Never compromise! / Christian persecution!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-05-2014, 11:47 AM
RE: Never compromise! / Christian persecution!
(21-05-2014 11:37 AM)Impulse Wrote:  I also like Russel Crowe and was honestly disappointed that he starred in Noah. Even if the story doesn't resemble the bible, I would find it difficult to sit through. It's too implausible and my knowing it's basis would just kill it for me. I'm glad to hear God went AWOL though. The dumbass can't show up for his own movie. Thumbsup
Fiction is fiction. Russel Crowe was Jor-El and Robin Hood, so he's no stranger to fiction. As far as I'm concerned, Noah was just more fiction, despite the original source material.

In that light, the movie was decent enough, even got a 77% on RottenTomatoes despite atheists and christians both vilifying it (for different reasons).

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-05-2014, 11:49 AM
Ok, well now back to your regularly scheduled Robby thread...
(Sorry Robby)

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
21-05-2014, 11:52 AM
(21-05-2014 11:46 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  [Image: hqdefault.jpg]

Huh. I didn't know evolution was the cause of all those bad things.

Also, I can't help but notice the irony that the guy swinging the axe labeled "creation science message" is dressed like a guy from two thousand fucking years ago.

I agree: their scientific message is literally antiquated.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
21-05-2014, 12:24 PM
(21-05-2014 11:24 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(21-05-2014 11:22 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Everyone has convictions and areas in which they will not compromise. This is not unique to Christianity.
Not everyone has convictions about fiction. Drinking Beverage

True.
21-05-2014, 12:50 PM
(21-05-2014 11:22 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Everyone has convictions and areas in which they will not compromise. This is not unique to Christianity.

No, this is not true. This is mainly a faith based path of thought that comes from the same lines of thought that only religion has.

Ask any scientist and they will tell you that if there is enough evidence to support an idea, no matter the idea. They can and will change their minds.

I have nothing that I would look someone in the eye and say I would still believe in it after all the evidence in the world proves me wrong. None of my friends think that way. Only the religious thinks this way.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
21-05-2014, 12:51 PM
(21-05-2014 12:24 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(21-05-2014 11:24 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Not everyone has convictions about fiction. Drinking Beverage

True.

Wait a minute? TRUE?

I thought you were a Christian...and...YOU JUST ADMITTED GOD IS FICTION!?!

He said not everyone has a conviction about fiction and you said true which means you beleive GOD IS FAKE?!!

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
21-05-2014, 01:01 PM
Jeremy, the problem a lot of people have with Christianity is that if God is a "reasonable" entity and the way we should live according to Christian dictates is a good life which we can see as good because it is based on the golden rule, which is a reasonable moral position, then it doesn't really matter that Jesus or God tells us to behave that way.

The other thing is, we know a lot about how the world works from just studying it. Judaism and Christianity suggest that God made the world, but don't say how. So, it really isn't very helpful as an idea. He just made it! Snapped his fingers or something? Even if we could figure out how he did this, it doesn't have any bearing on how we should behave towards each other. I don't refrain from killing people because I think God made the world.

Also, even if he made the world, I don't see how that means that when I die, I am going to go on living outside my body as some sort of "mist" in some other place.

You see, it doesn't make any sense. I have to believe in god making the world, but no one can tell me how he did this. Then, I have to behave in a way which is reasonable and good which I can understand as reasonable and good without god telling me in order to go some place I don t know and which no one has been to or can describe.

It all seems a bit cockeyed if you ask me.

Have you heard of Immanual Kant, by the way. He says that Christian morality is based on reason and the rest of it is just superstition. So, we should follow the Christian teaching whether or not we can say Jesus was divine. Are you saying that if someone doesn't believe in Jesus as being divine, then they cannot follow a moral philosophy which is based on reason, in other words, behave in a way which you would want all other people to act?
[+] 1 user Likes Deltabravo's post
21-05-2014, 01:02 PM
(21-05-2014 12:51 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  
(21-05-2014 12:24 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  True.

Wait a minute? TRUE?

I thought you were a Christian...and...YOU JUST ADMITTED GOD IS FICTION!?!

He said not everyone has a conviction about fiction and you said true which means you beleive GOD IS FAKE?!!

No ShadowFox - you read that wrong. He answered two separate posts. Only one said not everyone has conviction regarding fiction. He agreed with that - NOT - the same thing as him calling the Bible fiction.

I mean - I do. I consider the Bible man-made fiction compiled to control the masses using religion to do the controlling.
But
I'm fairly certain he doesn't think as I do.

cheers

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 2 users Like WitchSabrina's post
21-05-2014, 01:04 PM
(21-05-2014 09:32 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Basically, it all comes down to a refusal to compromise because they believe they're really right and that's all there is to it. I imagine this type of mentality will cause them to continue hemorrhaging followers.

What compromises are atheists offering - there might be a god and your morality is somewhat acceptable???

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
21-05-2014, 01:07 PM
(21-05-2014 01:01 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  The other thing is, we know a lot about how the world works from just studying it

Does that include how to run a government, or are we still dependent on the traditional election system?

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool