Need some thought from like minded folks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2014, 03:46 AM
Need some thought from like minded folks
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum. I needed some like minded folks to share their thoughts with me. I am a mother of three and married to a fellow athiest. Our daughters came home from school (it's a public-charter) with a spanish word search that had a HUGE crucifix on it (It was the focal point on the paper with the word search in the corner of the paper) and other images of jesus and the last supper on it. When we asked them where they got it they said their spanish teacher gave it to them. When I asked why she gave it to them they just said it was a work sheet they had to do for spanish class (they are in the second grade).

Needless to say I was upset, my husband wrote an email to the principle who responded that part of their spanish class was learning the cultures of the spanish speaking countries, which apparently are all very Catholic and take Easter as a very serious religious holiday.

My husband still feels that this homework was not okay! I am kind of on the fence about it. I don't want to censor my children's learning about other cultures, and religion is definately part of that. But the huge image of the cross and the small word search in the corner looked more like a sunday school assignment then something that would be given in a public school. Can I get some thoughts? Is this way out of line or a justified lesson in cultural differences.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2014, 04:16 AM
RE: Need some thought from like minded folks
Can you post a pic of it?

I agree that learning about human societies / cultures is important so as to the question of indoctrination, that would depend on emphasis.

Ask for a copy of the teacher's Teaching Plan.

Also, I think I would get my child to ask the teacher whether they thought there was any connection between the poverty levels of ex-Spanish colonies and the dominance of the Cafia (Caflic Church).

Consider

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
24-04-2014, 04:20 AM
I urge you to discover everything you can about this course. It smacks of sneaky religious indoctrination to me.

But I am like that.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
24-04-2014, 04:31 AM
(24-04-2014 04:20 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I urge you to discover everything you can about this course. It smacks of sneaky religious indoctrination to me.

But I am like that.

Even after your recent resurrection from death (at Easter, no less)?

24-04-2014, 04:41 AM
Shhhhh, I'm Jesus. I've come back to find out about buffalo wings.

I never gave buffalos wings??? Blink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
24-04-2014, 05:16 AM
(24-04-2014 04:16 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Can you post a pic of it?

Consider

yeah here it is.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

24-04-2014, 05:22 AM
(24-04-2014 04:20 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I urge you to discover everything you can about this course. It smacks of sneaky religious indoctrination to me.

But I am like that.

The school principal sent us the teaching plan. It did include cultural studies of the spanish speaking countries and that included religion and comparison of holiday celebrations. It kind of sounded legit, but then again they take spanish every year for the next few years. So since all 20 spanish speaking countries are Catholic dominated does that mean they get lessons in Catholicism every year? I'm not sure how to approach this, but something seems off to me.
Oooh! Yeah!

Ever so slightly prominent. Angry

Again, though, I have no problem with it if other myths / folklore are covered in the same way.

That could be an interesting question to ask the school admins (or lawyers).

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
DANGER WILL ROBINSON! DANGER! DANGER!

Banjo.
24-04-2014, 05:26 AM
(24-04-2014 05:22 AM)NellieSorn Wrote:  

But I am like that.

The school principal sent us the teaching plan. It did include cultural studies of the spanish speaking countries and that included religion and comparison of holiday celebrations. It kind of sounded legit, but then again they take spanish every year for the next few years. So since all 20 spanish speaking countries are Catholic dominated does that mean they get lessons in Catholicism every year? I'm not sure how to approach this, but something seems off to me.

When I was studying Afro Cuban music none of my Cuban teachers taught me any Mary worshipping BS. Same goes for my Brasilian teachers who taught me samba.

Banjo.