'Needs' versus 'Wants'

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2011, 01:23 PM
RE: 'Needs' versus 'Wants'
....And now he needs to stop throwing stones.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-09-2011, 01:18 PM
Exclamation RE: 'Needs' versus 'Wants'
I don't think that needs and wants are codependet. Sure you want to not depend on these bastards for your food. And if you want to reach this, you have to build you greenhouse. But you don't need it for yourself, only for your wants.
So, in the end you need something to fulfill your wishes. Isn't that the same as when you want something?

These are my thougts on the other posts. What I first wanted to say is
Your (how to say?) "standard of living" is your needs/what you have -quotient
Your "happiness" on the other side is your wants/what you have

I like to see need as something personal. Not only human needs like drinking, eating, breathing etc., also feelings you need to protect you from depression/other sufferings, like safety, love, humor etc.

That's what I think, how 'bout you?
14-09-2011, 01:47 PM

Suggestion: read through the whole thread, carefully, and see if you thought over all the arguments?

Huh
Quote this message in a reply
14-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Sorry if can't react on all posts in this thread, but I wanted to draw a line between needs and wants. I recognize that my answer was a little bit confusing. All what somehow leads to a better life is a need, wants are just some kind of bonus, don't affect your life-style very much. I conceive needs as stairway. When you are downstairs, you don't need the higher steps, but when you're up you still need the lower ones. You can also imagine as a house of cards: touch a lower one most will fall. The steps that are so high that they are not neccessary for you, means no needs, are wants.
But I'm a little bit confused 'bout myself, it's 11:20pm here and I had a hard day, I'm going to sleep now, maybe I'll write back tomorrow
15-09-2011, 02:39 PM
No need to get tangled up in hypothetical situations and complications.
Level 1. survival level 2. comfort level 3. happiness
See Maslow's pyramid on the first page, second or third post, by Harley Quinn.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
11-02-2012, 10:20 AM
I have resurrected this thread because we did not completely discuss the question in the OP and it has a strong relationship to the new thread called: "What is rich?"

The two of them should be discussed side by side, I think.
16-02-2012, 03:19 AM
Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.
Frank Lloyd Wright

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche