Never thought I'd be here...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-07-2014, 02:06 PM
RE: Never thought I'd be here...
(27-07-2014 09:04 AM)CyberLN Wrote:  
(27-07-2014 08:34 AM)morondog Wrote:  Are you aware of the poster's life? Do you know what coming out could cost them? Shut the FUCK up then.

Wow. You're right. I consider myself smacked. I apologize for making assumptions about the poster's safety. That was wrong of me.

I do, however, stand by the comments about use of the word "we".

Even if it's safe... it's still every person's decision to make for themselves. IMO this stuff about how it's the same as propagating the beliefs, to stay silent about them... it's pure guilt tripping. It's *not* the same. People keep quiet for a variety of reasons not least of which is just keeping the peace. It's not wrong to want to live your own life and avoid conflict over something as stupid as what adherents to X religion believe happens when you die.

Kudos for keeping calm when I chirped you earlier Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-07-2014, 02:08 PM
'We' is often used as a way to include yourself in a group. Certainly not a hangin' offense.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
27-07-2014, 03:32 PM
(10-07-2014 12:25 PM)ShelbySeeker77 Wrote:  After a long, confusing journey...I have recently abandoned my faith.

That sounds like the easy part compared to what I am facing now.

My wife is a Christian. So are my kids. And my parents. And my wife's parents. And 99% of our friends. And my co-workers (I live in Birmingham, Alabama).

If I "come out" as a non-believer, I am worried that it will damage, or even destroy, all of those relationships. I have a wonderful marriage, but my wife's faith plays a major role in her life (her father is a pastor).

I could really use some advice about how to approach these people, especially from people who have been in a similar situation.

How did you break the news?
How did people react?
How did you deal with the hurt, or anger, that you faced?
Did those relationships ever get back to "normal"?

I appreciate any help or advice I can get from this community.

Sincerely,
JS

What you do is speak from your heart. Give them the honest truth with carefully chosen words as to why you just can't keep living a life of prayer and faith. Let them know where God has let you down. Let them know about your doubts.

Well, that's what I do. If you lose friends over that then they aren't your friends. Christianity is suppose to be a Religion of loving your enemies and having a special love for the sinners and unbelievers.

I wish you well! Let us know how it goes Thumbsup

If what you say is coming from the heart, that speaks more than your choice of words by the way. When someone is speaking passionately from their heart, I can feel it, regardless of whether they are using another language or speaking with third grader vocabulary.

A person can speak to me with great eloquence but if it doesn't come from the heart they might as well be reading me a drivers license manual or a phone book. Laugh out load