Neuter my dog?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Neuter my dog?
So my dog ran off the other day after some female. We're working to get him back but this brings up an issue. Should I get him neutered?

He's a German Shepherd and although I don't want to breed him I don't want to have any changes in his temperament. There are ZERO behavioral issues with him, no aggression no nipping nothing. In fact I could stand for a bit more aggression towards people who come to our house. Most useless guard dog ever...Tongue

I've also heard that there are health problems associated with neutering long term. I know it decreases the risk of some things but it does increase others. Perhaps the health thing is a wash, but I'm not sure.

The only thing that I would want this to change is his desire to get off his run and seek females. So I'm wondering if it's worth it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-12-2013, 11:55 AM
RE: Neuter my dog?
If you don't wish to breed him responsibly then Yes by all means get him neutered.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
26-12-2013, 12:08 PM
I feel great but if you're responsible pet owner Spaying or neutering is necessary. I've always thought as long as you handle your pet responsibly I don't think there's any need to do such a thing. I personally think it falls under genital mutilation but that's just me. (mostly just cause the animal can't consent to the procedure) but if you think it's the right thing for your pet I say go ahead.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-12-2013, 12:20 PM
(26-12-2013 11:43 AM)natachan Wrote:  So my dog ran off the other day after some female. We're working to get him back but this brings up an issue. Should I get him neutered?

He's a German Shepherd and although I don't want to breed him I don't want to have any changes in his temperament. There are ZERO behavioral issues with him, no aggression no nipping nothing. In fact I could stand for a bit more aggression towards people who come to our house. Most useless guard dog ever...Tongue

I've also heard that there are health problems associated with neutering long term. I know it decreases the risk of some things but it does increase others. Perhaps the health thing is a wash, but I'm not sure.

The only thing that I would want this to change is his desire to get off his run and seek females. So I'm wondering if it's worth it.

That neutering affects aggression is a myth. If you don't want to breed him, save him a lot of frustration and give him a longer life - neuter him.

Also, German Shepherds are some of the best defenders. I used to train them with the police. Do you know which puppies are picked for police service? The most outgoing, friendly, curious ones. The aggressive ones are NEVER EVER picked.

A good German Shepherd is an outgoing, friendly animal. This in no way impacts the ability to tell when s/he sees a dangerous human. Quite the opposite, these dogs have a deeper understanding of humans than the aggressive ones.

Aggression in dogs is fear based. The aggressive dog is simply one that hides fear by displaying aggression. It is the most useless in defense. An obviously frightened dog even makes a better protector.

So, you do not want an aggressive Sheppie at all. You want a friendly one, and you want him to meet as many people and dogs as you can arrange. The more good humans he meets, the better his sense will be developed to detect the dangerous ones.

There is a huge difference between a "guard dog" and a protection dog.

A guard dog is an aggressive animal that is unpredictable and needs to be always kept behind a fence and away from people. It has zero judgment.

A protection dog can be trusted to make autonomous decisions and should be kept around people all the time.

What good is the guard dog when you have to lock him away while the fake plumber gains access to you and your family?

If your German Shepherd is outgoing and friendly, you have a gem.

And go ahead and fix him, he will be a happier, healthier dog with a longer life.

If you have any training questions, bring it on. I love German Shepherds and have many years experience in training, and currently own a fully trained police dog.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 8 users Like Dom's post
26-12-2013, 12:31 PM
You know I have noticed that he is VERY good at judging people. I thought he was picking it up from me and my bf, but maybe it's something else. Creepy people come down to the house? Does not like. Family, friends (even ones he's never met), even the mail person and UPS guy? He's cool.
26-12-2013, 12:34 PM
(26-12-2013 12:20 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(26-12-2013 11:43 AM)natachan Wrote:  So my dog ran off the other day after some female. We're working to get him back but this brings up an issue. Should I get him neutered?

That neutering affects aggression is a myth. If you don't want to breed him, save him a lot of frustration and give him a longer life - neuter him.

Also, German Shepherds are some of the best defenders. I used to train them with the police. Do you know which puppies are picked for police service? The most outgoing, friendly, curious ones. The aggressive ones are NEVER EVER picked.

A good German Shepherd is an outgoing, friendly animal. This in no way impacts the ability to tell when s/he sees a dangerous human. Quite the opposite, these dogs have a deeper understanding of humans than the aggressive ones.

Aggression in dogs is fear based. The aggressive dog is simply one that hides fear by displaying aggression. It is the most useless in defense. An obviously frightened dog even makes a better protector.

So, you do not want an aggressive Sheppie at all. You want a friendly one, and you want him to meet as many people and dogs as you can arrange. The more good humans he meets, the better his sense will be developed to detect the dangerous ones.

There is a huge difference between a "guard dog" and a protection dog.

A guard dog is an aggressive animal that is unpredictable and needs to be always kept behind a fence and away from people. It has zero judgment.

A protection dog can be trusted to make autonomous decisions and should be kept around people all the time.

What good is the guard dog when you have to lock him away while the fake plumber gains access to you and your family?

If your German Shepherd is outgoing and friendly, you have a gem.

And go ahead and fix him, he will be a happier, healthier dog with a longer life.

If you have any training questions, bring it on. I love German Shepherds and have many years experience in training, and currently own a fully trained police dog.

We have two German shepherds in our family and I swear those dog's abilities to gauge people is absolutely epic. I ALWAYS listen to the dog.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 2 users Like WitchSabrina's post
26-12-2013, 12:41 PM
Dangit you guys! Now I want a German Shepard. We have such a little house though.

I just remember when my grandparents had one... Bear... He was the best dog in the world!!
26-12-2013, 12:47 PM
(26-12-2013 12:41 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Dangit you guys! Now I want a German Shepard. We have such a little house though.

I just remember when my grandparents had one... Bear... He was the best dog in the world!!

You can have a huge palace and your dog will always be where you are anyways. Just don't trip over him. Smile

You do need to be able to take him for walks though, and have a place where you can throw a ball for some exercise.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
26-12-2013, 12:49 PM
He won't play fetch though. He plays "watch the human throw the ball." If I want the ball so damn badly I can go get it myself.
26-12-2013, 12:56 PM
(26-12-2013 12:49 PM)natachan Wrote:  He won't play fetch though. He plays "watch the human throw the ball." If I want the ball so damn badly I can go get it myself.

Get a Kong and smear a tad of peanut butter in it. Let him have it a couple times. (the Kong will last a life time. [yours] )
Put him on a loooong leash (tracking leash or just a rope) and throw it close by. When he picks it up, praise, tell him "come", reel him in , take it and give it back so he can lick the peanut butter.

After a few sessions, throwing just a LITTLE further each time, you got a retrieving dog.

Always end a session on a positive note. Even if he fails, have him do something you KNOW he can do and end on praise.

[+] 2 users Like Dom's post