Neo lamarckism: Give it a chance...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-11-2012, 07:38 PM
Hold on, I'm not a wacko! Wink I'm a biologist and I work with evolution on a daily basis. Here's the argument:

Natural selection was capable to generate a species able to rationalize the world at an extent beyond any other living organism - Homo sapiens.

This species, using the scientific method, generated sufficient knowledge to effectively alter its own genetic traits. Indeed, in a few years, it will be possible to apply genetic therapy in a very large scale.

Therefore, I think that Homo sapiens will be evolving in a way that is more proximate to neo-lamarckism, than to neo-darwinism.

(I know that normally we exclude ourselves from nature. But the reality is that our species is turning the 'blind watchmaker' in a Mr. Magoo)

What's your opinon?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes tiagorod84's post
27-11-2012, 07:44 PM
Re: Neo lamarckism: Give it a chance...
The fundamentalist Christians will burn the research labs to the ground as soon as they become educated enough to understand what you're doing. Them and the Luddites will then block it legislatively.

This research might succeed elsewhere, or at some future time, but I cannot speculate on that.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
27-11-2012, 09:14 PM
RE: Neo lamarckism: Give it a chance...
(27-11-2012 07:38 PM)tiagorod84 Wrote:  Hold on, I'm not a wacko! Wink I'm a biologist and I work with evolution on a daily basis. Here's the argument:

Natural selection was capable to generate a species able to rationalize the world at an extent beyond any other living organism - Homo sapiens.

This species, using the scientific method, generated sufficient knowledge to effectively alter its own genetic traits. Indeed, in a few years, it will be possible to apply genetic therapy in a very large scale.

Therefore, I think that Homo sapiens will be evolving in a way that is more proximate to neo-lamarckism, than to neo-darwinism.

(I know that normally we exclude ourselves from nature. But the reality is that our species is turning the 'blind watchmaker' in a Mr. Magoo)

What's your opinon?
Not unreasonable, but let's please find s different name for it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
27-11-2012, 09:33 PM
(27-11-2012 09:14 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-11-2012 07:38 PM)tiagorod84 Wrote:  Hold on, I'm not a wacko! Wink I'm a biologist and I work with evolution on a daily basis. Here's the argument:

What's your opinon?
Not unreasonable, but let's please find s different name for it.
You're absolutely right. Neo-lamarckism would be misleading. In this case I've used it because it is the concept that more easily illustrates my idea.
27-11-2012, 09:51 PM
Neo-anything just makes it sound dumb.

Another name is definitely in order.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
27-11-2012, 10:01 PM
Since I've started this thread and I'm a biologist I'll just call it after me 'Tiagoism'. Big Grin

But, seriously, give a name to this would be fun. Any suggestions?
27-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Would these genetic therapies be an all-in-one or separate therapies? That could mean for a lot of names...

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
27-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Excelent question. I guess that for an effective control on the evolution of the species, it would have to be a all-in-one, an integrated alteration.

Now, if this strategy serves a certain group, it already has a name: Eugenics!

If it serves Humanity to improve the quality of life, I would call it something like 'controlled evolution'. (Not very original... But, I'm really not good at this Wink)
27-11-2012, 11:08 PM
(27-11-2012 09:51 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Neo-anything just makes it sound dumb.

Another name is definitely in order.

Yet Neo-atheist makes sense. At least in an American context.

As to the OP, what are the ramifications of this in terms of building the Fourth Reich? Consider

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
27-11-2012, 11:28 PM
(27-11-2012 11:08 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  As to the OP, what are the ramifications of this in terms of building the Fourth Reich? Consider
I've actually posed the argument from a biological point of view. But, I think I've turned into a political one, by bringing Eugenics to the thread.

I think that the hypothesis of taking over the fate of our evolution has many dangerous ramifications.

I would just consider such a scenario in very special circumstances. Let me give you an example: A mortal fast-spreading virus that uses a specific surface protein to enter in the cell. And, there is a certain mutation that causes a slight modification on that surface protein, not allowing the virus to enter.

From a darwinian point of view there are 2 scenarios:

- The mutation is present in some populations and, consequently, the humanity will be reduced to those populations

- The mutation is not present in any population and thereby we're doomed.

From a 'controlled evolution' point of view, it can be applied gene therapy (I don't see how, but science always finds the way) and/or the modification of the embryos genome, in order to include this mutation.

But of course, for now, this is just science fiction and theoretical proposals