28-03-2014, 07:43 PM
RE: Never thought I'd be here
Guten Abend

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-03-2014, 01:26 PM
(28-03-2014 06:54 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  That fear definitely wears off after a while. I have been here...since October I think? My fear is all gone now Tongue
Welcome to TTA
Glad to meet you :*
Day by day it gets easier. Sometimes I have the "what if God smites me for not believing" fear, but I usually dismiss this thought, because the more I think about religion, the more ridiculous it sounds.
29-03-2014, 01:48 PM
Welcome, and I have a very similar story to yours, too. It gets easier, and much better. You'll be fine.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-03-2014, 01:52 PM
Welcome aboard ! Smile

Stay awhile and you'll soon lose all fear. Thumbsup

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
29-03-2014, 04:15 PM
Welcome to TTA.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-03-2014, 06:48 PM
(28-03-2014 11:05 AM)89JeepYJ Wrote:  Well here I am now and I never thought I'd call myself an atheist. I never really was that religious, I never felt like I "fit in" when I went to church. I've never been saved or baptised either. It wasn't until about a year ago when I began to question the existence of a God. So I'm here now as an atheist and I think it'll be great to be around like-minded people. I still have the "what if I'm wrong fear" but each day I live, the less fear I have.

Fear not the fabrication of superstitious uneducated goat herders. Embrace your new path of logic and reason. Welcome!

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
29-03-2014, 08:04 PM
Why would you worship a being that goes around smiting people?

Welcome to the real world.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
29-03-2014, 10:51 PM
Welcome. Relax. Breathe. Enjoy meeting some good and kind and genuine people.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
30-03-2014, 01:53 AM
I don't think any of us thought we'd be here some day. Now that you are, subsequently will come the joy of being able to really express your thoughts to like-minded people who are free to think in any way, regardless if it conflicts with somebodies religious views.

Your story is similar to mine. After many years of doubt and pondering, I finally admitted my atheism in March of 2013. So both of us are relatively new to atheism, it's a little past my 'year anniversary' so to speak ;d!

With that being said, I should also let you know if it isn't already apparent, but many, many people on the forums will relate to you in so many ways. I've found in the few months I've been here that there are many people that think the same way I do, and some can express it so much more eloquently.

The community here brings together all sorts of people that are together in their non-beliefs to create a warm environment that many, many atheists do not find in the predominately religious world. You will not anymore be frustrated with having to suppress your view because people are too bigoted to let you voice your opinion and be comfortable with your own thoughts if you have/had been in the past.

Welcome, and glad to have you here!

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.
[+] 1 user Likes Freethought's post
30-03-2014, 01:30 PM
(28-03-2014 06:51 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  Your history sounds similar to mine. That "what if I'm wrong?" feeling will go away the more you learn and reason. You'll realize more and more all the little things that aren't conducive to a god existing.
You probably never questioned whether you were wrong about Buddhism, Hinduism, or Islam. Ask yourself why, and apply the answer universally.

Welcome to the forum...

...now with bacon!!
Drooling

That is as good way to look at it. Why does Christianity have to be the only religion that is right? I'm just going to live there rest of my live free from religion. I've told people several times that I don't need a religion to be a good person.

And I love bacon!