Need some thought from like minded folks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2014, 05:31 AM
RE: Need some thought from like minded folks
(24-04-2014 05:26 AM)Banjo Wrote:  ...
When I was studying Afro Cuban music none of my Cuban teachers taught me any Mary worshipping BS. Same goes for my Brasilian teachers who taught me samba.

That's because music is of the DEVIL!

Drinking Beverage

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2014, 05:38 AM
God damned Pan!!!!Evil_monster

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
24-04-2014, 06:35 AM
(24-04-2014 03:46 AM)NellieSorn Wrote:  Hello all,

I'm new to the forum.

Welcome!

(24-04-2014 05:22 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Oooh! Yeah!

Ever so slightly prominent. Angry

Again, though, I have no problem with it if other myths / folklore are covered in the same way.

That could be an interesting question to ask the school admins (or lawyers).

I pretty much agree with this, 100%

I have no problem with teaching kids about all the heavy-hitting religions (Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism). It'd also be good to gloss over the fact that there are a crap-ton of other religions out there, and even the big ones split into many different sects.

That being said, I'd say the particular assignment is flirting with crossing the line, at best. If I were the principle, that's the type of assignment I would disallow just to avoid crossing the line. I can totally see teaching some small amount of Catholicism in a Spanish class, but there's really no need for a word search on it (unless the teacher has a history of using word searches for every topic).
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
24-04-2014, 06:57 AM
(24-04-2014 05:16 AM)NellieSorn Wrote:  
(24-04-2014 04:16 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Can you post a pic of it?

Consider

yeah here it is.

That's even worse than you described. Shocking

That is disgusting.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
24-04-2014, 03:09 PM
Yeah it's rubbing me the wrong way the more I think about it. They recently studied ancient Egypt and I did notice that they taught a lot of the myths of that religion also. But then again they learned about Japan, India and China last year and I'm pretty sure they didn't cover Hinduism, Buddhism & Taoism while they were at it. Obviously I'm concerned that they aren't teaching all the cultural religions equally. In which case they should not teach them at all.

We have a parent teacher conference today. I'm debating about continuing this conversation with her in person. It's hard because I don't want to cause issues for my children with the other kids and parents at the school. Unsure
24-04-2014, 03:43 PM
I think it is patently obvious what it is.

Seriously. I mean, come on????!!!!! Gasp Facepalm Weeping Blink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
24-04-2014, 03:58 PM
I've noticed that the cultures and races (other than white and black. Say, indian, chinese, spanish.) that adopted these more english/american religions very recently, (Catholic, Christianity.) take it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more seriously than the founding culture/race, which is white and black people.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
25-04-2014, 06:25 AM (This post was last modified: 25-04-2014 06:38 AM by Cathym112.)
(24-04-2014 03:46 AM)NellieSorn Wrote:  Hello all,

I'm new to the forum. I needed some like minded folks to share their thoughts with me. I am a mother of three and married to a fellow athiest. Our daughters came home from school (it's a public-charter) with a spanish word search that had a HUGE crucifix on it (It was the focal point on the paper with the word search in the corner of the paper) and other images of jesus and the last supper on it. When we asked them where they got it they said their spanish teacher gave it to them. When I asked why she gave it to them they just said it was a work sheet they had to do for spanish class (they are in the second grade).

Needless to say I was upset, my husband wrote an email to the principle who responded that part of their spanish class was learning the cultures of the spanish speaking countries, which apparently are all very Catholic and take Easter as a very serious religious holiday.

My husband still feels that this homework was not okay! I am kind of on the fence about it. I don't want to censor my children's learning about other cultures, and religion is definately part of that. But the huge image of the cross and the small word search in the corner looked more like a sunday school assignment then something that would be given in a public school. Can I get some thoughts? Is this way out of line or a justified lesson in cultural differences.

Hmmm....well without seeing it or hearing what your kids say about it, it sounds like you are doing the same thing xians do when there is any information that isn't xians approved info.

I wouldn't make a huge stink out of it unless they are teaching it as truth.

Edit: I take that all back. That is about Christianity, not about other cultures that celebrating Christianity.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
25-04-2014, 07:07 AM
am I the only one that got a chuckle seeing the word 'santa' on that page? Blush

I would discuss it with the teacher (and the principal) in a way that gets your point across, but doesn't get anyone's panties in a twist.....not yet.

I would bring up what you posted above regarding the fact that they didn't teach about Buddhism & Hinduism. Ask for an explanation of why it wasn't taught then. Make them explain themselves, and then your next point about teaching different cultures equally will be easier. And explain that you want your children to learn about all religions, but indoctrination and FAVORITISM of certain ones won't fly.

That being said, don't rely on a 2nd grader to give you a full account of what was taught in class. When I talk to my daughter and her friends after school, I can get 3 different accounts of the same class, even the ones where they were sitting right next to each other.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
25-04-2014, 09:35 AM
Be sure to let us know if you complain, so we can keep a look out for news stories about how those evil atheists are trying to persecute Christians by not allowing them to mention Jesus in school.