Neurological Testing Question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2011, 04:34 AM
Neurological Testing Question
Is it possible to observe and evaluate a person's brain activity when presented with varying logical questions?
To clarify, I would like to see and have explained to me the output of a neurological scan that is obtained while asking a person various logical questions. I would like know the difference in what happens when they get a question right, get a question wrong, and most importantly, what happens when they think they are right but are wrong and discover they have flawed logical processes.

This type of study obviously can not disprove religion but I think it would be helpful in understanding what happens inside of a person when they can not comprehend something that they think they understand. (comprehension would have to be tested as well)

I feel I have not presented this subject very well so please do your best to decode this random thought.
If you know a neuro-scientist help me out and get this done! hahaha Tongue

even the smartest man in the world is an idiot
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2011, 10:42 AM

RE: Neurological Testing Question
Monitoring the cortex for blood flow and electrical activity is fairly possible. However, little association has been found between physical evidence and logical (or illogical) arguments. This is also the reason why polygraphing is a process that cannot really read truth telling or lying but rather neurological activity that is nothing but the merest shadow of the actual cognitive process behind the effect.

In addition, such a method could never be used as an argument against religion since believers believe themselves to be logical.

However, assuming that believers cognitive process rely on recall ("I heard that, and thus I'm telling you the same believing/knowing that it is true") rather than meta-cognitive functions that require the firing of more neurons, I would expect that overall the cortex of a believer arguing for the existence of god in comparison to the cortex of a non-believer arguing against it would exhibit significantly less firing.

The non-believer would attempt to provide compelling arguments (something that requires thinking) whereas the believer would just tap into his memory to recall what others told him. Dodgy
Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2011, 01:13 PM
well my idea is not to disprove religion (though i wish it could) but simply have a study that shows that a religious person is dumber at some psychological level.

i have more to write but i want to move on with my day
thanks a ton for the reply and giving me something to read

11-05-2011, 01:23 PM

(11-05-2011 01:13 PM)dredmal Wrote:  well my idea is not to disprove religion (though i wish it could) but simply have a study that shows that a religious person is dumber at some psychological level.

Well, associations between IQ and religiosity have been found. You can find a lot of interesting sources in this Wikipedia's page. Sleepy

(11-05-2011 01:13 PM)dredmal Wrote:  thanks a ton for the reply and giving me something to read

Thank you for asking. You have no idea how much I hunger for intelligent discussion. In real life, I feel like I'm surrounded by amoebas.
Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Quote:ou have no idea how much I hunger for intelligent discussion.

i figured most people would view my question/idea as crazy talk haha