Neil deGrasse cracks me up.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2014, 01:49 PM
Neil deGrasse cracks me up.
http://nypost.com/2014/12/26/astrophysic...mas-tweet/

Quote:Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson sparked an Internet supernova on Christmas Day when he took to Twitter to troll Christians.

“On this day long ago, a child was born who, by age 30, would transform the world,” the “Cosmos” host tweeted Thursday. “Happy Birthday Isaac Newton b. Dec 25, 1642.”

The meteoric missive by the director of the Hayden Planetarium was retweeted more than 57,000 times and sparked plenty of vitriol.

“This is disrespectful to Christians. Jesus created the science you cherish so much.

Everyone finds God eventually, you will too,” @brianfagioli chimed in.

Tyson — long despised among religious conservatives — further incensed the faithful celebrating the birth of Jesus by tweeting: “Merry Christmas to all. A Pagan holiday (BC) becomes a Religious holiday (AD). Which then becomes a Shopping holiday (USA).”

Others disputed the date Tyson cited for the birth of Newton, the father of modern physics.

“No, he didn’t,” tweeted @fedkusko. “According to the Gregorian calendar he was born January 4th 1643.”

Newton was born while England used the Julian calendar, which put his birthdate as Dec. 25, 1642 — while the Gregorian calendar was used elsewhere.

Jesus Christ’s birthdate also has been questioned and researchers believe the Dec. 25 date was chosen because it coincided with existing pagan festivals.

Tyson glossed over the date in yet another tweet: “QUESTION: This year, what do all world’s Muslims and Jews call December 25th? ANSWER: Thursday.”

Tyson could not be immediately reached for comment Friday.

Not everyone was bothered by the brouhaha, with @rafaelordaya tweeting: “@neiltyson is a troll, but a lovey troll. Merry Christmas.”
Filed under Christmas, Jesus Christ, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Social Media

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 14 users Like Dom's post
26-12-2014, 01:59 PM
RE: Neil deGrasse cracks me up.
Quote:Jesus created the science you cherish so much.

Laughat

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
26-12-2014, 02:36 PM
Fun fact: Newton's first law was invented by Parisian Jean Buridan in the 14th century by combining the statement that Jesus is the only begotten son of God, dogmatically declared at the 4th(?) Lateran council, and Aristotle's metaphysics.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
26-12-2014, 02:53 PM
(26-12-2014 02:36 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Fun fact: Newton's first law was invented by Parisian Jean Buridan in the 14th century by combining the statement that Jesus is the only begotten son of God, dogmatically declared at the 4th(?) Lateran council, and Aristotle's metaphysics.

While he described motion as caused by impetus - a property of the object - how does Jesus enter into it? That sounds made up. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-12-2014, 09:46 PM
I like that one, but I've moved on I think to a better celebration.

Let me take you down a journey to a man who was also born on the 25th of December. He gave us a world of wonderous mystery and making great internal discoveries that made us question the fabric or reality around us... that man, Rod Serling. Born 90 years ago on Christmas day.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
27-12-2014, 01:57 AM
"Internet supernova"? i'm doubtful it is equivalent to a supernova in any way when it is only a small amount of people who are offended by a joke on the internet.

Now the celebrity nude leaks was an internet supernova. This isn't.
[+] 1 user Likes Kaepora Gaebora's post
27-12-2014, 02:03 AM
Found this. Love the Internet!

[Image: qX1W0il.jpg]

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
27-12-2014, 02:04 AM
(26-12-2014 02:36 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Fun fact Bullshit Anecdote: Newton's first law was invented by Parisian Jean Buridan in the 14th century by combining the statement that Jesus is the only begotten son of God, dogmatically declared at the 4th(?) Lateran council, and Aristotle's metaphysics.

Fixed that for you. Drinking Beverage

You no longer get to use the word fact until you can demonstrate you actually know what it means.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
27-12-2014, 06:39 AM
(26-12-2014 01:59 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
Quote:Jesus created the science you cherish so much.

Laughat

I know. It's like he doesn't even know his own mythology. Even I remember the opening of the Nicaean Creed: "I believe in God, the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.". All the stuff about Jesus comes much later.

Although, in his favor, his mythology is pretty confusing, contradictory, and stupid.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
27-12-2014, 06:58 AM
It's funny because the statement is so benign and factual that you can't even twist it into an insult, but yet christians will be offended by it. Isaac Newton was born on the 25th of december; fact. He was a genius who fundamentally changed the way we understand the world; fact. Nope though, was attacking christians, coz Isaac Newton was born in June and never achieved shit apparently.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
[+] 1 user Likes Cetaceaphile's post