too great for such little return.
Affiliate marketing used to be decent, not so much now.

Bidding sites are a good idea. Here we have trademe.co.nz which is basically our ebay, it's huge here and getting bigger in Australia. I'm not sure how possible it would to do drop shipping via trademe though, I would think manufacturers want to have people that drop ship for them be an actual established business (as opposed to some chump with a free trademe account). If I had a site and was making sales on it I guess I could branch out to places like trademe using my websites brand logo.

Cafepress isn't exactly what I wanted, because I want to actually own my own business and not just be an "employee" (or free lance "employee" in this case). It's interesting though but I suspect that it will be over-saturated by designs. I'm not sure how viable adding my designs to the pile would be.
Also, I can't really grow that like I could with a website. I'll submit a few designs though in the mean time, see how it goes.

[Image: oscar.png]