Need to decide whether to kill the cat

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-01-2018, 06:13 PM
RE: Need to decide whether to kill the cat
I am sorry to hear that you have to make this decision. It's never an easy one.

It sounds as though she had a great life while with you.

Hugs and wishing you comfort with what's to come.

(05-06-2017 04:14 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  ...And you can come get my guns if you'd like to try. I'll take you to the range and give you three rounds headstart.
The words of a 'responsible' gun owner.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
29-01-2018, 06:28 PM
(29-01-2018 07:52 AM)finite monkeys Wrote:  This is a horrible decision to have to make. If you can, I suggest you get advice from a vet.

On Friday we took our 18yo cat Muskrat to the vet in the hope there would be something they could do to improve his quality of life. After a thorough examination and discussion of possible treatments and side effects we decided that we had to say goodbye to him to prevent any future suffering. We knew this would be a likely outcome so we took along a brush to give him a final brushing, which he loved, gave him lots of cuddles and tickles as he faded away.

All the best, SteveC.
Hugs to you.

It's a difficult thing to do.

I held Lady and told her she had been a good girl as she drifted away.

They asked if I wanted plaster paw prints but I said no because she hated having her feet touched. I still miss her but am glad I was holding her when the time came. Undecided

(05-06-2017 04:14 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  ...And you can come get my guns if you'd like to try. I'll take you to the range and give you three rounds headstart.
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
29-01-2018, 08:05 PM
We had an elderly cat who died about 7 years ago and I think we should have euthanized him. He was basically senile / not himself, and it didn't help that he ended up crapping all over the furniture. He wasn't enjoying life and we weren't enjoying life with him anymore.

On the other hand, my stepchildren had been traumatized about that time by losing a dog they had at their biological father's home. The father's current wife, put the dog down for trivial reasons (it caught mange and she thought it was gross and wasn't willing to treat it; the dog was not suffering or even old, it just had a sore spot on its butt, that was readily treatable. She had to vet-shop to find someone willing to even put it down; she turned a deaf ear to the kid's protests. She was the sort of person who would get rid of a dog because it was the wrong color for the decor). In view of this I guess we over-compensated. Such decisions are always messy.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
30-01-2018, 01:32 PM
[Image: call-it-friendo.jpg]

[Image: barfly_condenados_pelo_vicio.gif]
02-02-2018, 08:37 PM
I’m really sorry you have to make this decision. It can be tough with cats. They often hide pain, and don’t let you know. Also, keep in mind that lack of pain doesn’t necessarily equal quality of life. I use this form to help my clients decide. You should review it with your vet. I hope it helps.

https://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/q...ife-scale/
[+] 1 user Likes beeglez's post
02-02-2018, 08:47 PM
Hug

Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
07-02-2018, 07:24 AM
It's been a week or so now. She has started eating more & more often. She is still following us about, purring and seems to be generally happy but is very thin. We haven't been forcing her to eat but have been giving her a pain killer every 4 days or so. This is for the bladder problems she has had for a while.
We are still going to keep an eye on her condition but the time isn't as close as it looked a while ago.

Thanks for the support and suggestions.

Steve

What do you mean Life is short. It's the longest thing you're going to do.
[+] 2 users Like stevec's post
07-02-2018, 07:26 AM
(07-02-2018 07:24 AM)stevec Wrote:  It's been a week or so now. She has started eating more & more often. She is still following us about, purring and seems to be generally happy but is very thin. We haven't been forcing her to eat but have been giving her a pain killer every 4 days or so. This is for the bladder problems she has had for a while.
We are still going to keep an eye on her condition but the time isn't as close as it looked a while ago.

Thanks for the support and suggestions.

Steve

Good to hear. She knows best. Thumbsup

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
21-02-2018, 07:53 AM
Trixie died yesterday.

In the morning she was moving about OK. Going in her litter tray, laying in her favourite spot, getting into her bed by the fire, even having a look outside. I had to go off early afternoon and she was back in her bed looking about. When I got home at about 11pm she had died in her bed. Mrs Me was with her, Trixie always did prefer her to me so she had her favourite person with her at the end.

What do you mean Life is short. It's the longest thing you're going to do.
21-02-2018, 08:09 AM
(21-02-2018 07:53 AM)stevec Wrote:  Trixie died yesterday.

In the morning she was moving about OK. Going in her litter tray, laying in her favourite spot, getting into her bed by the fire, even having a look outside. I had to go off early afternoon and she was back in her bed looking about. When I got home at about 11pm she had died in her bed. Mrs Me was with her, Trixie always did prefer her to me so she had her favourite person with her at the end.

I am sorry for the loss.

My sympathy to your wife also.

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post