Netflix - Stranger Things

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-08-2016, 08:30 PM
RE: Netflix - Stranger Things
(18-08-2016 07:04 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  My only two qualms were very minor, but here they are:

1. They didn't give Matthew Modine's character Papa/Dr. Brenner enough to do. I understand that the show was about the kids and if this is a throwback to 80s sci-fi there sort of HAS to be a 1-dimensional grown-up bad guy. But I feel like they missed a real opportunity to fill in some of his backstory and illustrate any moral misgivings he might have had about the research and the way 11 was treated. The writers could have plumbed his relationship with 11 a little more, and developed his character more fully seems to me.

2. The score was dead-on in terms of one very specific 80s sound. But there could have been more variety seems to me. I get that music is used to establish the tone of a film/show but as good as it was it was a bit narrow I thought. Oh well, very small gripe overall.

I agree that Dr. Brenner was a bit one note and extremely psychopathic, I get if his research requires him to be cut off emotionally since he's been working for so long and so hard and had some failures (what about the other 10?) but what about the guys working with him? First of all they have to be pretty evil to allow the abuses to this little girl. What are they getting out of it besides a pay check, the part when she kills those two orderly/security guys did the other guys consider quitting? I mean, that girl could just snap their necks, I'd be running for the door.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2016, 06:33 PM
Hey Guys! Netflix has released a trailer featuring the chapter titles for Season 2! It doesn't show anything but it's still super exciting!

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
31-08-2016, 06:45 PM
Watched it, loved it. Can't wait for season two.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
31-08-2016, 10:54 PM
Best series I've seen in a long, long time. Hope they can keep it up.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
30-10-2017, 08:03 AM
My wife and I just binged all of Season 2 in two nights. It was great!

Spoilers

I think the ending of this season wrapped up a bit more neatly than season 1. The ending of 1 had a couple of obvious cliffhangers. There are still some things from S2 that could be explored, but the ends have been more neatly tied up. Even Barb got some closure. Sure, they showed the Upside-down looming at the end of the season, but it all seemed neatly contained. It wasn't like with Will puking up one of those slugs at the end. I guess Dustin got some of that slime in his mouth, but it didn't seem to have any obvious effect on Hopper. We'll have to wait and see if that means anything in S3.

God, I hope there's a Season 3.

I like how some of the characters changed since the prior season. Mike took more of a backseat roll as he's focused on Eleven. This let Dustin and Lucas take more of a lead this season. I like how Mike and Nancy's dad has become even more of a joke than in S1. Several of the characters lampshade it, even.

The only thing I remember bothering me offhand was the super unrealistic arcade game, sitting right next to a bunch of legit ones. Also, you didn't get six characters for your name when you got a high score. I guess they figured "DUSTIN" was easier to catch than his initials.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
30-10-2017, 08:08 AM
It's on my list.
I started watching season one this weekend and fell asleep half way through the first episode.
It wasn't the fault of the show.
It started out very good.
I was just exhausted.
I'll go back in.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
[+] 2 users Like BikerDude's post
30-10-2017, 08:31 AM
(30-10-2017 08:03 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  My wife and I just binged all of Season 2 in two nights. It was great!

Spoilers

I think the ending of this season wrapped up a bit more neatly than season 1. The ending of 1 had a couple of obvious cliffhangers. There are still some things from S2 that could be explored, but the ends have been more neatly tied up. Even Barb got some closure. Sure, they showed the Upside-down looming at the end of the season, but it all seemed neatly contained. It wasn't like with Will puking up one of those slugs at the end. I guess Dustin got some of that slime in his mouth, but it didn't seem to have any obvious effect on Hopper. We'll have to wait and see if that means anything in S3.

God, I hope there's a Season 3.

Season 3 has been greenlighted. However, according to the news I read, Charlie Heaton was detained at LAX because of traces of cocaine in his luggage, then denied access to the U.S and sent back to the U.K. (he's British). I'm not sure how that might affect the next season.

The Duffer brothers said they deliberately avoided the same kinds of hints this season as they used at the end of last season. No doubt the Mind Flayer will figure out how to break through into Hawkins and possess Jane next season. I wouldn't be surprised if Eight showed up to help out. They need to give Will Byers a break anyhow.
30-10-2017, 10:47 AM
Yeah, I'm glad they went back to Eight for an episode. It's nice that she was immediately friendly to Eleven. She's one of those things I mentioned that could be further explored. Or, they could just dump something entirely new on Hawkins.

Side note: I liked Eleven's look after hanging out with Eight in Chicago. Bitchen.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
10-11-2017, 02:13 PM
Stranger Things
So, who's finished season 2?!?!?

Btw if you have don't forget spoiler tags if you're gonna post anything about what happens. Smile

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
10-11-2017, 02:19 PM
RE: Stranger Things
I have. it was a little slow getting moving for my taste, but once it did..whoooo..

I'm not really sure how it will come back for season 3...I mean, if it ended now I'd be perfectly happy and satisfied.

if we're still just dealing with the same shit again it's going to get old.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post