Never really had a hankerin' to see Brokeback Mountain...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-07-2013, 06:01 PM
RE: Never really had a hankerin' to see Brokeback Mountain...
(12-12-2012 04:46 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Wouldn't honestly want to see either version, but if I was going to, it'd definitely be the pussy licking version, sorry to disappoint. I wouldn't consider myself homophobic or discriminatory (on this issue), but I'm also not going to lie to myself and others and say that gay sex is just love being made by two people who happen to be men. Come on dude, it was for shock value, you would have never even heard of the movie if it was done with a cowboy, and cowgirl (why do people of that profession never grow up and become cowmen/cowwomen?) The people who financed the film didn't just do that to do their part to open peoples eyes to the social inequalities that was occurring, they did it as an investment. They knew that it would create the media attention needed to generate a profit...

I'm kind of surprised to find this on a free thinker's forum. I find it, no offense, pretty homophobic. If you don't think gay sex is just love being made by 2 people who happen to be men, then what do you think it is? Are you saying that gay men (and I suppose, by extension, women), can't have a love for each other similar to the love that a man and woman have for each other?

I have been going to movies that depict heterosexual love all my life. Just because I am gay does not mean that I don't get lost in the stories of these movies, feel for the characters, understand their situation, their loves and losses, their longing.

The "sex" scene in Brokeback Mountain lasted all of 90 seconds, if that, and showed no flesh at all. Pretty chaste for a scene that was included for "shock value." I'll contrast this with the sex scenes depicted in another favorite movie of mine, The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and her Lover. Amazing film, if hard to watch at times because of the graphic violence. It contains some pretty explicit sex scenes. I don't think they were included for "shock value."

Gay people have been perfectly able to understand and relate to heterosexual love stories all their lives. I don't know why the reverse can't be equally true. Why can't a heterosexual male watch this film and relate to the story of these two tragic lovers (depicted by 2 amazing actors) with empathy and understanding? Just asking.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like morrynyc's post
14-08-2013, 12:16 PM
Oh geez. A homophobe making a joke about how he doesn't want to see Brokeback Mountain. That's original.
15-08-2013, 09:10 PM
As a lesbian, I would just like to say...

I laughed. >_>

(Is that bad?)
[+] 1 user Likes Kari93's post
15-08-2013, 11:33 PM
(14-08-2013 12:16 PM)mylittlepretender Wrote:  Oh geez. A homophobe making a joke about how he doesn't want to see Brokeback Mountain. That's original.

'Cause you're a newbie, we can let you off that one.
The OP, a prolific poster at the time when this was posted, is actually a big gay ex-pope and surprisingly good at irony for a Murikan.
Yes

16-08-2013, 07:15 AM
(15-08-2013 11:33 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(14-08-2013 12:16 PM)mylittlepretender Wrote:  Oh geez. A homophobe making a joke about how he doesn't want to see Brokeback Mountain. That's original.

'Cause you're a newbie, we can let you off that one.
The OP, a prolific poster at the time when this was posted, is actually a big gay ex-pope and surprisingly good at irony for a Murikan.
Yes

Of for the love of fuck. Americans get irony. We were all educated by Alanis Morissette. Drinking Beverage

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
16-08-2013, 07:47 AM
(16-08-2013 07:15 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(15-08-2013 11:33 PM)DLJ Wrote:  'Cause you're a newbie, we can let you off that one.
Yes

Of for the love of fuck. Americans get irony. We were all educated by Alanis Morissette. Drinking Beverage

No
Nuff fuckin' said!

Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
16-08-2013, 08:57 AM
(16-08-2013 07:15 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(15-08-2013 11:33 PM)DLJ Wrote:  'Cause you're a newbie, we can let you off that one.
Yes

So, you still had to be educated by a foreigner...

... this is my signature!
16-08-2013, 09:02 AM
(16-08-2013 08:57 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(16-08-2013 07:15 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Of for the love of fuck. Americans get irony. We were all educated by Alanis Morissette. Drinking Beverage

So, you still had to be educated by a foreigner...

What, you don't get sarcasm? It's what 'mericans do best. Absolutely nothing in Morissette's song "ironic" was actually ironic. Just unfortunate. Surprised yer educated ass didn't know that. Tongue

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
16-08-2013, 09:06 AM
(16-08-2013 09:02 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(16-08-2013 08:57 AM)cjlr Wrote:  So, you still had to be educated by a foreigner...

What, you don't get sarcasm? It's what 'mericans do best. Absolutely nothing in Morissette's song "ironic" was actually ironic. Just unfortunate. Surprised yer educated ass didn't know that. Tongue

Nope. I never get sarcasm. Ever. Sleepy

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post