Need the help of an expert in evolution.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2013, 08:46 AM
RE: Need the help of an expert in evolution.
(20-06-2013 08:19 AM)Stephen Charchuk Wrote:  
(20-06-2013 07:27 AM)TheAmazingAustralopithecus Wrote:  I've possibly just started another debate on that forum concerning Stephen Meyer's new book "Darwin's Doubt" which is supposed to use the Cambrian Explosion as evidence of ID. I've found a good Jerry Coyne article explaining the explosion, but I've no doubt they'll continue with this line of thought. Sigh. They also quoted "Finding Darwin's God" or some such nonsense.

Also, the guy I talked to before tried to make a joke about how evolution must have started with "nothing + magic."

How can you be so ignorant? I can feel my blood pressure rising in annoyance at these imperfect mammalian apes.

What most Christians believe is that Darwin was an atheist. Untrue, he was a devout Christian and felt that his book didn't violate any religious believes since, after all, it wasn't about the creation of life.

"I see no good reasons why the views given in this volume should shock the religious sensibilities of anyone."

-Charles Darwin, writing in the foreword to "On The Origins Of Species", 1859.

As to ID don't they know by now that it is a proven fraud when its creator, Dr. Behe, had to admit under other in a court of law that he completely made up the evidence he used to "prove" it?

"nothing + magic"? Like his god? Clearly that idiot knows absolutely nothing about evolution and what it is and isn't. What you should have said to him was, "What? Are you saying that Dariwn is god now, won't you go to hell for that? Angel

Darwin's wife was a devout Christian, but Darwin himself appears to have been more a deist.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-06-2013, 09:18 AM
Re: RE: Need the help of an expert in evolution.
(20-06-2013 08:46 AM)Chas Wrote:  Darwin's wife was a devout Christian, but Darwin himself appears to have been more a deist.

A theist is a theist. More a deist, but not entirely one. Be still wasn't an atheist. Angel

Sent From My NEO x5....
Find all posts by this user
20-06-2013, 09:34 AM
(20-06-2013 09:18 AM)Stephen Charchuk Wrote:  
(20-06-2013 08:46 AM)Chas Wrote:  Darwin's wife was a devout Christian, but Darwin himself appears to have been more a deist.

A theist is a theist. More a deist, but not entirely one. Be still wasn't an atheist. Angel

My point is that he was not a devout Christian.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-06-2013, 09:38 AM
(20-06-2013 09:34 AM)Chas Wrote:  My point is that he was not a devout Christian.

Sure, fine.

Sent From My NEO x5....
20-06-2013, 10:37 AM
Wasn't Darwin agnostic?

"Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."

-Christoper Hitchens, "Letters to a Young Contrarian."
20-06-2013, 11:54 AM
(20-06-2013 10:37 AM)TheAmazingAustralopithecus Wrote:  Wasn't Darwin agnostic?

He did say that he was never an atheist but in his flucuations he leaned more towards agnosticism as the years went on. I think that it was more like weak agnosticism while I'm a strong agnostic. It's the same as with weak and strong atheistism.

Sent From My NEO x5....
20-06-2013, 12:12 PM
(20-06-2013 11:54 AM)Stephen Charchuk Wrote:  
(20-06-2013 10:37 AM)TheAmazingAustralopithecus Wrote:  Wasn't Darwin agnostic?

He did say that he was never an atheist but in his flucuations he leaned more towards agnosticism as the years went on. I think that it was more like weak agnosticism while I'm a strong agnostic. It's the same as with weak and strong atheistism.
In Darwin's day, the Blasphemy laws were sometimes enforced, so many just didn't buck the faith. They like to call themselves "Enlightened" yet only went so far. Today a person's religious freedom is allowed, although not in Texas in earshot of the Governor. Darwin speaks from the grave with the Origin of the Species to anyone that listens ....and understands faith and facts are not to be co-mingled.
20-06-2013, 01:21 PM
He still felt that it wasn't anti religion, or anti-god.

Sent From My NEO x5....
20-06-2013, 01:42 PM
(20-06-2013 01:21 PM)Stephen Charchuk Wrote:  He still felt that it wasn't anti religion, or anti-god.

There are many who still feel that way. The Official position of the catholic church is that Evolution is true and does not conflict with God. I'm sure most on this forum disagrees with that statement but it is prevalent among most all believers save for the very fringe fundamentalists.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
20-06-2013, 01:52 PM
(20-06-2013 01:21 PM)Stephen Charchuk Wrote:  He still felt that it wasn't anti religion, or anti-god.
Of course not, Blasphemy Laws of Britain prevented that in Darwin's time.
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy's post