Need some opinions on whether my idea could sell or not

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2013, 01:42 PM
Need some opinions on whether my idea could sell or not
(If you're the tl;dr type, skip to the third paragraph)

First of all, I'm sorry for starting one more thread that has nothing to do with this forum. It's just that there's a lot of people here and it's the only forum I'm a member of (well, there's one more but those sneaky bastards are Greek and they might steal my idea Hobo )

So here's the thing. I'm into handcrafting and I get a lot of crazy ideas that I'm hoping will help me earn some extra money. This time it was something that my boyfriend (and a couple of other people) considered useless and he claimed that no one would buy it. But well, I beg to differ (and I also believe it's mostly a girls' thing so he wouldn't know).

So here it is. Small/tiny bottles or jars (probably in a cute box) filled with colored water mixed with some fragrant oil, with some kind of "theme" (for example "four seasons", where each bottle will smell like one of the four seasons). Put simply, just some tiny jars you can smell and remember what winter, summer or spring is like.
Not oils for burning, not fragrances for wearing, just little bottles to open and smell when you crave for a feeling of whatever (it won't be only seasons, it could be anything, chocolate, tobacco, fresh laundry).

So my boyfriend says that no one would pay for cute little bottles decorated with ribbons and cute labels and made all pretty by me ( Sad ) just for smelling.

What do you think?

Oh, and sorry for boring the hell out of you.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2013, 01:47 PM
RE: Need some opinions on whether my idea could sell or not
Yabut - oil and water don't mix...

You should start with the smell of xmas and bring it to market on time... Then spring right after, when people get cabin fever... etc.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
06-10-2013, 01:49 PM
Right, I hadn't thought about that but I guess I would have found out eventually, haha! Thanks!

-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
06-10-2013, 01:57 PM
Bottles sell... But who's buying?

[Image: 9f6.gif]
06-10-2013, 02:34 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2013 02:55 PM by evenheathen.)
(06-10-2013 01:47 PM)Dom Wrote:  Yabut - oil and water don't mix...

Well, not always.....but....
http://www.google.com/patents/US6242528

I know it has nothing to do with the OP, but patronize me here. I don't get to seem smart very often. No

Just sayin.... Drinking Beverage

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
06-10-2013, 02:51 PM
I have a friend who works in a artisan craft shop - high-end stuff, mostly. I'm constantly surprised by what people will buy. Consider

You concept might do very well, but you may need more of a 'hook' for sales. The packaging is very important, and you may want to tie it to a stronger concept like 'healing' or 'therapy' or 'memory' or something like that.

Good luck, and it's definitely not a guy thing.Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
06-10-2013, 03:39 PM
(06-10-2013 02:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  I have a friend who works in a artisan craft shop - high-end stuff, mostly. I'm constantly surprised by what people will buy. Consider

You concept might do very well, but you may need more of a 'hook' for sales. The packaging is very important, and you may want to tie it to a stronger concept like 'healing' or 'therapy' or 'memory' or something like that.

Good luck, and it's definitely not a guy thing.Dodgy

I myself am constantly surprised by what people buy from the things I make!

I'm planning to invest a lot on the packaging and the general appearance so that it can also serve as a decoration of some sort. You 're right, I think I'll go with "memory", I had it in my mind as a concept but I didn't think about using it for the promotion.

Thank you!

(I knew it wasn't a guy thing but I'm used to it since I mainly make cute jewelry with hearts and candy Big Grin )

-Guybrush Threepwood-
06-10-2013, 03:47 PM
go with feeling, feelings in a bottle. Make them cute but not silly. And that's all I can think of, maybe pitch the idea to some of your most cynic acquaintances to get a more contextualized opinion Smile

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
07-10-2013, 08:39 AM
(06-10-2013 01:42 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  (If you're the tl;dr type, skip to the third paragraph)

What was this suppose to mean? Those of us that know a thing or two about html codes and how to make tables with those codes?

Consider

If you want something to sell, make it smell like fresh pot. You know, like MJ, before you light it up. I always wanted either a perfume or an air freshener that smells like pot. But make it a good one.

You are welcome.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
07-10-2013, 08:58 AM
Consider

I suppose it would depend on what kind of scale you want to sell it at.
You might be able to get your local whatever store to buy the product off you and sell it in their store. That could also be a good gauge as to consumer interest and whether to maybe branch out to a few more stores or scrap it for another idea.
You don't want to invest heaps of your money in something you're not sure will sell or not.

BUT I don't think it would be profitable. I think to make something like this profitable you'd have to have it in a lot of shops, maybe a chain of shops, and the problem with that is unless it's patentable and you own the patent, than there's absolutely nothing stopping a big chain to simply copy your idea. They could manufacturer it same as you BUT not have to pay you in the process. And I don't think it would be patentable. I'm pretty sure you can patent scents, BUT not scents like "chocolate". Your best bet would probably be patenting the 'recipe', but unless it's fairly complex and hasn't been done before you probably wont be successful in patenting it.

If you make a lot of home made sort of stuff have you thought about purhaps starting your own little shop?
You'd most certainly still have to get stock in, but there's nothing stopping you continuing making your home made stuff and selling it in your store, advertized as hand made original stuff. With a store you could also make different things, new things, and test selling them out in your store effectively risk free.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.