Negative Christian experiences

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2016, 09:04 PM
I don't know why but I just started thinking of all the times Christians pulled the "better than you" card on me.. Or others..or just treated me in ways other than pleasant.. Even though I was one of them!

Like one time my sister with dark brown hair dyed her hair black and our cousin while at church asked "you must worship Satan now?"

Or when I got my first lip ring and the same cousin like 5 years later goes "you know piercings are a sin right?" I was 15 and said "ok but your ears are pierced." "Yeah but I got that before I was saved" "then you should have taken them out when you were "made new"

Or when i was waiting tables at a restaurant like a mile from a baptist church. I took care of the church crowd every Wednesday. Asked what they talked about and whatnot. One day the elder man told me if I ever wore my snake bites to work they wouldn't allow me to wait on them.

Or that one time the preacher and his wife talked about me and my unequally yolked relationship to the deacons. At least the deacons told me to my face.

Like wow, I see the Jesus alright. All of these popped into my brain together for no reason lol. Y'all got any fun stories?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2016, 09:39 PM
RE: Negative Christian experiences
Not exactly a "fun story", but when I was in my senior year of (private, Christian) high school I chose to volunteer at a pregnancy center for our annual day of service. This was the type of place that would try to help out pregnant women in crisis and provide support so that they wouldn't have an abortion. I'm not exactly sure what kind of services they actually offered, but I know that there was some (in hindsight, probably questionable at best) educational material present at the office on the day that we volunteered. I wasn't particularly enthusiastic on either side of the pro-choice/pro-life debate at that point; I was pro-life, but just because I was a hardcore fundamentalist. I hadn't really thought through the issue for myself. But this center had offered my sister support when she was pregnant with my niece (she had already decided not to abort, although not for religious reasons), so I thought it would be a nice choice for my volunteering opportunity.

Anyway, while we were there, one of our group of volunteers decided to begin to speak about her views on abortion. She was an exchange student from Sweden I believe and didn't have the same views on abortion as the rest of us did (unbeknownst to us at this point), and had actually thought that we were helping out at an abortion clinic for the day. The looks that we gave her when she started talking about how she wanted to have "tons of abortions!", though...I have no idea what the actual response was, but there were so many looks of condescension and superiority between us as we thought about this poor, uneducated heathen in our midst. I'm sure if I was there now, I would want to slap all of us in the face for our self-righteousness.
28-04-2016, 09:41 PM
We had a local guy we called Preacher John. He'd sit next to you, ask how you were, talk about the weather, small talk. Then, if you died today would you be saved? Before I was atheist, he tried that with me. He said unless you worship Jesus, you're doomed for Hell. I asked him if that included children who were never exposed to religious. Of course, he said. Everything he said, I met with questions and verses from the Bible that contradicted him.

He tried that again a week later. I told him, "John, we went through this last week." Fast forward six months later, I have to tell him to stop trying to convert me because he tries every couple weeks. One day when I was feeling really strange he asked again if I died today if I knew I'd be saved. I slowly turned to face him and asked in a low voice, "You want to find out now if you are, John?" His eyes widened and he asked how I knew his name.

Years earlier as a teen I got my ear pierced. Man walks up, talks a bit, sees the earring, starts preaching. I asked him if the people that followed Moses out of Egypt were good people. He said yes. I said OK, so why is it that they had earrings? The passage specifically said to take the gold that is in the ears of your sons and daughters.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
28-04-2016, 09:58 PM
I met my co worker and friend for breakfast at the airport restaurant. He and I had come to terms, he knew my position and I knew he was a minister for young guys in a crappy neighborhood. He is a sweet, sweet man and i have a ton of respect for him.
He brought a pilot friend of his and I think he had pumped my friend for info before hand, because it was not long before I was under a full on assault about god from this guy, in MY hangout with my buddy. My friend was mortified and I tried to blow this guy off. He kept on with some lame ass story about being in a rowboat in a a bay and god saved him. It was awful, as I did not want to walk out, or make a scene, or raise the volume of the discussion any further.
What a pain in the ass. So, his son is friends with another good friend from that job. This cool young guy had been home schooled by some fundies, and in the last few years has seen the folly of it and deconverted. He tells me the son of this asshole from that breakfast long ago had deconverted also. I have to admit it made me smile more than once to think of his dad's reaction.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
28-04-2016, 10:09 PM
(28-04-2016 09:39 PM)debna27 Wrote:  Not exactly a "fun story", but when I was in my senior year of (private, Christian) high school I chose to volunteer at a pregnancy center for our annual day of service. This was the type of place that would try to help out pregnant women in crisis and provide support so that they wouldn't have an abortion. I'm not exactly sure what kind of services they actually offered, but I know that there was some (in hindsight, probably questionable at best) educational material present at the office on the day that we volunteered. I wasn't particularly enthusiastic on either side of the pro-choice/pro-life debate at that point; I was pro-life, but just because I was a hardcore fundamentalist. I hadn't really thought through the issue for myself. But this center had offered my sister support when she was pregnant with my niece (she had already decided not to abort, although not for religious reasons), so I thought it would be a nice choice for my volunteering opportunity.

Anyway, while we were there, one of our group of volunteers decided to begin to speak about her views on abortion. She was an exchange student from Sweden I believe and didn't have the same views on abortion as the rest of us did (unbeknownst to us at this point), and had actually thought that we were helping out at an abortion clinic for the day. The looks that we gave her when she started talking about how she wanted to have "tons of abortions!", though...I have no idea what the actual response was, but there were so many looks of condescension and superiority between us as we thought about this poor, uneducated heathen in our midst. I'm sure if I was there now, I would want to slap all of us in the face for our self-righteousness.

I've been that person. It's weird now looking back at all the judgement I passed for religion.
29-04-2016, 06:51 AM
(28-04-2016 10:09 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  
(28-04-2016 09:39 PM)debna27 Wrote:  Not exactly a "fun story", but when I was in my senior year of (private, Christian) high school I chose to volunteer at a pregnancy center for our annual day of service. This was the type of place that would try to help out pregnant women in crisis and provide support so that they wouldn't have an abortion. I'm not exactly sure what kind of services they actually offered, but I know that there was some (in hindsight, probably questionable at best) educational material present at the office on the day that we volunteered. I wasn't particularly enthusiastic on either side of the pro-choice/pro-life debate at that point; I was pro-life, but just because I was a hardcore fundamentalist. I hadn't really thought through the issue for myself. But this center had offered my sister support when she was pregnant with my niece (she had already decided not to abort, although not for religious reasons), so I thought it would be a nice choice for my volunteering opportunity.

I've been that person. It's weird now looking back at all the judgement I passed for religion.

Definitely. I have distinct memories of being in chapel, looking down at all the people sitting and not singing during worship, and having the thought "Jesus DIED for you, you can't stand up and sing for him?!"
I'm really happy I'm not that person anymore.