Neil Degrasse Tyson coming to Nashville!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2015, 03:01 AM
RE: Neil Degrasse Tyson coming to Nashville!
(02-09-2015 02:49 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I don't have any hard evidence. Intuitively though I feel that the more orifices a being has the more avenues there are for that being to be the victim of an infection.

I believe Tyson is in the same boat. He doesn't have any hard evidence that having two orifices would increase the longevity of a human being.

If we could breathe through a separate mechanism that didn't overlap with our digestive system, we could entirely eliminate deaths from accidental choking.

Just how many dolphins or whales die of choking from having an object lodged in their larynx that limits their air intake? I imagine the number is next to zero.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
02-09-2015, 03:14 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2015 03:20 PM by Commonsensei.)
(02-09-2015 02:49 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I don't have any hard evidence.

This his key point.

(01-09-2015 04:03 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  A separate and distinct orifice for eating is just another avenue for infection.

Every part of the body is already prone to infection. What's one more? There are many other animals that have extra orifices already. Obviously Dolphins and Whales have already been presented as examples.

Starfish turn their stomachs inside out. And they breath threw their feet. (tubes)

One would think if a all knowing creator could make creatures with separate orifices. He'd be able to give his "most loved" one's the same advantage.

Or maybe stronger anti-bodies to fight the infections.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
03-09-2015, 06:07 PM
And there would be very few aspiration pneumonias! Smile

(02-09-2015 03:01 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(02-09-2015 02:49 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I don't have any hard evidence. Intuitively though I feel that the more orifices a being has the more avenues there are for that being to be the victim of an infection.

I believe Tyson is in the same boat. He doesn't have any hard evidence that having two orifices would increase the longevity of a human being.

If we could breathe through a separate mechanism that didn't overlap with our digestive system, we could entirely eliminate deaths from accidental choking.

Just how many dolphins or whales die of choking from having an object lodged in their larynx that limits their air intake? I imagine the number is next to zero.
[+] 1 user Likes leslielharris's post
08-09-2015, 10:21 AM
(03-09-2015 06:07 PM)leslielharris Wrote:  And there would be very few aspiration pneumonias! Smile

(02-09-2015 03:01 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  If we could breathe through a separate mechanism that didn't overlap with our digestive system, we could entirely eliminate deaths from accidental choking.

A separate orifice wouldn't eliminate all choking. Occasionally there would still be times when a foreign object lodged itself in the breathing passage. It would also make speaking impossible unless the tongue and lips were duplicated. Of course duplicating the tongue and lips would require additional brain processing power to control all those additional muscles....so now you got a build a bigger brain or divert brain capacity away from something else.

The more I think about it, the more I conclude Tyson's suggestion is completely stupid. I get that he is trying to be funny, and is appealing to a largely unthinking mass audience but if I met him, I'd call him out on it.
08-09-2015, 03:51 PM
(08-09-2015 10:21 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(03-09-2015 06:07 PM)leslielharris Wrote:  And there would be very few aspiration pneumonias! Smile

A separate orifice wouldn't eliminate all choking. Occasionally there would still be times when a foreign object lodged itself in the breathing passage. It would also make speaking impossible unless the tongue and lips were duplicated. Of course duplicating the tongue and lips would require additional brain processing power to control all those additional muscles....so now you got a build a bigger brain or divert brain capacity away from something else.

The more I think about it, the more I conclude Tyson's suggestion is completely stupid. I get that he is trying to be funny, and is appealing to a largely unthinking mass audience but if I met him, I'd call him out on it.

You're just as moronic and if not more so by how you're viewing his "idea" here. It's becasuse your repsponce is as if you are NOW going to create a new designed human to perfectly still interact with other humans. Why does speaking the manner of which Humans speak matter? You're adding excess stipulations that would be more dumb design as if they were be factors that matter. It is only something someone viewing it in a bizarre manner of human only to exist as humans exist now orientation of change. You're far too hung up on you being right than to do what you think you are doing to his idea, to your own ideas. If you want to be considered a person who isn't a troll, you'd acknowledge how to be skeptical to a claim rationally.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson