Neil deGrasse Tyson - The Inexplicable Universe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2014, 04:44 PM
Neil deGrasse Tyson - The Inexplicable Universe
As we know, this young chap is a rather good communicator...

Sadly, he didn't cover my hypothesis of multiple time dimensions accounting for dark matter but I guess he doesn't know everything.

Anyway, this was an enjoyable 3 hours.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
10-08-2014, 05:42 PM
RE: Neil deGrasse Tyson - The Inexplicable Universe
Erm...

Tl, dw...

Might another time tho.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

12-08-2014, 12:22 AM
Funny thing about the photon moving at the speed of light: When at that speed time stops, his speed, which is measured as distance per time, in relation to itself is infinite. But that can not be. Nothing can move faster than the speed of light. Or is that restriction only in reference to our time frame?

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
12-08-2014, 01:15 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 12:17 PM by DLJ.)
(12-08-2014 12:22 AM)Youkay Wrote:  Funny thing about the photon moving at the speed of light: When at that speed time stops, his speed, which is measured as distance per time, in relation to itself is infinite. But that can not be. Nothing can move faster than the speed of light. Or is that restriction only in reference to our time frame?

Exactly.

My hypothesis holds that there is more than one time frame.

We can't detect matter/energy that exists in faster or slower time frames. We only detect that other stuff when the 'nows' coincide (like matter popping in and out of existence).

All this other stuff is what we call dark matter and dark energy.

cjlr hasn't proved me wrong yet so it must be true.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
12-08-2014, 03:29 AM
(12-08-2014 01:15 AM)DLJ Wrote:  cjlr hasn't proved me wrong yet so it must be true.

That's an adorable thing to say. Big Grin

But remember, this is physics, not phylosophy. Ideas need to be tested and confirmed by experiment, not by a string of deduction that is difficult to falsify using reasoning alone. Aaaah, science Smile You've got to love it... And I certainly don't have any idea to think of an experiment to test that idea of yours. Not my field...

In your idea, you would have to account for matter that "pops into existence" and then somehow synchronizes with our time frame, as it remains in existence. Ever ferreted that out?

But what I was referring to was simply relativity. I suppose "nothing can go faster than the speed of light" is probably a restriction that is only relative to outside observers.

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
12-08-2014, 04:00 AM
(12-08-2014 12:22 AM)Youkay Wrote:  Funny thing about the photon moving at the speed of light: When at that speed time stops, his speed, which is measured as distance per time, in relation to itself is infinite. But that can not be. Nothing can move faster than the speed of light. Or is that restriction only in reference to our time frame?

If you were sitting on a photon, both time and distance would be zero. Dividing one by the other would have no meaning.

My blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-08-2014, 11:56 AM
No, time is zero but not distance. As Neil deGrasse says, between the emission of the photon to the absorption somewhere far far away, for the photon these two things would happen at once. Its speed is infinite in relation to itself.

12-08-2014, 12:20 PM
(12-08-2014 11:56 AM)Youkay Wrote:  No, time is zero but not distance. As Neil deGrasse says, between the emission of the photon to the absorption somewhere far far away, for the photon these two things would happen at once. Its speed is infinite in relation to itself.

Ah ... believe it or not... I get it.

And now Blink m'noggin feels all fluffy.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
12-08-2014, 01:48 PM
Re: Neil deGrasse Tyson - The Inexplicable Universe
Was cool, there's a way to watch it in cut up segments and not in the 3 hour format.

As a frequent viewer of Neil, it does have several of his main go to topics of amusement. A lot of the historical info I hadn't ever heard.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
12-08-2014, 05:48 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 05:51 PM by zaybu.)
(12-08-2014 11:56 AM)Youkay Wrote:  No, time is zero but not distance. As Neil deGrasse says, between the emission of the photon to the absorption somewhere far far away, for the photon these two things would happen at once. Its speed is infinite in relation to itself.

Which part of "If you were sitting on a photon" don't you understand? We're calculating the speed with respect to the photon itself. What deGrasse is talking about is the speed with respect to an observer not on the photon. Therefore that speed is not in relationship to itself, which is what you had posted. With respect to any other observer, the speed of light is constant c= 3x10^8 m/s. With respect to itself, it's undefined.

My blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user