New Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2015, 08:15 AM
New Atheist
Yep, new atheist. Though did not happen overnight. For my testimony, I'll do something a little different. Yes, it'll be a life story, but bringing with it the very meaning of brief, it'll just be an outline as it pertains to my religious influences. Any of these you want to ask me, feel free to:

Gospel Hall:
- first memory of church
- against accompanied music (no piano, no guitar, just a cappella)

Fundamentalist Baptist
- 3rd Grade to 10th Grade
- church and private school
- have to dress up, against women wearing pants (even in playtime, ladies have to wear culottes. Culottes! Girls at gym class - culottes! Facepalm )
- at least it wasn't Westborough (I'm gonna admit... not a good defense... at all)
- okay with accompanied music, but against anything with a contemporary beat
- against any other Bible version but the King James
- High school science teacher was a young earth creationist and geocentrist.
- drama in church tests faith
* man beats wife, church convinces couple to stay together (once married, always married)
* 15 year old gets pregnant, expelled from school
* Seniors go to a Pink Floyd concert, weekend before graduation, expelled from school, no diploma
* Church was asked to minister to a gay man dying of AIDs, church refuses because the man has been "given over to a reprobate mind"
- Leave that crap behind

Baptist, but a little more liberal
- okay with other Bible versions
- okay with contemporary beats, bring on the Christian rock (as an atheist now I still love DC Talk's "Jesus Freak")

College years
- 2 years as a theatre major. (not that it matters, spent the rest as a music ed major, still wasted it since I'm not a music teacher, so never mind all that.) Meeting some of the most comedic though offensive people ever. And I just didn't want to admit yet that I love offensive comedy. Love it.
- Lots of different Christians with lots of different views on religion.
- the more different views I come in contact with (Christian and non), and the more things I learn (science classes, theology classes, philosophy, etc.), the more my religious views become less valid and have to be adjusted.

After college
- meet theistic evolutionists, like their stuff, become one too
- view the verse "God is love" as literal. This was what I felt to be a major philosophical and religious revelation.
- Question religion as selfish reasoning. Salvation has almost nothing to do with "love God" and more to do with "save your soul". So again adjust my religion
- related to that last point, come to the conclusion that atheists can go to heaven. After all, don't care if they're going to heaven or hell. At the very least, a humanitarian atheist could potentially be less selfish than a religious person
- wrestle with the question of why we need to believe in God at all.

Watched "God's Not Dead" and now I'm full blown atheist. And no, it's not even that easy. There were a lot of things I looked up, a lot of things to consider. But "God's Not Dead" actually pushed me over the edge. Thanks, faith-based film, for turning me into an atheist.

God's Not Dead was a hilarious movie, that misrepresented everything that atheists really are. And I actually though, watching to movie, that the Christian arguments for God, were probably way better than the movie supplied. But then realized not so much. If you research what religious people really use as arguments, they are definitely worded way better, and with more detail, but it's not much better.

So that's where I am now. I left religion on the best of terms. Meaning that I didn't have a close, tragic death in the family. I didn't look at the world and go, "How could there be a just and loving God who lets bad things happen to good people? Hunger and torture and rape and death, and the guy that gets rich and has a good life is always a douchebag. Why, God, why?" No, I know that religion already has an explanation for all that, maybe not a good one, but... they have it.

Let me be clear: I have absolutely no desire to disprove the existence of God (as I think, and I could be wrong, most atheists are the same way as me). The Bible actually has a good verse, "The fool hath said in his heart: there is no God." Guess what: really good verse and it's true. Why? Because it deals with the unknown. There's nothing wrong with saying, "I don't know." Now science has proved that most things don't need God to function. But if the nature of God can be explained as beyond all laws of science, then, maybe... But, why bother. Why can't we stick with what we know and can be known? The existence of God? Don't care. Could not care less than I do now. My concern is why continue to hold on to something that cannot be known.

I don't know if there's a god, but if he, she, it resembles any god we have already come up with, it would be a god that doesn't care whether we love and worship him or believe he exists. Know any gods like that?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like WalkingSnake's post
07-05-2015, 08:30 AM
RE: New Atheist
Welcome! Nope don't any god(s) that fit that description. I think that's because they were all invented by people and supposed to be worshipped...

Hope you stick around.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
07-05-2015, 08:50 AM
New Atheist
Welcome aboard. We ran out of gift baskets, but if you'd like I've got a few coupons for auditing sessions (e-meter hardware included) Big Grin

In all seriousness, I look forward to your future contributions.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Cosmic Discourse's post
07-05-2015, 08:54 AM
I should also add that right now my major struggle is trying to find a way to tell my very spiritual mother. I love her, and owe a lot to her. But this news may be devastating.
07-05-2015, 09:13 AM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2015 11:14 AM by goodwithoutgod.)
(07-05-2015 08:15 AM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  Yep, new atheist. Though did not happen overnight. For my testimony, I'll do something a little different. Yes, it'll be a life story, but bringing with it the very meaning of brief, it'll just be an outline as it pertains to my religious influences. Any of these you want to ask me, feel free to:

Gospel Hall:
- first memory of church
- against accompanied music (no piano, no guitar, just a cappella)

Fundamentalist Baptist
- 3rd Grade to 10th Grade
- church and private school
- have to dress up, against women wearing pants (even in playtime, ladies have to wear culottes. Culottes! Girls at gym class - culottes! Facepalm )
- at least it wasn't Westborough (I'm gonna admit... not a good defense... at all)
- okay with accompanied music, but against anything with a contemporary beat
- against any other Bible version but the King James
- High school science teacher was a young earth creationist and geocentrist.
- drama in church tests faith
* man beats wife, church convinces couple to stay together (once married, always married)
* 15 year old gets pregnant, expelled from school
* Seniors go to a Pink Floyd concert, weekend before graduation, expelled from school, no diploma
* Church was asked to minister to a gay man dying of AIDs, church refuses because the man has been "given over to a reprobate mind"
- Leave that crap behind

