Netflix - Stranger Things

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2016, 01:40 PM
Netflix - Stranger Things
***SPOILER ALERT*** (None in this post, but the conversation may go that way)

Have you guys seen this? I think it's totally killer! I think they got the 80s nostalgia right without pandering too much. I thought the story was great, the acting was excellent, the look and feel of it was right. Just a really cool show! I can't wait for Season 2.

I only had two minor qualms with it, but I'll save those for a little later.

What did you guys think?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Mr. Boston's post
17-08-2016, 06:19 PM
RE: Netflix - Stranger Things
Yes, watched it a few weeks back. Best thing I've watched from the US in ages. I rationed myself to a couple if episodes per evening rather than binge watching the whole thing.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
17-08-2016, 06:37 PM
I loved it so much!!! The scene where two of the characters are talking in front of an open locker and there was a Trapper Keeper in there... I kid you not I just had a huge wave of nostalgia hit me so hard because of that damn Trapper Keeper that I actually missed what the characters were saying so I had to rewind to catch it again. Tongue

17-08-2016, 06:39 PM
Having lived through the '80s I agree that they have it down pretty good. I laughed when one person unboxed a phone and got it to working in under two minutes. These days it takes two hours to download the updates before you can make a call. Blink
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-08-2016, 06:40 PM
Oh, and the Pinto was perfect.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-08-2016, 07:04 AM
My only two qualms were very minor, but here they are:

1. They didn't give Matthew Modine's character Papa/Dr. Brenner enough to do. I understand that the show was about the kids and if this is a throwback to 80s sci-fi there sort of HAS to be a 1-dimensional grown-up bad guy. But I feel like they missed a real opportunity to fill in some of his backstory and illustrate any moral misgivings he might have had about the research and the way 11 was treated. The writers could have plumbed his relationship with 11 a little more, and developed his character more fully seems to me.

2. The score was dead-on in terms of one very specific 80s sound. But there could have been more variety seems to me. I get that music is used to establish the tone of a film/show but as good as it was it was a bit narrow I thought. Oh well, very small gripe overall.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
18-08-2016, 07:10 AM
It is pretty good. 4/5 from me.
My wife was nervous about the particle effects in Pokemon Go after watching. She says Pokemon exist in the upside down.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
28-08-2016, 01:38 PM
This show was incredible.
10/10.
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
28-08-2016, 01:43 PM
(18-08-2016 07:04 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  My only two qualms were very minor, but here they are:

1. They didn't give Matthew Modine's character Papa/Dr. Brenner enough to do. I understand that the show was about the kids and if this is a throwback to 80s sci-fi there sort of HAS to be a 1-dimensional grown-up bad guy. But I feel like they missed a real opportunity to fill in some of his backstory and illustrate any moral misgivings he might have had about the research and the way 11 was treated. The writers could have plumbed his relationship with 11 a little more, and developed his character more fully seems to me.

2. The score was dead-on in terms of one very specific 80s sound. But there could have been more variety seems to me. I get that music is used to establish the tone of a film/show but as good as it was it was a bit narrow I thought. Oh well, very small gripe overall.

It looks like a lock for season 2, so maybe they'll address these issues. Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
29-08-2016, 08:25 PM
Stranger Things was a masterpiece to me, a love letter to the 80's and early 90s. I was born in 1984 and it really took me back to those innocent days of watching sci fi movies and reading fantasy books.

Other than the nostalgia the entire production was top notch, the styling and set design was perfect, the acting especially from the kids was all surprisingly amazing and the soundtrack fit the story very well. I liked how they had some kid stuff, some teenager stuff and some adult drama with the sheriff and the kids parents, it was trying to hit it the story at all levels and it worked well.

My only gripe was probably the choices made for Will's mom played by Winona Ryder, she just looked too shabby and unkempt and her performance was a little too neurotic and crazy even for a mom losing her mind from missing her son it was just too much. Other than that it was fucking awesome and I can't wait for Season 2!

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post