Neutrinos traveling faster than light maybe be wrong

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Neutrinos traveling faster than light maybe be wrong
According to this article, it may have just bee a loose cable...

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2012...-cable.ars

It would have been neat to find out that some things CAN travel faster than light.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2012, 05:27 PM
RE: Neutrinos traveling faster than light maybe be wrong
I'm actually glad they found a mistake now than for us to spend years searching for an answer that isn't there. It's a good thing that science can prove itself false. It keeps us accurate in our findings.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 4 users Like germanyt's post
22-02-2012, 05:30 PM
(22-02-2012 05:27 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I'm actually glad they found a mistake now than for us to spend years searching for an answer that isn't there. It's a good thing that science can prove itself false. It keeps us accurate in our findings.

No doubt, it's a good thing that the mistake was made.. but my sci-fi self still holds this tiny hope that some day we'll come up with a way to travel the universe faster than light. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
22-02-2012, 05:35 PM
I have to admit, I'm a little disappointed.

It would have had some really cool implications if faster than light travel was possible!
[+] 1 user Likes Ben's post
22-02-2012, 11:18 PM
Yeah, I was quite sad when I read this one... But then again, it is possible that this too is a mistake. The only problem now is that BOTH results have to be tested again - the first one, with the speed and all, and the second one, with the cables. There is still hope! Big Grin

[Image: s1hlsk.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-02-2012, 12:37 AM
(22-02-2012 05:35 PM)Ben Wrote:  I have to admit, I'm a little disappointed.

It would have had some really cool implications if faster than light travel was possible!
Noway, if they confirmed this it would scare me....it would be like pie stopping.
23-02-2012, 01:00 AM
(22-02-2012 05:21 PM)kineo Wrote:  According to this article, it may have just bee a loose cable...

Typical IT department!

When I have problems with loose cables, data transfer is slower not faster so maybe I should recruit their cable guys.
[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
23-02-2012, 08:18 AM
Not gonna lie...

I am disappoint Sad

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
23-02-2012, 11:09 AM
(23-02-2012 12:37 AM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  
(22-02-2012 05:35 PM)Ben Wrote:  I have to admit, I'm a little disappointed.

Noway, if they confirmed this it would scare me....it would be like pie stopping.

But if... if pie stopped, then how would we consume pumpkins with our Thanksgiving meals in America?! We're doomed! Sad
[+] 3 users Like kineo's post
24-02-2012, 06:09 AM
Faster than light particles (or tachyons) are not the death knell to relativity that many people think it is. The current (albeit hotly debated) theory doesn't rule out particles that can move faster than light, but particles that can accelerate faster than light. Tachyons are theoretical particles that move faster than light, but they always move faster than light, and in fact can not slow down to subluminal speeds, much like how sublimuninal particles can not accerate to superluminal speeds.