New Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2015, 10:44 AM
RE: New Atheist
Welcome.

Regarding telling your mother:

I don't see any reason to tell her unless you feel bad by not doing so. It seems that no good can come of it so why bother?

Though this comes from a guy who lives in a place where religion is close to a non-issue.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2015, 10:58 AM
(07-05-2015 08:54 AM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  I should also add that right now my major struggle is trying to find a way to tell my very spiritual mother. I love her, and owe a lot to her. But this news may be devastating.

I think snakes have vetigial limbs, so that's not so suprising. Now a ''talking snake" ... that's just ridiculous. Weeping

I don't see why you have to say to your mother "I'm an atheist". Over the course of time, you can just let on that you have some problems with Western religions. I see no reson why older people have to be hurt, 0who understand "atheism" as part of the gigantic Satanic "atheist communism" they learned those words in the context of. They may not actually remember that, but, subliminally, it's there.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
07-05-2015, 11:16 AM
(07-05-2015 08:54 AM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  I should also add that right now my major struggle is trying to find a way to tell my very spiritual mother. I love her, and owe a lot to her. But this news may be devastating.

That is a challenge. My mother is a pentecostal minister, and I have never said the words "I am an atheist" to her, but she is very aware I am non-religious. The subject is just avoided by us, she prays for me, and I smile at her and change the subject politely. best of luck...

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
07-05-2015, 11:24 AM
Welcome to the group! Smile There's no rush to tell anyone anything. Admitting to yourself that you are an agnostic/atheist is a process of its own. For me, I just dropped little hints everywhere--just to feel my family out--and then finally let the cat out of the bag when I felt comfortable doing so. I still go to mass sometimes for Christmas--but i do so as a family function and not to worship a sky god. I do still like some of the Christmas music and the church I go to has mass in a barn...and of course they sometimes like to do little re-enactments I just look at it as a night out at the theatre. Tongue

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
07-05-2015, 11:32 AM
Welcome
07-05-2015, 12:36 PM
Welcome! Great intro! Smile

It's amazing to see just how much religion pushes away its own people.
We live in an age where global information, communication and networking are expanding and improving at a phenominal rate. The way people share information and ideas is a massive blow to the church, who rely on fear and ignorance to keep control of people.

To counter, a lot of the denominations here in Europe write off many of the less palitable tales of the bible as 'metaphors' or 'parables' which further decreases the integrity of everything else they teach.

Anyway, I'm rambling now Tongue

Enjoy your time on TTA!

LL Chase

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too"? - Douglas Adams Bechased
07-05-2015, 12:38 PM
(07-05-2015 12:36 PM)LostLegend Wrote:  Welcome! Great intro! Smile

It's amazing to see just how much religion pushes away its own people.
We live in an age where global information, communication and networking are expanding and improving at a phenominal rate. The way people share information and ideas is a massive blow to the church, who rely on fear and ignorance to keep control of people.

To counter, a lot of the denominations here in Europe write off many of the less palitable tales of the bible as 'metaphors' or 'parables' which further decreases the integrity of everything else the teach.

Anyway, I'm rambling now Tongue

Enjoy your time on TTA!

LL Chase

Yeah, they do that here in the U.S. too--they pick and choose which passages are "real" and which ones are "stories." It's like you can't have it both ways.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi