Neuter my dog?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2013, 02:05 PM
RE: Neuter my dog?
(26-12-2013 12:56 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(26-12-2013 12:49 PM)natachan Wrote:  He won't play fetch though. He plays "watch the human throw the ball." If I want the ball so damn badly I can go get it myself.

Get a Kong and smear a tad of peanut butter in it. Let him have it a couple times. (the Kong will last a life time. [yours] )
Put him on a loooong leash (tracking leash or just a rope) and throw it close by. When he picks it up, praise, tell him "come", reel him in , take it and give it back so he can lick the peanut butter.

After a few sessions, throwing just a LITTLE further each time, you got a retrieving dog.

Always end a session on a positive note. Even if he fails, have him do something you KNOW he can do and end on praise.

Training a dog is ALL about repetitiveness, consistency and reward.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
26-12-2013, 02:15 PM
(26-12-2013 02:05 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Training a dog is ALL about repetitiveness, consistency and reward.

Kinda like training a husband...

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
26-12-2013, 02:18 PM
(26-12-2013 11:43 AM)natachan Wrote:  So my dog ran off the other day after some female. We're working to get him back but this brings up an issue. Should I get him neutered?

He's a German Shepherd and although I don't want to breed him I don't want to have any changes in his temperament. There are ZERO behavioral issues with him, no aggression no nipping nothing. In fact I could stand for a bit more aggression towards people who come to our house. Most useless guard dog ever...Tongue

I've also heard that there are health problems associated with neutering long term. I know it decreases the risk of some things but it does increase others. Perhaps the health thing is a wash, but I'm not sure.

The only thing that I would want this to change is his desire to get off his run and seek females. So I'm wondering if it's worth it.

Neutering is an excellent decision. You sure don't want your dog getting hurt running after the scent of a female in heat. All my critters are fixed. If you aren't going to breed you certainly don't want to be responsible for any miscellaneous neighbor puppies that may or may not be healthy and cared for. There are too many puppies now that need homes.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
26-12-2013, 02:32 PM
(26-12-2013 02:05 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(26-12-2013 12:56 PM)Dom Wrote:  Get a Kong and smear a tad of peanut butter in it. Let him have it a couple times. (the Kong will last a life time. [yours] )
Put him on a loooong leash (tracking leash or just a rope) and throw it close by. When he picks it up, praise, tell him "come", reel him in , take it and give it back so he can lick the peanut butter.

After a few sessions, throwing just a LITTLE further each time, you got a retrieving dog.

Always end a session on a positive note. Even if he fails, have him do something you KNOW he can do and end on praise.

Training a dog is ALL about repetitiveness, consistency and reward.

Yep, and praise, praise, praise, enthusiastic praise.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
26-12-2013, 07:27 PM (This post was last modified: 26-12-2013 07:37 PM by Cathym112.)
(26-12-2013 11:43 AM)natachan Wrote:  So my dog ran off the other day after some female. We're working to get him back but this brings up an issue. Should I get him neutered?

He's a German Shepherd and although I don't want to breed him I don't want to have any changes in his temperament. There are ZERO behavioral issues with him, no aggression no nipping nothing. In fact I could stand for a bit more aggression towards people who come to our house. Most useless guard dog ever...Tongue

I've also heard that there are health problems associated with neutering long term. I know it decreases the risk of some things but it does increase others. Perhaps the health thing is a wash, but I'm not sure.

The only thing that I would want this to change is his desire to get off his run and seek females. So I'm wondering if it's worth it.

I have two male working dogs for search and rescue. Both are in tact. I have no intention of breeding.

As long as there is no aggression, then no need to neuter. You trade one problem (testicular cancer, for another problem. Thyroid and hormonal issues) You need to teach him the parameter of the property. You can PM me if you need help on this. I have no fence, invisible or otherwise and my dogs stay in the yard. I can leave them outside for hours and they won't leave the property. Other than that, it's exercise exercise exercise. I run 6 miles a day, 5 days a week, with one long 10 mile run once a week. I also do SAR training every weekend and that's lots of exercise.

They say neutered dogs live longer than other dogs, but I distrust those stats. Causation vs correlation.

Ive trained dogs for service and search as rescue for 10 years. It just takes patience and consistency.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
26-12-2013, 10:07 PM
(26-12-2013 11:43 AM)natachan Wrote:  So my dog ran off the other day ".......

