Neurological problems

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2017, 05:26 AM
RE: Neurological problems
This is awful, Mathilda. As others have pointed out, MS is all over the map and it's not unusual for people with bad prognoses to have better outcomes than predicted. Let's hope that's the case for you.

I am truly sorry for your diagnosis though. I have lived with chronic illness -- mine and others -- and it is a huge quality of life issue, but give the doctors time and work with them. My wife died, I was totally cured -- the range of outcomes are thusly bracketed. Hope endures. The simple fact you have a clear diagnosis / label is a boon that you can only appreciate if you imagine how you'd feel now if the doctors could find "nothing wrong" with you, and that just went on and on. That was my late wife's situation for years. She would have told you, not knowing what you're dealing with, and seeing the judgment in the eyes of some people when you can't explain it, is worse than the disease itself. So this is progress, even though it feels like (and is) a huge loss.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
28-03-2017, 08:13 AM
Damn. Sorry to see this. Hopefully a regime of medicine will help you. Hug
28-03-2017, 08:32 AM
(11-03-2017 04:55 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Went to a neurologist yesterday because I have chronic pins and needles (paresthesia) all over my body. Started in the soles of my feet along with numbness in my pelvis last Saturday night. Parethesia spread up my legs, up my torso, from my finger tips up my arms. Numbness has spread over entire legs and they feel frozen all the time. A tightness across the tummy and pelvis. Constantly feeling constipated when I am not.

Walking is painful. Typing is painful and I can only use my two index fingers now so apologies for not making long replies.

Sense of balance is off and I have a feeling of buoyancy when I walk. Strength isn't diminished though. I can still write, move quickly if need be, it's just my sensory input affected.

This started last Saturday and has taken a week to spread this far. Neurologist reckons that it is a post infection inflammation in my neck from the flu like symptoms I had at the beginning of February. I had to take a day off work which is unusual for me. He doesn't think that it is Guillain Barre syndrome. Unlikely to be Multiple Sclerosis because the key is in the name, multiple. It's only the sensory input from my body that is affected. Although it is an outside chance.

He thinks it should start to clear up in a week or two. A bit worried about my future. I've accepted a good job offer starting in April and will be presenting a paper at a conference in late April. I'm not planning on putting my current job on my CV. It was just to pay the bills as sole bread winner. It's a fixed term contract for 6 months with a week's notice. I started in January.

Mathilda,

Get well soon.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
28-03-2017, 08:56 AM
OMG Mathilda! Ohmy

HeartHeartHeart I'm so sorry. Hoping the best for you and that you are able to manage the symptoms. HeartHeartHeart
28-03-2017, 12:02 PM
(27-03-2017 09:44 PM)Astreja Wrote:  Mathilda, so sorry to hear about the diagnosis. Is it primary or relapsing-remitting MS? (The latter is the easier one to manage, as there are disease-modifying drugs available that can keep it under decent control for a long time.)

It's relapsing remitting. Can hardly type but my legs are now getting better and they started a week earlier although not as bad.

2nd scan revealed lesions in corpus callosum are much older, possibly many years older, but I did not notice any difference.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
28-03-2017, 12:21 PM
(28-03-2017 12:02 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 09:44 PM)Astreja Wrote:  Mathilda, so sorry to hear about the diagnosis. Is it primary or relapsing-remitting MS? (The latter is the easier one to manage, as there are disease-modifying drugs available that can keep it under decent control for a long time.)

It's relapsing remitting. Can hardly type but my legs are now getting better and they started a week earlier although not as bad.

2nd scan revealed lesions in corpus callosum are much older, possibly many years older, but I did not notice any difference.
Steroids may help you here especially during acute attacks also don't forget that in 1983 AIDS then newly discovered was a death sentence and only 14 years later effective meds were developed and now its a chronic manageable condition. Please keep your hope and spirits up, remember its not over til the fat lady sings Hug Heart
[+] 4 users Like adey67's post
01-04-2017, 02:37 PM
Turns out I'm possessed by a demon!

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/pat-r...e-rebuked/

P.S That strike through on my name gave me a start!
[+] 4 users Like Mathilda's post
01-04-2017, 02:44 PM
(01-04-2017 02:37 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Turns out I'm possessed by a demon!

Well, there you go - just rebuke it - easy peasy. Like Pat says, “you need in the name of Jesus to rebuke that thing and to say to your body, ‘You will be whole!’”

Pat needs to be put out of everyones' misery. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
01-04-2017, 02:46 PM
How are you today? Heart Is there recognizable difference?

Have you heard anymore from the doctors? Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
01-04-2017, 02:49 PM
(01-04-2017 02:37 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Turns out I'm possessed by a demon!

Pat Robertson is a senile old fool, but that hasn't changed much of what spills out of his mouth. Hope you're doing better!