Never be satisfied?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2013, 09:37 PM
Never be satisfied?
So I started school again recently, and It's been going pretty good. I enjoy being there more than being at home. I value learning much more than the first time I was in high school.

This semester I'm taking Pre-Calculus 30 and Physics 30. I've done one test in each class so far, with another test in PC30 tomorrow. I got 99% on the PC30 test (1 mistake), and 97.5% on the Physics test (2 mistakes).

I was pretty glad for a moment when I first got the test back, I never got grades like this before. But after a few moments all I could think about were the mistakes I made. They were really stupid mistakes. I forgot to put a direction on one question in the physics test (the answer was a vector). In the PC30 I added 7 (instead of subtracting) from both sides to remove a +7 (wtf was I thinking?). This probably sounds retarded, who can complain about 90+, but I was really aiming for 100%, and I feel bummed out about the mistakes. Especially since they were so trivial. I even skimmed over my answers before handing them in and missed them a second time.

It's only high school level classes, and math/physics is what I'm most interested in. If I was taking English Language Arts or Social Studies I'd be struggling to get a 60-70. If I can't get everything right in these classes, how am I going to do when I hit university?

Why must there always be a mistake!?

I'm quite over-focused on this stuff, but if something else pops into my head I can sometimes get lost in it and lose my 'roll' I may have been on. I haven't been practicing mindfulness lately, I'm going to start again. Does anyone have anything to suggest to help me with my focus? Besides drugs (prescription or otherwise), I'm off everything now and I don't plan on changing that.

Also, any suggestions on how I can change to make myself more satisfied with a mark other than 100%? Weird question I know, but I'm really concerned about it, I doubt I'll be getting 100%'s in university so I'll have to get use to it. My problem is that I have way too much negative self-talk.

Well I'll end the rant now. Kudos if you read it all.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2013, 10:06 PM
RE: Never be satisfied?
Don't dwell on what you missed, look at what you learned!

I missed one question on a science test recently and was pretty grumpy when I saw it was a question that I had changed the answer on. I know better than to second guess myself. Had to get over it and be happy with the grade I got. Some classes I do better in than others and sometimes it's because the topic doesn't hold my attention as well as other do and sometimes it's the teacher or the way the class is set up that makes it hard for me to ace things.

Take it in stride, you sure made a good start and over a period of time you are looking at the averages over all your classes.

Good luck! And congrats on the great grades.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
05-12-2013, 10:13 AM
Who, in your life growing up, was never satisfied with anything you did?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes QueenTit's post
05-12-2013, 04:34 PM
(04-12-2013 10:06 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Don't dwell on what you missed, look at what you learned!

Yeah. Well now I've learned to make a special point of fixing any proceeding questions answer when it depends on the answer of the last question, which I went back and fixed. I did this again for the test today, fixed on question without changing that value for the next, I didn't even think of it until much after I handed in the test.

Specifically what I did was forget about a point that would be on the graph, which then screwed up my answer for domain and range. I went back and added in the point but forgot to alter the domain and range.

(05-12-2013 10:13 AM)QueenTit Wrote:  Who, in your life growing up, was never satisfied with anything you did?

I can't think of anyone. My parents would tell me I did a good job if I got a good mark. Not that it happened often before.

06-12-2013, 04:02 PM
GAH I got a 87% the precalc test today. I feel totally justified in being disappointed by that mark.

06-12-2013, 04:08 PM
If one of my daughters called me from college describing the same issue I'd tell them to take a night off, drink beer with friends, and get laid...........soften a few of those sharp edges. Why? Cause life is too short to ONLY spend your time worrying about a 100 on your next test.

There's a Whole Wide World out there for the seeing, tasting, touching, hearing and even smelling.
Go smell a rose. 5 mins of down time or one night off won't hurt you.

No - no drugs (other than maybe some good beer) and NO therapy......you just need to dial back on perfection a tad. Cause honey if you Only set yourself up for perfection you'll suffer way too many disappointments in life.

Heart

(forgive me.......I'm sure you are a more-than-capable adult. It's the mom in me that makes me speak this way to you. )

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 2 users Like WitchSabrina's post
06-12-2013, 05:10 PM
(06-12-2013 04:08 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  If one of my daughters called me from college describing the same issue I'd tell them to take a night off, drink beer with friends, and get laid...........soften a few of those sharp edges. Why? Cause life is too short to ONLY spend your time worrying about a 100 on your next test.

There's a Whole Wide World out there for the seeing, tasting, touching, hearing and even smelling.

Yeah, but I don't really go out and do much. I don't know many people, and I don't really know how to meet/get to know people.

