New Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2016, 02:37 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2016 02:48 PM by goldenarm.)
New Atheism
[align=right]Hey everyone! As some of you may know I'm currently a closet atheist and one day I plan to come out and spread my atheism. My reason is because of how much religion harms people.

[align=right] I was wondering what you all thought about making some social media accounts? Maybe I could make an atheist Facebook account or something and share videos like " Zeitgeist", and post links to books like the "God Delusion" and the Skeptics Annotated Bible. I'm not saying I will, but I'm just curious what thoughts and opinions you all have about this? Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2016, 02:50 PM
RE: New Atheism
So you're saying you want to make a second Facebook account so you can remain closeted, but still post atheist stuff? I've considered doing something like that, not starting my own page or group, but just to join some of the ones that are out there without publicly professing my atheism to all of my Facebook friends.

Zeitgeist was one of the first movies I ever watched on the topic of atheism. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone now, though. Let's just say... I discovered atheism before I discovered skepticism.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 3 users Like cactus's post
06-03-2016, 02:51 PM
Don't share Zeitgeist. It's a piece of effluvium. I see no harm in this venture, good luck.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
06-03-2016, 02:52 PM
(06-03-2016 02:50 PM)cactus Wrote:  So you're saying you want to make a second Facebook account so you can remain closeted, but still post atheist stuff? I've considered doing something like that, not starting my own page or group, but just to join some of the ones that are out there without publicly professing my atheism to all of my Facebook friends.

Zeitgeist was one of the first movies I ever watched on the topic of atheism. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone now, though. Let's just say... I discovered atheism before I discovered skepticism.

Yep! That's what I'm considering.
06-03-2016, 02:54 PM
(06-03-2016 02:51 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Don't share Zeitgeist. It's a piece of effluvium. I see no harm in this venture, good luck.

Okay thanks! And what exactly do you mean concerning Zeitgeist?
06-03-2016, 02:55 PM
(06-03-2016 02:51 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Don't share Zeitgeist. It's a piece of effluvium. I see no harm in this venture, good luck.

It's kind of entertaining. In a morbid Faces of Death kinda way.

#sigh
06-03-2016, 03:00 PM
(06-03-2016 02:54 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  

Okay thanks! And what exactly do you mean concerning Zeitgeist?

While it gets some things correct, it's based entirely on a non-peer-reviewed book that is mostly full of shit and loaded with conspiracy delusions. It does make you think, but most of it can't be verified or even taken seriously. It's entertaining, but should never be held up as a gotcha moment or given any credence.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
06-03-2016, 03:52 PM
(06-03-2016 03:00 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(06-03-2016 02:54 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  Okay thanks! And what exactly do you mean concerning Zeitgeist?

While it gets some things correct, it's based entirely on a non-peer-reviewed book that is mostly full of shit and loaded with conspiracy delusions. It does make you think, but most of it can't be verified or even taken seriously. It's entertaining, but should never be held up as a gotcha moment or given any credence.

Okay I gotcha! Thanks.
[+] 1 user Likes goldenarm's post
06-03-2016, 04:02 PM
You're just angry with god, because you want to do evil. You can't fool us. Rolleyes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 8 users Like Bucky Ball's post
06-03-2016, 09:22 PM
I saw that zeitgeist movie with someone that was wholesale sold on it.

My bullshit sensors went on full alert when they were describing how to build a city with 3D printing. Nearly EVERYTHING about that city is wrong. The static design leaves no room for changes in population, there's not enough redundancy in the transportation setup, they separate residential areas from work areas -- not just zoning a few blocks one way and a few another, but literally putting them in different quarters of the city -- in a move guaranteed to maximize transportation costs and time just so thinks are neat on paper... though of course a community is NEVER as neat as it looks on paper...

Most of the problems that Zeitgeist identifies are significant and deserve attention. A few of the tools that Zeitgeist uses are decent ones. But none of the solutions have been thought out with a single gram of "how might this fail to work" skepticism. It reminded me, more than anything else, of Marx's Communism. Oh, not in the overall model and not in any of the details, but in the vague hand-wavery and not really understanding how the nitty gritty wouldn't work. (Oh, and the idea of everyone just spontaneously giving up money seemed a lot like the spontaneous overthrow of the capitalists from Communism.)

If anything like the Zeitgeist film were ever implemented, you can bet it would be about as successful as the various attempts at purely Libertarian communities we've seen of the past couple of decades.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post