Neil deGrasse Tyson Appointed Head of the World Evangelical Alliance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-09-2017, 08:14 AM (This post was last modified: 13-09-2017 08:19 AM by Reducetarian.)
RE: Neil deGrasse Tyson Appointed Head of the World Evangelical Alliance
(13-09-2017 07:19 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Brindenstein isn't an idiot. He's a fighter jock who served in the Gulf. He's capable of learning.

Give him a year, with exposure to smart people with different ideas than his, and he's likely to change his mind on things.

Cuz face it - he's just one guy with an idea. NASA is an entire institution, with it's own ideas.....

I think your opinion of the intelligence of fighter jocks (and the public's in general) is perhaps a little too high. (Note: by intelligence I mean the ability to assimilate and synthesize complex, deep-level knowledge and concepts in order to draw meaningful conclusions)

(BTW do not confuse fighter pilots with test pilots: those individuals are at a whole other level)

No one discounts a fighter pilot's bravery, fitness, reflexes or training, but brains ... well let's just say there's a reason they're called "jocks". In terms of depth of knowledge, they weren't usually the sharpest tools in the shed. That's been my experience, anyway.

The other thing I've noticed about fighter pilots is that their egos can sometimes result in a very "my way or the highway" attitude, which would not bode well for anyone dealing with scientists. Not always the case of course, but it would not surprise me to see a considerable amount of headbutting as a result.

Naturally, there are always exceptions that prove the rule; let's hope he happens to be one of them.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Reducetarian's post
13-09-2017, 08:44 AM
(13-09-2017 05:03 AM)unsapien Wrote:  I remember watching this from Neil years ago about why he was never worried that republican administrations would cut funding to science education or research.

You can watch the whole thing to get a sense of the context of the question he was answering here or just skip to 3:18.

Somebody should ask him what he thinks now...
Although having said that, he did make the distinction between republican "values" and the Christian right "values" that republicans had to bow to for the sake of keeping their base happy.

If they acted the way they used to historically, Trump & the teabaggers would never have become an issue.

Laugh out load The Start Arrow on the video was directly over Tyson's hand covering it up. For a second I thought Neil was being really bad and telling trump's idiots to fuck off.

Darn. He should do that though. Yes

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
13-09-2017, 08:55 AM
The worse it gets, the better off we are. They're all out in the next election.
Some people need to learn everything the hard way.
Bring it on.

Praise Jesus.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
13-09-2017, 03:37 PM
(12-09-2017 11:55 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Oh wait. That didn't happen.

But this did...
[...]
Yeah I know this is politics but I thought the Science section could do with a few laughs (the Galileo joke was good) ... or tears

No

Great thread title -- you did make me look. Wink

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
14-09-2017, 01:03 AM
(13-09-2017 08:14 AM)Reducetarian Wrote:  I think your opinion of the intelligence of fighter jocks (and the public's in general) is perhaps a little too high.

What research have you done on Bridenstine?

Have you heard Marshal Shepherd? He is a leading climate change scientist and has been sounding the alarm on global warming. And Shepherd seems to be endorsing Bridenstine.
14-09-2017, 01:21 PM
(13-09-2017 08:14 AM)Reducetarian Wrote:  I think your opinion of the intelligence of fighter jocks (and the public's in general) is perhaps a little too high. (Note: by intelligence I mean the ability to assimilate and synthesize complex, deep-level knowledge and concepts in order to draw meaningful conclusions)...

According to Chron.com...

"Aspiring pilots must take the Air Force Officer Qualifying Test, which measures knowledge and reasoning skills and helps the service place candidates in Officer Training School. The five-hour, 380-question test quizzes applicants on verbal analogies, math, instrument comprehension, aviation information and general science...

To begin training, a candidate must be 18 to 34 years old, be a US citizen and have a bachelor’s degree. To become a pilot, a candidate must make it through tests, selection and officer school."

