Never compromise! / Christian persecution!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-05-2014, 01:07 PM
RE: Never compromise! / Christian persecution!
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSaOe8XhlttMWOKOyeXa2n...7fBLW4TExf]

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like WitchSabrina's post
21-05-2014, 01:17 PM
(21-05-2014 01:02 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(21-05-2014 12:51 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Wait a minute? TRUE?

I thought you were a Christian...and...YOU JUST ADMITTED GOD IS FICTION!?!

He said not everyone has a conviction about fiction and you said true which means you beleive GOD IS FAKE?!!

No ShadowFox - you read that wrong. He answered two separate posts. Only one said not everyone has conviction regarding fiction. He agreed with that - NOT - the same thing as him calling the Bible fiction.

I mean - I do. I consider the Bible man-made fiction compiled to control the masses using religion to do the controlling.
But
I'm fairly certain he doesn't think as I do.

cheers

oh, lol. OK

That is what it looked like to me.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
21-05-2014, 01:24 PM
(21-05-2014 01:07 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(21-05-2014 01:01 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  The other thing is, we know a lot about how the world works from just studying it

Does that include how to run a government, or are we still dependent on the traditional election system?

We, or some of us, study things like government. Some forms of government work better than others at delivering services and making life under them pleasant. The US federal system with its checks and balances and division of powers is based in Greek and Roman ideas which were studied by people like John Adams.

I was actually talking about studying science and that we know a lot about the physical world. It is much more difficult to study human phenomena or do anything about it as it involves the interactions of millions of people who have an almost infinite variety of ideas and beliefs and billions of bits of information buzzing around in their heads. It's actually remarkable that we, as a species, aren't still worshipping wooden poles and dancing naked around bonfires in the hope we will have a good meal the next day.
21-05-2014, 01:27 PM
(21-05-2014 11:52 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  ... their scientific message is literally antiquated.

The two methaphors, "wedge" and the axe felling the tree of science perfectly depict the religious thrust: divergence and destruction, the exact opposite of the thrust of science: convergence and construction. Theirs is a losing strategy, in spades.
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
21-05-2014, 01:46 PM
I think we are in for a really big shock over the next 10 years. It's starting already.

Back in the 80's I saw a PBS program about William Shakespeare and theories about who wrote his plays. I was shocked. It took until 2011 for Roland Emmerich to translate that into the film Anonymous and now every university professor teaching Shakespeare has to deal with this issue, whether they like it or not. It has gone from a few cranks to millions of people knowing about the problem

Similarly, over the last 20 or so years, with the advent of thermal imaging, the ideas which underlie our understanding of psychology, mental illness and addiction have started to change because we can actually see what is going on inside people's heads and treat them. As a result, the US has now appointed a new head of the NIH who supports medical treatment of alcoholism and addiction because there are drugs out there which actually do "cure" alcoholism but only a handful of people are now using them.

Now, we can see using thermal imaging of the planet surface via NASA photographs that the Near East, places like Syria were not at all like they are now. We can see traces of our ancestors "anthroposoil" and track out their movements and it discloses huge and complex civilizations where now there were only deserts. We have found sites like Gobelki Tepi which is a huge buried temple older than Stone Henge. The collapse of empires like the Ottoman empire and the opening up of sites in the Middle East are now allowing us to put together a picture of what actually happened at the time of Jesus and who the people were who lived in the Near East at the time and it is becoming more apparent that it was inhabited by ancestors of modern Europeans and that King Tut, for instance, was genetically European.

A number of writers are now publishing works, particularly David Donnini, stating that Jesus was a real life person who lived in Gamala which is in Galillee. It is a prediction that Christianity is set for a very interesting time over the next 10 years or so when it emerges that this was a real person, that he was a rabbinical leader in Jerusalem and that he was defeated by the Romans but that certain Romans, ie., the Flavians, were or became followers of his and embedded his moral teachings, those of the Nazarite sect of Judaism in a tall tale and propelled it forward as an Imperial cult. I think it will also become more and more apparent that they knew the whole story was a lot of nonsense aimed at the gullible and that their intention was to supplant Roman pagan worship with a reason based religion and the only way they though they could do so was by using this Jesus figure and making him out to be divine, so as to win over people who just don't have the intelligence to drop their pagan rituals and can't live a moral life based on reason, but need to be told/force to behave through fear of eternal damnation and reward of life hereafter.

