Nervous about Surgery

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2016, 08:07 AM
Nervous about Surgery
Well after just over 2 years since I started trying to get Bariatric surgery and fighting with insurance then switching to company that actually covers it. I'm now only 6 days away from going under the Knife on the 23rd. While I'm excited to finally have the surgery done so that I have the tool I need to get to a normal weight and stay there, I'm also really nervous at the same time as this is the first time I've had major surgery before and will be the longest time I've ever been under anesthesia (4-6 hours I was under to get my wisdom teeth out but I was only out for an hour at most).

Also I haven't had solid food for a week now per the pre-operative diet requirements to help shrink my liver down so that it doesn't get in the way during the surgery. The good news is the surgery is laparoscopic instead of open which is nice.

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Worom's post
17-05-2016, 08:09 AM
RE: Nervous about Surgery
I have a friend who had this done like 5 years ago, and she is slim and happy.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
17-05-2016, 08:24 AM
Hug

Wishing you all the best!

Thumbsup
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post
17-05-2016, 08:44 AM
Oh wow.

I hope everything works out. ^^

Hug

☆☆☆
[+] 2 users Like CosmicRaven's post
17-05-2016, 08:45 AM
oh wow. A good friend just had theirs done finally. Smile

As far as I've heard they're doing great.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-05-2016, 09:47 AM
(17-05-2016 08:07 AM)Worom Wrote:  Well after just over 2 years since I started trying to get Bariatric surgery and fighting with insurance then switching to company that actually covers it. I'm now only 6 days away from going under the Knife on the 23rd. While I'm excited to finally have the surgery done so that I have the tool I need to get to a normal weight and stay there, I'm also really nervous at the same time as this is the first time I've had major surgery before and will be the longest time I've ever been under anesthesia (4-6 hours I was under to get my wisdom teeth out but I was only out for an hour at most).

Also I haven't had solid food for a week now per the pre-operative diet requirements to help shrink my liver down so that it doesn't get in the way during the surgery. The good news is the surgery is laparoscopic instead of open which is nice.

I am by no means a doctor and I do not have all the details of your condition, so talk to your personal physician about this. But if this surgery is for weight loss, have you considered taking the $3000+ that you will have to spend on this and consult with a personal trainer and a dietician about an serious exercise program as well as a good, nutritious diet. I would seriously consider doing this instead of a surgery which will permanently alter your digestive tract and can have other complications.

i apologize if that comes across as preachy, but I'm convinced too many people run to these kinds of medical procedures for problems which can be solved by other minimally invasive means. I got to be 70-80 lbs overweight and started doing this and lost 30 lbs over about 6 months. I now do crossfit and weight training to stay in shape. An added benefit to this route is that it does wonders with depression, if you struggle with that. Your body is a temple; treat it right and it will look and feel great. Treat it poorly, it will look terrible.

Something to think about.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
17-05-2016, 11:56 AM
(17-05-2016 09:47 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 08:07 AM)Worom Wrote:  Well after just over 2 years since I started trying to get Bariatric surgery and fighting with insurance then switching to company that actually covers it. I'm now only 6 days away from going under the Knife on the 23rd. While I'm excited to finally have the surgery done so that I have the tool I need to get to a normal weight and stay there, I'm also really nervous at the same time as this is the first time I've had major surgery before and will be the longest time I've ever been under anesthesia (4-6 hours I was under to get my wisdom teeth out but I was only out for an hour at most).

I am by no means a doctor and I do not have all the details of your condition, so talk to your personal physician about this. But if this surgery is for weight loss, have you considered taking the $3000+ that you will have to spend on this and consult with a personal trainer and a dietician about an serious exercise program as well as a good, nutritious diet. I would seriously consider doing this instead of a surgery which will permanently alter your digestive tract and can have other complications.

i apologize if that comes across as preachy, but I'm convinced too many people run to these kinds of medical procedures for problems which can be solved by other minimally invasive means. I got to be 70-80 lbs overweight and started doing this and lost 30 lbs over about 6 months. I now do crossfit and weight training to stay in shape. An added benefit to this route is that it does wonders with depression, if you struggle with that. Your body is a temple; treat it right and it will look and feel great. Treat it poorly, it will look terrible.

Something to think about.

The personal trainer and diet option is something I have explored in the past, I was able to stick with it for a while but eventually my willpower just gave out, and I didn't have the tools I needed to get back to where I needed to be in order to continue. I have worked closely with my doctors and I've had two different primary care physicians as well as my pulmonologist all recommend that I pursue surgery as a permanent solution. In my personal history I have never been normal weight, I was heavy as a kid, teenager, and even now as an Adult and at this point the impact to my health is reaching a point where its basically now or never as the risk is as low as its going to get at this point. If I wait longer and I fail at changing then I will lose the ability to get the surgery possibly forever as I had to change my insurance company under the ACA and with that under constant attack and with the election there is a good possibility it will be gone within the next year or two and my employer refuses to cover the procedure under any circumstances.

With the surgery it gives me a permanent tool to use to help me lose the weight that I need to as it forces me to eat healthy, and once the weight starts to come off as I'm 200lbs overweight at the moment it will become easier to exercise.

I don't really see it as preachy, as I can understand as the concern of going the surgical route, I do consider it the last resort option and I have tried multiple other avenues before with varying amounts of success but nothing ever got me to where I need to be and none of it was permanent. I did calorie counting, Atkins, Physician monitored diets, and gyms before I decided on this route.

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan
17-05-2016, 12:20 PM

Congrats on your desires being met. I've had several surgeries and I will say attitude is nearly everything. Talk yourself into this being the best thing you've ever done for yourself and it will go much better. Good luck and be well. Hug

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 2 users Like Heatheness's post
17-05-2016, 03:24 PM
Have you discussed non-surgical devices with your physician? FDA approves non-surgical temporary balloon device to treat obesity.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
18-05-2016, 08:28 AM
(17-05-2016 03:24 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Have you discussed non-surgical devices with your physician? FDA approves non-surgical temporary balloon device to treat obesity.

No, I had heard of the device through my news feeds a while ago. However in reading the article there the BMI range it is meant for is 35-40 my BMI is around 54 so I'm out of the range of treatment for the device, appreciate the suggestion though.
Lap band was another option I had thought about, but ended up going against it as the excess weight loss is only about 35% and is prone to slippage and once removed has a very high failure rate, I think it was around 75% of people regain on lap band.
The surgeons around here actually will not do lap band anymore because of that.

I also want to thank everyone for thier support and suggestions as well Smile

― Carl Sagan
[+] 1 user Likes Worom's post