New 16 yr old Atheist in a Christian Family

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2012, 07:15 AM
New 16 yr old Atheist in a Christian Family
Fellow teens,
How did you deal with religious parents/family and a new life as an Atheist?
I'm brand new to all this, and I live in the Bible belt (Texas), and until now my life has been 100% Christian.
What is YOUR story? I really want to know! Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-12-2012, 09:16 PM
RE: New 16 yr old Atheist in a Christian Family
(26-12-2012 07:15 AM)TheToughTruth Wrote:  Fellow teens,
How did you deal with religious parents/family and a new life as an Atheist?
I'm brand new to all this, and I live in the Bible belt (Texas), and until now my life has been 100% Christian.
What is YOUR story? I really want to know! Smile
Hey! Welcome!

Currently I am living with my religious fundamentalist parents who have not taken the initial statement about my lack of faith. Actually I was on Seth's podcast when I called in to tell my story. I have actually made several posts about it. I'll try to find one of the, and link it to you so I don't have to rehash my story multiple times. Don't take that the wrong way.

I just try to avoid my parents and their religious nature. If I ever come in contact with them, usually a very awkward silence ensues. I have effectively back listed my parents since they have repeatedly dissapointed me, and denied me what I think I deserve (contact with my real mother, etc.)

I just want to ask you a question, have you come out to them? Or are you waiting it out?

Tell me your story? How did you DECONVERT and what made you change your mind?

I am really interested in your story and your views.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
26-12-2012, 09:32 PM
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...e-Atheists

Here ya go, there are some other stories on there that you might find insightful.

I hope to hear a lot more from you. We could use more young, and logical people this day and age.

26-12-2012, 11:02 PM
@Atothetheist Well I sure am glad I have you to talk to you! Big Grin Well, I'm Hannah and my area in the US is über conservative and even if your not a practicing Christian, you might as well be Christian by default. I have gone to the same church for 10+ years and technically been a "believer" since I was six. In my world, atheists and the like are well known and whispered about. (a few of my cousins are)
My parents are divorced, which (ironically) is partially b/c my Dad became fundamentalist if. i. e. He started to give away all our money and becoming extreme. My mom is my BFF and is reasonable and very loving. Smile I adore my fam more than anything. <3
So the past few weeks, I have been seriously doubting the church and it's like I already knew it, I just had to realize it. But the truth is already hurting. I am seriously anti-conflict and take things really hard Sad The Bible contradictions, anti-scientific, judgemental, has always gotten under my skin. Now I have to figure it out and what to believe (agnostic/atheist/skeptic?)
26-12-2012, 11:03 PM
Howdy fellow Texan', I know how you feel. If you ever need someone to talk to feel free to PM me.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
26-12-2012, 11:30 PM
Welcome aboard.

(26-12-2012 11:02 PM)TheToughTruth Wrote:  Now I have to figure it out and what to believe (agnostic/atheist/skeptic?)
It's more like figuring out what not to believe, if you catch my drift. Wink

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
27-12-2012, 12:53 AM
(26-12-2012 11:02 PM)TheToughTruth Wrote:  @Atothetheist Well I sure am glad I have you to talk to you! Big Grin Well, I'm Hannah and my area in the US is über conservative and even if your not a practicing Christian, you might as well be Christian by default. I have gone to the same church for 10+ years and technically been a "believer" since I was six. In my world, atheists and the like are well known and whispered about. (a few of my cousins are)
My parents are divorced, which (ironically) is partially b/c my Dad became fundamentalist if. i. e. He started to give away all our money and becoming extreme. My mom is my BFF and is reasonable and very loving. Smile I adore my fam more than anything. <3
So the past few weeks, I have been seriously doubting the church and it's like I already knew it, I just had to realize it. But the truth is already hurting. I am seriously anti-conflict and take things really hard Sad The Bible contradictions, anti-scientific, judgemental, has always gotten under my skin. Now I have to figure it out and what to believe (agnostic/atheist/skeptic?)
I see. If you don't mind I would like to ask you a series of questions:

What denomination were you?

How has this change affected the social atmosphere of your relationsships aither with friends or family?

Are you sickened by the fact that you are deconverting, or are you regretting the fact that you were religious? ( Note: this one is not at all to presuppose the notion of regret or sadness.)

personally, I am a strong advocate of a Skeptic position where you evaluate claims according to whether or not there is STRONG and TESTABLE evidence.

I would also like to point out that atheism and agnosticism is really based on your personal preference. I think that agnostic atheism is the most intellectually honest positions of Disbelief.

my final question is:

What brings you to this site?
Tongue

27-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Thanks everyone!
To answer your questions:
I was a Biblical Christian, non-denominational.
My mom, bro and sister all know that I've become highly skeptical of Christianity and we've gotten into arguments, in one my mom (who's the most defensive) actually admitted that the Bible could have "huge mistakes" and Abraham was probably psychotic for being willing to kill Isaac.
I know that I'm an agnostic, and any god in a religious viewpoint is subject to high criticism. Even if one exists, he is cruel and uncaring for sure.
A part of me really wants to believe Christianity, that woul make things much simpler. But I also feel an identity in non-belief. I'm just sad b/c I don't know how to handle Church events and so much religious stuff.
27-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Oh and I just Googled Atheist forums Smile
27-12-2012, 02:25 PM
(27-12-2012 12:13 PM)TheToughTruth Wrote:  Oh and I just Googled Atheist forums Smile

Alright. Tongue
I have always understood that people want answers to everything. Christianity( or basically ALL Religions) claims to have such answers and even more answers then they have the basic honesty to admit are bad answers.

People will settle for a bad answer over no answer at all.

Onto the topic of Abraham, we have no idea if he even existed. We have no secular or even extra-theological evidence on him. Even if he was real, the moral question to ask is by what right do we have to kill other people? What right did he have to kill his son? Was it because he was his father? Well, that would be an immoral position to take seeing as if you think that's moral, then a father killing his offspring would be moral. Was it because God ordered him to? Well, if so, by what standard do you judge your moral opinion of God? Is it because he is our Father? Same rebuttal as before applies. Is it Might Makes Right? Well then, Sadly to say power doesn't equal morality. The examples of this should be fairly obvious.

Also, imagine if Abraham WAS insane, what would you think of his actions?

If the magical man in the sky wanted Abraham to do something, the only moral conclusion is that he should do it if it involves only himself and if he is consenting. If he wants to do something that involves something else, please have the other party chiefly involved consent before doing it.

It's the right thing to do, after all

[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Having Family Issues Cyvas 4 90 01-07-2014 12:33 PM
Last Post: Cyvas