Need the help of an expert in evolution.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2013, 02:42 PM
RE: Need the help of an expert in evolution.
(20-06-2013 01:42 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(20-06-2013 01:21 PM)Stephen Charchuk Wrote:  He still felt that it wasn't anti religion, or anti-god.

There are many who still feel that way. The Official position of the catholic church is that Evolution is true and does not conflict with God. I'm sure most on this forum disagrees with that statement but it is prevalent among most all believers save for the very fringe fundamentalists.

No, I don't think that's true. The nearly half of the people in the U.S. do not accept that evolution is true.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Re: RE: Need the help of an expert in evolution.
(20-06-2013 01:42 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  There are many who still feel that way. The Official position of the catholic church is that Evolution is true and does not conflict with God. I'm sure most on this forum disagrees with that statement but it is prevalent among most all believers save for the very fringe fundamentalists.

The Church had no choice any longer and HAD to declare it a fact of nature since there were literally mountians of evidence that they couldn't ignore anymore. (They did find a loophole in the created in god's image nonsense with more nonsense, like the trinity as well.) Sort of like finally officially saying the Earth was a sphere after the pope was shown a picture of the Earth from space during the 1970's. Big Grin

Sent From My NEO x5....
Find all posts by this user
20-06-2013, 02:58 PM
(20-06-2013 02:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-06-2013 01:42 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  There are many who still feel that way. The Official position of the catholic church is that Evolution is true and does not conflict with God. I'm sure most on this forum disagrees with that statement but it is prevalent among most all believers save for the very fringe fundamentalists.

No, I don't think that's true. The nearly half of the people in the U.S. do not accept that evolution is true.

I'm pretty sure it is...I doubt they embrace abiogenesis, but the Catholic church accepts evolution as a lost cause for them...It really doesn't conflict with the dogma so long as you are a not a literalist....but that is just the Pope and his boys. When you get into your Evangelicals and Baptists and those kind of suit and tie mega churchers, those are the guys freaking out over Darwin and they happen to be the vocal and extreme.

20-06-2013, 03:02 PM
(20-06-2013 02:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, I don't think that's true. The nearly half of the people in the U.S. do not accept that evolution is true.

How many Christian Americans are Protestant of one varity or another? The USA also ranks quite low in education in 1st world nations in the k-12 level. Most of your textbooks are published in Texas.........

Sent From My NEO x5....
20-06-2013, 03:18 PM (This post was last modified: 20-06-2013 03:34 PM by Stephen Charchuk.)
(20-06-2013 02:58 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  When you get into your Evangelicals and Baptists and those kind of suit and tie mega churchers, those are the guys freaking out over Darwin and they happen to be the vocal and extreme.

But they are not Catholics, they are different sects of Protestantism. The noisious wheel gets the oil. The Christians in the USA are mainly Protestants. And the irony of why Protestantism was made up in the first place (Besides allowing Henry VIII a quicky divorse. Rolleyes ) is amazing.

Out of the 2 or so billion Christians around 1+ billion alone are Roman Catholic. The rest is from all of the other sects together. In the USA 54.6% of the Christains are either (51.3%) Protestant, or (3.3%) other Christians. 23.9% are Roman Catholic. (CIA World Factbook.)

Sent From My NEO x5....
20-06-2013, 03:29 PM
(20-06-2013 02:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  

That has more to do with ignorance and poor teaching. I'll be honest I thought I knew what evolution was before I read Dawkins' works but I was wrong. It is not taught correctly in most schools so what people are against is the strawman version they think they know.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
20-06-2013, 03:37 PM
(20-06-2013 03:29 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  That has more to do with ignorance and poor teaching. I'll be honest I thought I knew what evolution was before I read Dawkins' works but I was wrong. It is not taught correctly in most schools so what people are against is the strawman version they think they know.

Like I've said, all creationist's arguments against evolution actually have nothing to do with it.

Sent From My NEO x5....
20-06-2013, 03:58 PM
(20-06-2013 03:37 PM)Stephen Charchuk Wrote:  
(20-06-2013 03:29 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  That has more to do with ignorance and poor teaching. I'll be honest I thought I knew what evolution was before I read Dawkins' works but I was wrong. It is not taught correctly in most schools so what people are against is the strawman version they think they know.

Like I've said, all creationist's arguments against evolution actually have nothing to do with it.

I wasn't a creationist but I had an incomplete knowledge of how and why evolution works. Actually once I started learning about the real facts it made much more sense to me.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
20-06-2013, 04:06 PM
Regarding school textbooks/the importance of Texas this documentary is very enlightening:

http://www.therevisionariesmovie.com/

[Image: The-revisionaries.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
20-06-2013, 06:19 PM
(20-06-2013 03:58 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I wasn't a creationist but I had an incomplete knowledge of how and why evolution works. Actually once I started learning about the real facts it made much more sense to me.

Creationists are not interested in true facts so they will never learn where the many many many errors they have made are. They perfer faith over true facts. You should pity them for their ignorance and fear them for wanting to force it on all others.

Sent From My NEO x5....