BTW, in this context "jocks" = jockey. As in a person who pilots, operates, or guides the movement of an airplane—rather than a sports "jock" (as derived form jockstrap).

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
14-09-2017, 01:51 PM
(14-09-2017 01:21 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(13-09-2017 08:14 AM)Reducetarian Wrote:  I think your opinion of the intelligence of fighter jocks (and the public's in general) is perhaps a little too high. (Note: by intelligence I mean the ability to assimilate and synthesize complex, deep-level knowledge and concepts in order to draw meaningful conclusions)...

According to Chron.com...

"Aspiring pilots must take the Air Force Officer Qualifying Test, which measures knowledge and reasoning skills and helps the service place candidates in Officer Training School. The five-hour, 380-question test quizzes applicants on verbal analogies, math, instrument comprehension, aviation information and general science...

To begin training, a candidate must be 18 to 34 years old, be a US citizen and have a bachelor’s degree. To become a pilot, a candidate must make it through tests, selection and officer school."

BTW, in this context "jocks" = jockey. As in a person who pilots, operates, or guides the movement of an airplane—rather than a sports "jock" (as derived form jockstrap).

Yeah, I have absolutely no scientific basis for my claim, just the personal experience of living in close proximity to/studying with a number of fighter jocks.

In my experience, the smarter pilot candidates (and it was only guys in my time) went on to fly helicopters; go figure.

I realize that the term comes from jockey, but believe me, that term wasn't thought of in that way when I was going through officer training.

Of course, that was way back before the interwebs, but since the person in question is about my age, I feel relatively confident in asserting that fighter pilots of his generation while not dumb, were not usually at the head of the class.

Again, I very much hope that this guy disproves the stereotype, at least enough to recognize what he doesn't know and respect the knowledge of those NASA officials who do know.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 1 user Likes Reducetarian's post
14-09-2017, 02:11 PM
Well, so far, the little research that I have done on Bridenstine is not very encouraging.
His blog post arguing that the US should set up a permanent presence on the Moon, develop a "cis-lunar economy", and mine the Moon for water to use as fuel for further space exploration, and that the US needs to get there before the Chinese do ... is just ... well... words fail me.

Facepalm

14-09-2017, 02:17 PM
(13-09-2017 08:55 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The worse it gets, the better off we are. They're all out in the next election.
Some people need to learn everything the hard way.
Bring it on.

Praise Jesus.

I honestly don't have much hope of this happening. The people who voted for trump have been fully indoctrinated, and Fox news tells them how to think. They will never vote for a democrat in the coming elections.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
14-09-2017, 03:45 PM
(14-09-2017 02:17 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  ... The people who voted for trump have been fully indoctrinated, and Fox news tells them how to think. They will never vote for a democrat in the coming elections.

I'm afraid whenever I hear the name Fox news, my schoolboy mind makes me thing of this golden oldie—is fox the plural of fock?

The Italian who went to Detroit

One day I'ma gonna Detroit to bigga hotel. I go down to breakfast. I tella the waitress I wanna two pissis toast. She bring me only one piss. I tell her I wanna another piss. She say go to the toilet. I say you no understand, I wanna two piss onna my plate. She say you better no piss onna plate, you sonoffabitch. I don't even know the lady and she calls me a sonoffabitch!

Later I go to eat at the bigga restaurant. The waitress she bring me a spoon and knife but no fock I tell her I wanna fock. She tell me everyone wanna fock. I tell her you no understand, I wanna fock onna table. She say you better no fock onna table, you sonoffabitch.

So I go back to my room inna hotel and there isa no shit onna ma bed. I call the manager and I tella him I wanna shit. He tell me to go to the toilet. I say you no understand, I wanna shit onna my bed. He say you better no shit onna bed, you sonoffabitch.

I go to the check-out and the man at the desk say, "Peace on you".
I say, "Piss onna you too, you sonoffabitch. I gonna go backa to Italy"

(With apologies to any Italian members—I'm an Aussie.)

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.