Neil Degrasse Tyson coming to Nashville!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2015, 03:35 AM
Neil Degrasse Tyson coming to Nashville!
Just an FYI for anyone who is interested and in the area, he will be here November 18th and 19th. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like leslielharris's post
01-09-2015, 04:03 AM
RE: Neil Degrasse Tyson coming to Nashville!
(01-09-2015 03:35 AM)leslielharris Wrote:  Just an FYI for anyone who is interested and in the area, he will be here November 18th and 19th. Smile

If I ever meet Neil Degrasse Tyson I am going to ask why he thinks breathing through the same orifice in which one eats is a bad design. A separate and distinct orifice for eating is just another avenue for infection. I don't know the figures and I'm not so invested in my thought to bother to look them up, but I would wager more human beings have died from infection rather than choking.

I like Neil and think he is a bright and accomplished man....but when I hear that part of his stump, the word that pops into my head is "moron".
01-09-2015, 04:09 AM
(01-09-2015 04:03 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(01-09-2015 03:35 AM)leslielharris Wrote:  Just an FYI for anyone who is interested and in the area, he will be here November 18th and 19th. Smile

If I ever meet Neil Degrasse Tyson I am going to ask why he thinks breathing through the same orifice in which one eats is a bad design. A separate and distinct orifice for eating is just another avenue for infection. I don't know the figures and I'm not so invested in my thought to bother to look them up, but I would wager more human beings have died from infection rather than choking.

I like Neil and think he is a bright and accomplished man....but when I hear that part of his stump, the word that pops into my head is "moron".

Why would a separate orifice be needed? You merely could alter the respiratory process & digestion process from working side by side with an off switch. Just redesign the throat to be able to handle both processes simultaneously.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
01-09-2015, 04:18 AM
(01-09-2015 04:09 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Why would a separate orifice be needed? You merely could alter the respiratory process & digestion process from working side by side with an off switch. Just redesign the throat to be able to handle both processes simultaneously.

Ask Tyson. He cites the dolphin as an example of good design. Sometimes I wonder if he realizes humans don't spend their entire lives swimming.

But really....he is appealing to the masses. Tyson is a good showman, his stump sounds reasonable to the masses sometimes at the expense of actually being reasonable.
01-09-2015, 04:24 AM
(01-09-2015 04:18 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(01-09-2015 04:09 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Why would a separate orifice be needed? You merely could alter the respiratory process & digestion process from working side by side with an off switch. Just redesign the throat to be able to handle both processes simultaneously.

Ask Tyson. He cites the dolphin as an example of good design. Sometimes I wonder if he realizes humans don't spend their entire lives swimming.

But really....he is appealing to the masses. Tyson is a good showman, his stump sounds reasonable to the masses sometimes at the expense of actually being reasonable.

Yes, I know the point. The point I'm getting at is you can solve his point without creating more area of the chances for infection very simply by thinking it out.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
01-09-2015, 05:22 AM
Thanks for the heads up Big Grin

I'll add it to my calendar!

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
01-09-2015, 05:41 AM
(01-09-2015 04:03 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  

If I ever meet Neil Degrasse Tyson I am going to ask why he thinks breathing through the same orifice in which one eats is a bad design.

Because an astrophysicist is just the authority to question on evolutionary biology. Dodgy

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
01-09-2015, 06:30 AM
I'm curious to hear why two orifices being used for two purposes is a higher chance for infection than one orifice being used for two purposes. Is the frequency of use changing (and therefore the total number of potential exposures)? Would it not be equally possible for the two parallel systems to share the same defensive mechanisms without actually sharing passageways? And ClydeLee made the other set of points related to this.

And further, our odds of choking are largely due not just to sharing the systems, but to the fact a system designed for quadrupeds runs into problems when you change the angle to that of a permanent biped. In other words, it's not just the biological (vs. engineered-from-scratch) design that's at fault, but the adaptation by evolution, to which he is pointing.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
01-09-2015, 12:34 PM
Tickets start at $50 for nose bleeds up to $180 for VIP

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-09-2015, 02:49 AM
(01-09-2015 06:30 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I'm curious to hear why two orifices being used for two purposes is a higher chance for infection than one orifice being used for two purposes. Is the frequency of use changing (and therefore the total number of potential exposures)? Would it not be equally possible for the two parallel systems to share the same defensive mechanisms without actually sharing passageways? And ClydeLee made the other set of points related to this.

And further, our odds of choking are largely due not just to sharing the systems, but to the fact a system designed for quadrupeds runs into problems when you change the angle to that of a permanent biped. In other words, it's not just the biological (vs. engineered-from-scratch) design that's at fault, but the adaptation by evolution, to which he is pointing.

I don't have any hard evidence. Intuitively though I feel that the more orifices a being has the more avenues there are for that being to be the victim of an infection.

I believe Tyson is in the same boat. He doesn't have any hard evidence that having two orifices would increase the longevity of a human being.

But really, if Tyson is going to claim that two orifices is a better design, maybe he should elect to have some surgical reconstruction so that he does have two orifices.

Imagine Tyson as Randy from Southpark.

[Image: 165a.jpg]

Maybe one of these days I will photoshop Tysons face onto Randy's image above an make a meme.