Baptist, but a little more liberal
- okay with other Bible versions
- okay with contemporary beats, bring on the Christian rock (as an atheist now I still love DC Talk's "Jesus Freak")

College years
- 2 years as a theatre major. (not that it matters, spent the rest as a music ed major, still wasted it since I'm not a music teacher, so never mind all that.) Meeting some of the most comedic though offensive people ever. And I just didn't want to admit yet that I love offensive comedy. Love it.
- Lots of different Christians with lots of different views on religion.
- the more different views I come in contact with (Christian and non), and the more things I learn (science classes, theology classes, philosophy, etc.), the more my religious views become less valid and have to be adjusted.

After college
- meet theistic evolutionists, like their stuff, become one too
- view the verse "God is love" as literal. This was what I felt to be a major philosophical and religious revelation.
- Question religion as selfish reasoning. Salvation has almost nothing to do with "love God" and more to do with "save your soul". So again adjust my religion
- related to that last point, come to the conclusion that atheists can go to heaven. After all, don't care if they're going to heaven or hell. At the very least, a humanitarian atheist could potentially be less selfish than a religious person
- wrestle with the question of why we need to believe in God at all.

Watched "God's Not Dead" and now I'm full blown atheist. And no, it's not even that easy. There were a lot of things I looked up, a lot of things to consider. But "God's Not Dead" actually pushed me over the edge. Thanks, faith-based film, for turning me into an atheist.

God's Not Dead was a hilarious movie, that misrepresented everything that atheists really are. And I actually though, watching to movie, that the Christian arguments for God, were probably way better than the movie supplied. But then realized not so much. If you research what religious people really use as arguments, they are definitely worded way better, and with more detail, but it's not much better.

So that's where I am now. I left religion on the best of terms. Meaning that I didn't have a close, tragic death in the family. I didn't look at the world and go, "How could there be a just and loving God who lets bad things happen to good people? Hunger and torture and rape and death, and the guy that gets rich and has a good life is always a douchebag. Why, God, why?" No, I know that religion already has an explanation for all that, maybe not a good one, but... they have it.

Let me be clear: I have absolutely no desire to disprove the existence of God (as I think, and I could be wrong, most atheists are the same way as me). The Bible actually has a good verse, "The fool hath said in his heart: there is no God." Guess what: really good verse and it's true. Why? Because it deals with the unknown. There's nothing wrong with saying, "I don't know." Now science has proved that most things don't need God to function. But if the nature of God can be explained as beyond all laws of science, then, maybe... But, why bother. Why can't we stick with what we know and can be known? The existence of God? Don't care. Could not care less than I do now. My concern is why continue to hold on to something that cannot be known.

I don't know if there's a god, but if he, she, it resembles any god we have already come up with, it would be a god that doesn't care whether we love and worship him or believe he exists. Know any gods like that?

Welcome, great intro, and interesting journey. I have always loved the "The fool hath said in his heart: there is no God" scripture usage, I always respond with,

Matthew 5:22
"But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, 'You good-for-nothing,' shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, 'You fool,' shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell". Evil_monster

Everyones journey is different, and ends in many different spiritual places. I cannot disprove a god's existence, but I can say there exists no known evidence to substantiate one, and I confidently state the abrahamic based, anthropocentric christian god concept is false because we can trace the lie to its creation, disprove the stories of the bible, and discredit by historical evidence all those who wrote of jesus.. but, I wont say there doesnt exist the possibility of a god, just that it is highly improbable. It is also possible Venus is hollow and full of little blue men who ride unicorns Big Grin

Welcome Thumbsup

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
07-05-2015, 09:21 AM
(07-05-2015 08:54 AM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  I should also add that right now my major struggle is trying to find a way to tell my very spiritual mother. I love her, and owe a lot to her. But this news may be devastating.
That's an understandable struggle to have. Everyone's situation is different, but if she's receptive on the whole (as far as other topics go), you may be surprised that even within the deeply religious/spiritual community, civil conversation can be had.

When I inform others of my atheism, I usually try to express my love for them, and set aside some time to field questions. Though we may disagree on a host of issues, the dialog can at least help them see a different perspective.

This is of course assuming a certain level of open mindedness. Only you will truly know the best course of action, but it may surprise you, how well those who really know us take the news.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmic Discourse's post
07-05-2015, 09:55 AM
(07-05-2015 08:54 AM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  I should also add that right now my major struggle is trying to find a way to tell my very spiritual mother. I love her, and owe a lot to her. But this news may be devastating.

Nah, you are her kid. If she freaks out at all, it will be an instinctive, protective reaction. She might fear harm may come to you, though she'd probably be vague as to exactly what harm and how it might come. It's an instinct reinforced by a fearful religious upbringing, no doubt.

Frankly, why bother to tell her unless she inquires? When she sees how comfortable you have become in your skin, she'll feel that much more comfortable with whoever you happen to be. If she asks, let her know and let her know there's no fear or compromise in how you've come to understanding your self. You've been around the block a few times and you conduct your life with compassion and empathy ... instinctive human traits which enhance logic, reason, and happiness. She may come to realize, no mother could want more for her child.

Good to have you here, WalkingSnake.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
07-05-2015, 10:10 AM
Hello! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
07-05-2015, 10:32 AM
Hello and welcome to our community!

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
07-05-2015, 10:38 AM
Welcome!

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes TurkeyBurner's post