Neutrinos traveling faster than light maybe be wrong

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2012, 06:21 AM
RE: Neutrinos traveling faster than light maybe be wrong
(24-02-2012 06:09 AM)Formaldehyde Wrote:  Faster than light particles (or tachyons) are not the death knell to relativity that many people think it is. The current (albeit hotly debated) theory doesn't rule out particles that can move faster than light, but particles that can accelerate faster than light. Tachyons are theoretical particles that move faster than light, but they always move faster than light, and in fact can not slow down to subluminal speeds, much like how sublimuninal particles can not accerate to superluminal speeds.

Particles moving faster than light from a stationary frame of reference would have purely imaginary components to their Lorenz contraction and time dilation under special relativity. So WTF would THAT mean?

-EDIT-

I see this is your first post. Even though I'm new here myself, allow me to welcome you. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-02-2012, 10:42 AM
(24-02-2012 06:21 AM)rook2004 Wrote:  I see this is your first post. Even though I'm new here myself, allow me to welcome you. Smile

Indeed, welcome! Big Grin

Also, I'm a bit out of my league when it comes to discussing these things- but I'm fascinated. Please, keep up the discussion!
25-02-2012, 03:25 PM
I'm anything but a science nerd, though it interests and fascinates me....I have a hard time wrapping my head around things....having said that, take what I say with a pound of salt, buuuut....

I just finished reading Carl Sagan's 'Cosmos' (written what? late 70's, early 80's?) in which he describes neutrinos as traveling faster than light.... so in light of that, I can't see why the head-scratching today? --->
Quote:Since September, scientists have been scratching their head over results that appear to show neutrinos traveling between Switzerland and Italy faster than light would.

EnLIGHTen me? Undecided

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-02-2012, 12:50 AM
(25-02-2012 03:25 PM)ValerieAnn1975 Wrote:  I just finished reading Carl Sagan's 'Cosmos' (written what? late 70's, early 80's?) in which he describes neutrinos as traveling faster than light....

You sure you're not thinking of tachyons? Hypothetical particles that travel faster than light? Also, electrically charged particles can move faster than light in certain mediums, though not in vacuum. When that happens, you get the light equivalent of a sonic boom--Cherenkov radiation.
26-02-2012, 10:07 AM
(26-02-2012 12:50 AM)rook2004 Wrote:  
(25-02-2012 03:25 PM)ValerieAnn1975 Wrote:  I just finished reading Carl Sagan's 'Cosmos' (written what? late 70's, early 80's?) in which he describes neutrinos as traveling faster than light....

You sure you're not thinking of tachyons? Hypothetical particles that travel faster than light? Also, electrically charged particles can move faster than light in certain mediums, though not in vacuum. When that happens, you get the light equivalent of a sonic boom--Cherenkov radiation.

Mea Culpa

Really glad that book has an index! Sagan actually wrote that neutrinos travel at the speed of light. (page 186)

Forgive me for the intrusion and confusion. Oy. A pound of salt is right!

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
[+] 1 user Likes Percepticon's post
26-02-2012, 10:15 AM
I'm not shocked by this. The media plays everything up (remember cold fusion occuing with Pons/Fleischman). I was looking forward to the follow up though. We go where the evidence leads unlike those locked into a preset game plan.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
26-02-2012, 10:56 AM
Quote: Since September, scientists have been scratching their head over results that appear to show neutrinos traveling between Switzerland and Italy faster than light would.

No offence to the Swiss but I had a relative who went there for an assignment. He hated it and said he much preferred Italy. I think his exact words were "I couldn't get outa there fast enough".

So I think the precedent has already been set.

26-02-2012, 11:02 AM
(26-02-2012 10:56 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Quote: Since September, scientists have been scratching their head over results that appear to show neutrinos traveling between Switzerland and Italy faster than light would.

No offence to the Swiss but I had a relative who went there for an assignment. He hated it and said he much preferred Italy. I think his exact words were "I couldn't get outa there fast enough".

So do you know how fast Uranus is traveling?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
26-02-2012, 11:21 AM
(26-02-2012 11:02 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(26-02-2012 10:56 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Quote: Since September, scientists have been scratching their head over results that appear to show neutrinos traveling between Switzerland and Italy faster than light would.

*groan* Really, Erx? Dodgy

26-02-2012, 11:23 AM
(26-02-2012 11:21 AM)ValerieAnn1975 Wrote:  
(26-02-2012 11:02 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  

*groan* Really, Erx? Dodgy

Don't worry, Val. You'll see it gets worse as we go along.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel