New Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2016, 09:50 PM
RE: New Atheism
(06-03-2016 09:22 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  I saw that zeitgeist movie with someone that was wholesale sold on it.

My bullshit sensors went on full alert when they were describing how to build a city with 3D printing. Nearly EVERYTHING about that city is wrong. The static design leaves no room for changes in population, there's not enough redundancy in the transportation setup, they separate residential areas from work areas -- not just zoning a few blocks one way and a few another, but literally putting them in different quarters of the city -- in a move guaranteed to maximize transportation costs and time just so thinks are neat on paper... though of course a community is NEVER as neat as it looks on paper...

Most of the problems that Zeitgeist identifies are significant and deserve attention. A few of the tools that Zeitgeist uses are decent ones. But none of the solutions have been thought out with a single gram of "how might this fail to work" skepticism. It reminded me, more than anything else, of Marx's Communism. Oh, not in the overall model and not in any of the details, but in the vague hand-wavery and not really understanding how the nitty gritty wouldn't work. (Oh, and the idea of everyone just spontaneously giving up money seemed a lot like the spontaneous overthrow of the capitalists from Communism.)

If anything like the Zeitgeist film were ever implemented, you can bet it would be about as successful as the various attempts at purely Libertarian communities we've seen of the past couple of decades.

I think you're talking about Zeitgeist Moving Forward, one of the sequels to the original. I'm talking about the original.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2016, 09:54 PM
(06-03-2016 02:37 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  [align=right]Hey everyone! As some of you may know I'm currently a closet atheist and one day I plan to come out and spread my atheism. My reason is because of how much religion harms people.

[align=right] I was wondering what you all thought about making some social media accounts? Maybe I could make an atheist Facebook account or something and share videos like " Zeitgeist", and post links to books like the "God Delusion" and the Skeptics Annotated Bible. I'm not saying I will, but I'm just curious what thoughts and opinions you all have about this? Thanks!

Atheists can be religious.
Atheism is disbelief so how does one spread disbelief? We can't convert people to atheism. It just doesn't work that way.

Zeitgeist is horrible.
Find all posts by this user
07-03-2016, 05:56 AM
Zeitgeist was based on the works of lecture-circuit hucksters.

Try this instead. Nobody's seen it before. Totes fresh.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 4 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
07-03-2016, 06:18 AM
(07-03-2016 05:56 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Zeitgeist was based on the works of lecture-circuit hucksters.

Okay I will check it out! Thanks

" That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
07-03-2016, 06:28 AM
(07-03-2016 05:56 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Zeitgeist was based on the works of lecture-circuit hucksters.

The granddaddy of internet memes.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
07-03-2016, 06:45 AM
(06-03-2016 02:37 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  [align=right]Hey everyone! As some of you may know I'm currently a closet atheist and one day I plan to come out and spread my atheism. My reason is because of how much religion harms people.

[align=right] I was wondering what you all thought about making some social media accounts? Maybe I could make an atheist Facebook account or something and share videos like " Zeitgeist", and post links to books like the "God Delusion" and the Skeptics Annotated Bible. I'm not saying I will, but I'm just curious what thoughts and opinions you all have about this? Thanks!

My FB page is my atheist/feminist/political page. I opened it with my real first name and a non-name last name (just a word, not a name). All my "friends" on it are atheist (mostly from other atheist pages or previous atheists groups) and I do not friend non-atheist family or friends and no co-workers at all. That way I'm safe from name searches. I was job hunting for many months and I didn't want a name search to pull up my non-belief because in my backwater state I would never find a job as an atheist.

It works great for me. I have an outlet for my disdain of intrusive religious crap and a place where I can share freethinking ideas. I'm very happy with it.

If someone at work or someone who doesn't know I'm atheist asks to friend me I just say "no" it's a page for my group and that all I use it for. If they ask what group I say that's personal. That's all. Works well for me.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
07-03-2016, 08:07 AM
(06-03-2016 09:50 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(06-03-2016 09:22 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  I saw that zeitgeist movie with someone that was wholesale sold on it.

My bullshit sensors went on full alert when they were describing how to build a city with 3D printing. Nearly EVERYTHING about that city is wrong. The static design leaves no room for changes in population, there's not enough redundancy in the transportation setup, they separate residential areas from work areas -- not just zoning a few blocks one way and a few another, but literally putting them in different quarters of the city -- in a move guaranteed to maximize transportation costs and time just so thinks are neat on paper... though of course a community is NEVER as neat as it looks on paper...

Most of the problems that Zeitgeist identifies are significant and deserve attention. A few of the tools that Zeitgeist uses are decent ones. But none of the solutions have been thought out with a single gram of "how might this fail to work" skepticism. It reminded me, more than anything else, of Marx's Communism. Oh, not in the overall model and not in any of the details, but in the vague hand-wavery and not really understanding how the nitty gritty wouldn't work. (Oh, and the idea of everyone just spontaneously giving up money seemed a lot like the spontaneous overthrow of the capitalists from Communism.)

If anything like the Zeitgeist film were ever implemented, you can bet it would be about as successful as the various attempts at purely Libertarian communities we've seen of the past couple of decades.

I think you're talking about Zeitgeist Moving Forward, one of the sequels to the original. I'm talking about the original.

Could be... if so, my friend didn't clarify. It was enough for me to call bullshit on it.
07-03-2016, 02:55 PM
(07-03-2016 06:45 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  

My FB page is my atheist/feminist/political page. I opened it with my real first name and a non-name last name (just a word, not a name). All my "friends" on it are atheist (mostly from other atheist pages or previous atheists groups) and I do not friend non-atheist family or friends and no co-workers at all. That way I'm safe from name searches. I was job hunting for many months and I didn't want a name search to pull up my non-belief because in my backwater state I would never find a job as an atheist.

It works great for me. I have an outlet for my disdain of intrusive religious crap and a place where I can share freethinking ideas. I'm very happy with it.

If someone at work or someone who doesn't know I'm atheist asks to friend me I just say "no" it's a page for my group and that all I use it for. If they ask what group I say that's personal. That's all. Works well for me.

I like that! Yea I'm with you because it feels good to talk to other open minded people.

" That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
07-03-2016, 03:00 PM
(06-03-2016 09:22 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  If anything like the Zeitgeist film were ever implemented, you can bet it would be about as successful as the various attempts at purely Libertarian communities we've seen of the past couple of decades.

Or Esperanto.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
07-03-2016, 05:12 PM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2016 05:55 PM by cactus.)
I hate that Facebook tries to announce every fucking thing I do. I don't even think there's a way stealthily RSVP for an event. A second FB account is pretty much a must for anyone who's in the closet about anything, but still wants to get involved in local events and stuff (though I currently use meetup.com for this purpose. Most of the atheist/skeptical groups within reasonable driving distance from me are listed on there, even if they already have a Facebook page). Also, I check my privacy settings a couple of times a year to make sure Facebook didn't sneak any new auto-sharing "features" in under my nose.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?