I can understand taking some breaks, I think I take too many right now to be honest (scanning facebook home page or this forum for interesting articles/debates). But most of the time I just want to progress. I only have a limited time here, and I feel bad when I spend a lot of time doing something other than studies. Which I actually enjoy most of the time. I just think with something I spend such a large portion of my time on I should be getting better grades (especially on yesterdays test).

(06-12-2013 04:08 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  No - no drugs (other than maybe some good beer) and NO therapy......you just need to dial back on perfection a tad. Cause honey if you Only set yourself up for perfection you'll suffer way too many disappointments in life.

Yeah, no drugs or alcohol. I doubt I'll ever drink again, and certainly never doing drugs again. I'm a bit of a sober maniac now. I do definitely have to learn to be satisfied with not getting the perfect grade, no ones perfect.

06-12-2013, 06:23 PM
(06-12-2013 05:10 PM)Adenosis Wrote:  
(06-12-2013 04:08 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  If one of my daughters called me from college describing the same issue I'd tell them to take a night off, drink beer with friends, and get laid...........soften a few of those sharp edges. Why? Cause life is too short to ONLY spend your time worrying about a 100 on your next test.

Yeah, but I don't really go out and do much. I don't know many people, and I don't really know how to meet/get to know people.

I can understand taking some breaks, I think I take too many right now to be honest (scanning facebook home page or this forum for interesting articles/debates). But most of the time I just want to progress. I only have a limited time here, and I feel bad when I spend a lot of time doing something other than studies. Which I actually enjoy most of the time. I just think with something I spend such a large portion of my time on I should be getting better grades (especially on yesterdays test).

(06-12-2013 04:08 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  No - no drugs (other than maybe some good beer) and NO therapy......you just need to dial back on perfection a tad. Cause honey if you Only set yourself up for perfection you'll suffer way too many disappointments in life.

Yeah, no drugs or alcohol. I doubt I'll ever drink again, and certainly never doing drugs again. I'm a bit of a sober maniac now. I do definitely have to learn to be satisfied with not getting the perfect grade, no ones perfect.

We never had to discipline our youngest daughter because she was a Super Achiever and put her own self through hell for the slightest mistake - especially school work. We were always a slightly competitive household with kudos for job-well-done sort of thing. Looking back I feel as a parent I should have downplayed the competitiveness a bit more. Because the youngest got a double dose - her own drive plus the household *feel*. She's better about beating herself up now that she's a little older - but being Super competitive is a hard way to go through life. Some drive is good - helps you reach your goals. So whatever works for you - find a way to keep in the more-normal range. I don't mean deny your nature just work on it a little so you won't stress yourself out.
I was an uber achiever all those years (still am to a great extent) and I can tell you the ulcers and migraines are not worth the straight A's. I graduated college early because I wanted to get on with the rest of my life.........far too many years working at things and missing much. Take it from a super over achiever --- there's life out there for the having and smiles waiting behind your eyes wishing to be seen.
Please take at least a little time off....and heed the words of an old lady who's spent a life with migraines. I do not wish pain for you.
You're great! And you don't have to work so hard to be Great! Thumbsup

take care of yourself --- & thanks for listening and letting me ramble. I only wish to help - truly.

oxox

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
06-12-2013, 08:41 PM
"Also, any suggestions on how I can change to make myself more satisfied with a mark other than 100%? Weird question I know, but I'm really concerned about it, I doubt I'll be getting 100%'s in university so I'll have to get use to it. My problem is that I have way too much negative self-talk."

Well don't dwell on a "mark other less than 100%." Life will have many "marks less then 100%". Been my business and self employment experience that I tend to learn much more from my resounding failures then the resounding success.
06-12-2013, 08:57 PM
Just keep in mind what matters. If it doesn't effect your GPA, then why does it really matter? All you need is a working understanding of what was learned in the class, you don't need to be perfect in that subject. If you are proficient, move on to the next thing. When you get to university it's what you learned that matters (and you'll find out just how little you actually learned), not how many 100%s you got. And when you get to university you'll quickly realize that you can't master every little thing and that an understanding of it is much more useful than a knowledge of every aspect of it (I literally make up my own equations for chemistry if I can't figure something out based off a pretty good understanding of how things work rather than the math behind it).

It's not worth stressing over, this is the only point in your young life where you'll be able to have the lowest amount of stress, take advantage of it. I was far too involved with building my future that I didn't really live at your age, and it sucks, don't do that. DO NOT DO THAT. Enjoy the present AND work towards your future, but don't become so obsessed with your future that you sacrifice your present. If you do you'll finally get there and be disappointed because you made it out in your mind to be so much more.

Just to make sure you get the point: Live in the present AND work towards your future. Don't sacrifice one for the other.
[+] 1 user Likes TheKetola's post