Never thought I'd be here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2014, 11:05 AM
Never thought I'd be here
Well here I am now and I never thought I'd call myself an atheist. I never really was that religious, I never felt like I "fit in" when I went to church. I've never been saved or baptised either. It wasn't until about a year ago when I began to question the existence of a God. So I'm here now as an atheist and I think it'll be great to be around like-minded people. I still have the "what if I'm wrong fear" but each day I live, the less fear I have.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like 89JeepYJ's post
28-03-2014, 11:58 AM
RE: Never thought I'd be here
Welcome to TTA.

don't be shy, jump right in.

many people have had that same fear, there are others here that do too.

ask questions, learn some stuff, and maybe that will help you to see things in a new light or consider something you hadn't before.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
28-03-2014, 06:51 PM
Your history sounds similar to mine. That "what if I'm wrong?" feeling will go away the more you learn and reason. You'll realize more and more all the little things that aren't conducive to a god existing.
You probably never questioned whether you were wrong about Buddhism, Hinduism, or Islam. Ask yourself why, and apply the answer universally.

Welcome to the forum...

...now with bacon!!
Drooling

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
28-03-2014, 06:54 PM
That fear definitely wears off after a while. I have been here...since October I think? My fear is all gone now Tongue
Welcome to TTA
Glad to meet you :*

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
28-03-2014, 06:59 PM
You're not wrong.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
28-03-2014, 07:18 PM
Welcome my brotha. My name is P/F, but I am not really that important. My friends and others of the community however are. You will have fun safe conversations here. There are many sections where you can talk about science, religion, food, sports, and even well you know the birds and the bees.Confused Hope you enjoy your stay my brotha.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] ♪僕は恐怖の一定した状態に住んで、不幸、逃すもう?僕は、それはもう痛いときも気づかないと
28-03-2014, 07:27 PM
(28-03-2014 07:18 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Welcome my brotha. My name is P/F, but I am not really that important. My friends and others of the community however are. You will have fun safe conversations here. There are many sections where you can talk about science, religion, food, sports, and even well you know the birds and the bees.Confused Hope you enjoy your stay my brotha.

Though rather than speaking on the latter, it would be more recommendable to instead peruse the pony thread. Drinking Beverage

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
28-03-2014, 07:29 PM
Welcome....

Ignore the ponies. Dodgy

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
28-03-2014, 07:30 PM
(28-03-2014 07:29 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Welcome....

Ignore the ponies. Dodgy

Ignore the ignorers of ponies. Dodgy

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
[+] 2 users Like TSG's post
28-03-2014, 07:38 PM
OK, suppose that your fear had come true. You were wrong. Judgement Day came and you were lucky enough to repent on the last minute, finally free from worries and pain, with a promised happy life for eternity.

Happy ending, wouldn't it have been ?

But...

...what if some of you happy ones had got a little too high and had made the invisible man in the sky mad again ?

The IMitS hasn't said anything about taking perfecting his flawed and fallible original intelligent design (has he ?), which then would not guarantee free will (wouldn't it ?).

Or what if he would perfect you guys in heaven, making you uncapable of making mistakes or doing anything he would dislike, would you then wonder that he had made fun of you when he had made you imperfect and watch you suffer ?

Or what if he hadn't made fun of you, that he had treated you like useful bacteria, which I used to grow and then used antibiotics to kill a lot and select a few, and all the talk of salvation, redemption, sacrifice and love had merely been your misunderstanding, 'cause that's the IMitS' mysterious ways of doing things ?

To wrap it up, I've got 3 what if, you only got 1.

3 > 1

I win ! Yeah ! [Image: em78.gif]

Want something? Then do something.
[+] 1 user Likes HU.Junyuan's post