Just a hunch.Drinking Beverage
21-05-2014, 03:13 PM
(21-05-2014 01:46 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  Now, we can see using thermal imaging of the planet surface via NASA photographs that the Near East, places like Syria were not at all like they are now. We can see traces of our ancestors "anthroposoil" and track out their movements and it discloses huge and complex civilizations where now there were only deserts. We have found sites like Gobelki Tepi which is a huge buried temple older than Stone Henge. The collapse of empires like the Ottoman empire and the opening up of sites in the Middle East are now allowing us to put together a picture of what actually happened at the time of Jesus and who the people were who lived in the Near East at the time and it is becoming more apparent that it was inhabited by ancestors of modern Europeans and that King Tut, for instance, was genetically European.

Well, archeology and genetics actually disprove that. Europe was already populated when King Tut existed, and there is no evidence that European populations migrated back to Egypt.

At the time of Jesus, the Roman Empire existed - or had you forgotten that? Modern Europeans are descended from those Europeans.

Your ideas are crackpot. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 800px-Map-of-human-migrations.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
21-05-2014, 03:33 PM
(21-05-2014 01:46 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  I think we are in for a really big shock over the next 10 years. It's starting already.

Back in the 80's I saw a PBS program about William Shakespeare and theories about who wrote his plays. I was shocked. It took until 2011 for Roland Emmerich to translate that into the film Anonymous and now every university professor teaching Shakespeare has to deal with this issue, whether they like it or not. It has gone from a few cranks to millions of people knowing about the problem.

Whoah, whoah, whoah.

I'm'a have to stop you right there. A ridiculously brief review of the topic reveals that such "problems" have been openly discussed for over 150 years.

Notwithstanding the far greater attestation for the life and works of Shakespeare than for any of his contemporaries, and the gaping flaws in any alternative "theories" as to the origin of the works attributed to him.

Although it is an illustrative history of self-professed "independent experts" railing against vast and shadowy academic "conspiracies" against their brilliant, ahem, "study".

The PBS work you mention was the first of several of its era, broadcast in 1989; while brought so-called anti-Stratfordian crankery back into vogue for a while, genuine academic study affords it precisely the same consideration now it warranted 25 years ago: none.

But, uh, good luck with that.

Emmerich's film is of course a fictional drama, explicitly identified as such by the man himself.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
21-05-2014, 03:35 PM
(21-05-2014 03:33 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(21-05-2014 01:46 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  I think we are in for a really big shock over the next 10 years. It's starting already.

Back in the 80's I saw a PBS program about William Shakespeare and theories about who wrote his plays. I was shocked. It took until 2011 for Roland Emmerich to translate that into the film Anonymous and now every university professor teaching Shakespeare has to deal with this issue, whether they like it or not. It has gone from a few cranks to millions of people knowing about the problem.

Whoah, whoah, whoah.

I'm'a have to stop you right there. A ridiculously brief review of the topic reveals that such "problems" have been openly discussed for over 150 years.

Notwithstanding the far greater attestation for the life and works of Shakespeare than for any of his contemporaries, and the gaping flaws in any alternative "theories" as to the origin of the works attributed to him.

Although it is an illustrative history of self-professed "independent experts" railing against vast and shadowy academic "conspiracies" against their brilliant, ahem, "study".

The PBS work you mention was the first of several of its era, broadcast in 1989; while brought so-called anti-Stratfordian crankery back into vogue for a while, genuine academic study affords it precisely the same consideration now it warranted 25 years ago: none.

But, uh, good luck with that.

Emmerich's film is of course a fictional drama, explicitly identified as such by the man himself.

Damn reptiloid. We're on to you. Hobo

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
21-05-2014, 03:59 PM
Dangit!

I was all prepared to start Shakespeare-bashing, and now I can't. Thanks a lot, cjlr...

Well, I'm off to seek some other provocative forum post upon which I can alter my world-view and because of which I can blindly rail against the establishment and stick it to the man!

Yippie kai yay!

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 2 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
12-06-2014, 06:04 AM
So, last week, I was invited to a FaceBook group by a Baptist friend. It's for discussion Christianity.

One person made a post (copy-pasted from elsewhere, I think) about "Christiphobia". It's a TL;DR diatribe on how Christians are the ones who are really being persecuted in the states. Among other things, I said that over 75% of the US is Christian. He asked me twice if I really believed that (and offered to sell me waterfront property the second time, too!). Of course, I link to polls. He responds that only 10-20% of Americans are "true" Christians, and the rest don't count (I assume they're doing some of the persecuting).

I told him twice that every denomination believes they have if figured out, and no one has been able to definitively prove they're right. He pulled an agree-to-disagree and said I have rose colored glasses.

Take home message: How do you convince people you're being persecuted when you belong to a strong majority group? Distance yourself and make yourself a minority!
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post