Should I get him neutered?

Yes!

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
26-12-2013, 11:53 PM
(26-12-2013 07:27 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  

I have two male working dogs for search and rescue. Both are in tact. I have no intention of breeding.

As long as there is no aggression, then no need to neuter. You trade one problem (testicular cancer, for another problem. Thyroid and hormonal issues) You need to teach him the parameter of the property. You can PM me if you need help on this. I have no fence, invisible or otherwise and my dogs stay in the yard. I can leave them outside for hours and they won't leave the property. Other than that, it's exercise exercise exercise. I run 6 miles a day, 5 days a week, with one long 10 mile run once a week. I also do SAR training every weekend and that's lots of exercise.

They say neutered dogs live longer than other dogs, but I distrust those stats. Causation vs correlation.

Ive trained dogs for service and search as rescue for 10 years. It just takes patience and consistency.

i thank you for the good work you do :thumpsup: Heart Hug But a question ,don't you have like totaly bussy i the winter season?

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
27-12-2013, 07:23 AM
(26-12-2013 11:53 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  
(26-12-2013 07:27 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I have two male working dogs for search and rescue. Both are in tact. I have no intention of breeding.

i thank you for the good work you do :thumpsup: Heart Hug But a question ,don't you have like totaly bussy i the winter season?

Thanks for thanking me! I'm not too sure what you are asking me, LV. But if you are asking me if I'm totally busy in the winter season, the answer is yes. A lot of hunters have heart attacks in deer blinds believe it or not. We need the K9s nose because you can't see the hunter.

Get a lot of calls for body recoveries, that's for sure. Some idiot gets a new pair of snow shoes and thinks he can go trudging through the parks without adequate survival skills and gets lost.

Other than that, a lot of Alzheimer's patients wander off. Those are the hardest to find because their behavior is unpredictable.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
27-12-2013, 11:02 AM
(26-12-2013 07:27 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  You need to teach him the parameter of the property. You can PM me if you need help on this. I have no fence, invisible or otherwise and my dogs stay in the yard. I can leave them outside for hours and they won't leave the property.

This works for you because you have quality dogs who are tuned into and used to training. The average Joe with an exuberant dog and neither dog nor person having any training experience is going to fail here. Without a background in training and tons of interaction with their human, dogs will act on impulse, and even if the average dog stays within the parameter, that changes in an instant when they smell a female in heat or a rabbit.

My current Shepherd isn't neutered either, my other dogs are. Drago isn't neutered because I do intend to breed him, if and when I find a suitable female. He has an ass kicking pedigree of working dogs. He is also constantly with me and very tuned into training.

I would not recommend perimeter training to just anyone - it takes a lot of devotion and commitment by both owner and dog.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
27-12-2013, 11:29 AM
(27-12-2013 11:02 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(26-12-2013 07:27 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  You need to teach him the parameter of the property. You can PM me if you need help on this. I have no fence, invisible or otherwise and my dogs stay in the yard. I can leave them outside for hours and they won't leave the property.

This works for you because you have quality dogs who are tuned into and used to training. The average Joe with an exuberant dog and neither dog nor person having any training experience is going to fail here. Without a background in training and tons of interaction with their human, dogs will act on impulse, and even if the average dog stays within the parameter, that changes in an instant when they smell a female in heat or a rabbit.

My current Shepherd isn't neutered either, my other dogs are. Drago isn't neutered because I do intend to breed him, if and when I find a suitable female. He has an ass kicking pedigree of working dogs. He is also constantly with me and very tuned into training.

I would not recommend perimeter training to just anyone - it takes a lot of devotion and commitment by both owner and dog.

I disagree in part, Dom.

I've helped average joes with perimeter training. Without adequate exercise, and constant reinforcement in the beginning, I agree it's worthless.

I don't think I implied that showing them the perimeter once would be all it took. Or that regular and vigorous exercise wasn't required as part of this. Nor did I imply that it wouldn't take the help of others to test/reinforce the perimeter boundaries. He can't get an opportunity for correction unless he actually runs out of the perimeter. Also, the training needs to be tailored to his dog's personality. If his GS is a scouter, he needs to find ways to satisfy this hunting/tracking instinct/desire in his dog. Direction commands and "find the toy" games can quench the desire to roam.

But I'm sure his GS isn't just a knucklehead. The majority of them, if given tasks, respond very well.