Neil deGrasse Tyson

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2014, 03:03 PM
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Going to see him live at the Winspear Opera house in Dallas tonight - so excited! I will report on how it was tomorrow.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like Timber1025's post
19-05-2014, 03:12 PM
RE: Neil deGrasse Tyson
Lucky bastard, rub it our faces why don't you.. Dodgy

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
19-05-2014, 03:15 PM
Tyson and I went to the same high school.

Different decades. Never met him.

Religion is proof that invisible men can obscure your vision.
Visit my blog
Follow me on Twitter @TwoCultSurvivor
19-05-2014, 03:15 PM
Pics or it didn't happen. Even sucky pics will suffice. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
19-05-2014, 03:26 PM
Awesome!! Thumbsup I got to see him in Iowa last year, it was a good time. Fun thing about NDT, he tries to put fresh info into each of his appearances so you aren't just there for a rehash of things you've already seen on youtube etc.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
19-05-2014, 04:13 PM
Video RE: Neil deGrasse Tyson
Take some video, too. Neil is intoxicating to watch.

Lucky bastard.
Dodgy

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
19-05-2014, 04:16 PM
(19-05-2014 03:03 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Going to see him live at the Winspear Opera house in Dallas tonight - so excited! I will report on how it was tomorrow.

Good on you.

The man does have a way with words, I'll admit.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
19-05-2014, 05:00 PM
(19-05-2014 03:03 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Going to see him live at the Winspear Opera house in Dallas tonight - so excited! I will report on how it was tomorrow.

That's fucking awesome!!
20-05-2014, 11:13 AM
Neil was great last night, and did actually surprise me with all of the humor and inspirational asides he frequently inserted throughout the evening. Took my 16yr old son and his buddy with me - both were impressed and entertained at the same time. He said that most of the information/topics during his talks are not just a rehash of books and videos, but something new that you won't find in what is previously available. Alot of emphasis on our solar system and the possibilities of life on Mars, and the moons of Jupiter and Saturn.

Spent alot of time defending the truths of science. He stated that he does not take shots at religion, but plainly said that there is a huge problem if your opinions or beliefs cause you to ignore scientific information and facts. It was over two hours long with and added 30 min Q&A. Some freaking 8yr old kids asked some great questions! He took the time to sign stuff and have kids on stage - a really genuine and nice guy.

He ended with quoting from "the book of Carl" on the Pale Blue Dot photograph. It was like watching Bill Cosby who happened to also be a great inspirational speaker, and an brilliant astrophyscist on top of that. Very worth my $60 admission.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 3 users Like Timber1025's post