New Atheist Dukes it Out with Seasoned Pastor

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
10-07-2013, 12:59 AM
RE: New Atheist Dukes it Out with Seasoned Pastor
I keep coming back to this post. So many things I would have said differently now that I know better.

Just a small update. 2 months ago, I noticed my aunt had a copy of "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis, just laying there in her sun room. I went home and downloaded a copy, finished it, digested it, then followed it up with a video series "An Atheist Reads..." (highly recommend this series for a critique on modern religious literature) on YouTube.

About two weeks ago or so, I mentioned I saw the book, downloaded it, finished it, and was ready to give my thoughts on the book. "Oh, I've been meaning to give you that book", she said.

I did my due diligence, and gave it a shot eagerly before she asked. I simply wasn't convinced by Lewis' arguments and flawed logic. I mentioned since she offered me a book, it would be only fair for me to make a recommendation for her. "A Letter to a Christian Nation" by Sam Harris was my choice.

Needless to say, this suggestion was not received well. I'm still waiting on an answer. She has given up confronting me directly face to face or on Facebook about the topic of disbelief, and has taken to letting out her frustrations about my atheistic Facebook posts to everyone else in the family, who in turn, run and tell me everything anyway.

Still, I wish she'd play fair and just pick up that one book.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like KMFDM_Kid2000's post
10-07-2013, 01:10 AM
I must say I do love your approach. Keep up the good work.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
10-07-2013, 02:49 AM
(10-07-2013 12:59 AM)KMFDM_Kid2000 Wrote:  I keep coming back to this post. So many things I would have said differently now that I know better.

Just a small update. 2 months ago, I noticed my aunt had a copy of "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis, just laying there in her sun room. I went home and downloaded a copy, finished it, digested it, then followed it up with a video series "An Atheist Reads..." (highly recommend this series for a critique on modern religious literature) on YouTube.

About two weeks ago or so, I mentioned I saw the book, downloaded it, finished it, and was ready to give my thoughts on the book. "Oh, I've been meaning to give you that book", she said.

I did my due diligence, and gave it a shot eagerly before she asked. I simply wasn't convinced by Lewis' arguments and flawed logic. I mentioned since she offered me a book, it would be only fair for me to make a recommendation for her. "A Letter to a Christian Nation" by Sam Harris was my choice.

Needless to say, this suggestion was not received well. I'm still waiting on an answer. She has given up confronting me directly face to face or on Facebook about the topic of disbelief, and has taken to letting out her frustrations about my atheistic Facebook posts to everyone else in the family, who in turn, run and tell me everything anyway.

Still, I wish she'd play fair and just pick up that one book.

Of course she wont read the book. Believers don't tend to liking their beliefs being challenged.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
03-08-2013, 06:59 AM
Great post!
I deconverted over a year ago, but still have yet to come out to anyone, except one Army buddy who I already knew was an atheist. This gave me a lot of insight of how the battle will go with my father. He is not a pastor, but he is pretty devout and intelligent. Still want to study more before I start coming out to people and I know that even then it will be a long, costly road.

Banned from ChristianChat.com for "Spreading Disbelief"
[+] 1 user Likes atheistinhiding82's post
03-08-2013, 12:15 PM
Is it bad that I'm so happy to count it as a WIN because the pastor STOPPED TALKING... If only we could get to the same place with the Mormons and JW's!

Great post.
[+] 1 user Likes Regular_Joe's post
03-08-2013, 04:28 PM
Quote:As an atheist, I believe in no gods. Nothing more, nothing less.

As a free thinker, I will use logic and rational thought to formulate my opinions, and guide myself to finding truth.

As a secular humanist, I believe in the power and value of humanity, the value of life, and it's fragility. The love for one's family and friends. The worth of a person based on his or her integrity, deeds, thoughts, and actions.

As a scientist, I remove all biases in searching for the truth. I never start with a conclusion and try to find facts that support it. I start with evidence, and draw my conclusions based on what I find, ready to revise what I believe, no matter what it is, in the light of better evidence.

As a rationalist, I use logic and reason to guide my thinking, that it may never be clouded by false and nonsensical notions. I realize all are entitled to their opinions, however some opinions are more valid than others, when they are based on fact.

As a skeptic, I don't accept fantastical claims without fantastical evidence. I remain guarded and critical of ideas not rooted in reality.

As an anti-theist, I oppose the abuses of the church and its dogma. I oppose the belief that we are born in need of redemption. I oppose punishment for other's mistakes. I oppose the indoctrination of our youth. I oppose the sexual abuse of children. I oppose misogynistic teachings. I oppose the advocation of slavery. I oppose the bigotry of the church towards minority groups. I oppose wars and killing in the name of god. I oppose teaching false and debunked claims as fact. I oppose changing our laws to suit a specific group based on its teachings that can't be proven. I oppose its superstition.

Finally, I am ready at any moment's notice to debate these issues, in an honest, prepared, and enthusiastic manner while maintaining personal integrity.
Borrowing this. Love it.

Banned from ChristianChat.com for "Spreading Disbelief"
[+] 1 user Likes atheistinhiding82's post
05-08-2013, 09:23 PM
Beautiful. Well done sir.
[+] 1 user Likes SouthernThinker's post
05-08-2013, 09:48 PM
You are the Atheist King! Bowing
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
06-08-2013, 09:23 AM
Sweet corn nuggets! Haaaa!
If I ever run into you, several rounds are on me.

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
[+] 1 user Likes NoSkyDaddy's post
12-03-2014, 07:35 AM
I fucking love this post. I'll just say it. "HOLY" Shit.

Thanks for taking the time to type all that out with him.

And thanks for the simple copy and paste to this site. Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes CONVERSIONTUBE's post