New Atheist Here! Welcome me! :)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2013, 05:41 PM
Shocked New Atheist Here! Welcome me! :)
Hello All!
I'd like to introduce myself to you. My name is Shan. And as of two months ago, I proclaimed my belief system as Atheism. I am an Atheist. (Is "Atheist" always capitalized? Hmm...)

The day I proclaimed to my Christian husband that I am now a full fledged Atheist, the weight of my soul became so much lighter. I was smiling. I was laughing. I'd finally "crossed over." Smile

Life hasn't been well for me over the years. I grew up with alcohol and drug induced parents who beat me and my brothers. One day, Lo and Behold, they became Christians. Now they good beat us all "in the name of the Lord." I became a Christian person at about the age of 14. Although I only believe that I embraced Christianity for the hope that I needed in my life.

Guess what? The Lord never saved me. I saved me. And here I am, all these years later with no help of the Lord, my family or my friends. And I'm doing great for it!

For several years, I've considered that there was no "higher spirit" watching over me. Although I still believed in God and Jesus, I had no faith that they watched over me or answered my prayers. Imagine the feelings I lived with knowing that God was answering others but didn't care about me. It filled me with so much pain.

Only a year or so ago did I start "researching" atheism. Two months ago, I became free. "Coming out" to others has not been so easy. My husband thought it was a "phase" I was exploring. My father in law hung up on me when I professed the fact to him over the phone. My mother in law cried and told me that I'd find my way back one day. Well, I won't. This is the most real to me that I've ever experienced.

About my husband... a wonderful man. One of the reasons he fell in love with me was because of my Christian faith. As I have explained to him recently, I am still "me." I still have the moral standards that I had when we married. I'm still the same loving and devoted wife. I just happen to be "not Christian" anymore. He's come to terms with it and has become very supportive of my new belief system.

Together we own and operate an animal rescue. My heart is for these abandoned and abused animals. None of this will change simply because I am a "new found" Atheist! Heart

So, nice to meet you all! I'm looking forward to learning more and more from all of you as I go along i[/size][/font]nto this new journey of mine!

Shan @ ShanzShack Rescue Inc.
http://www.ShanzShack.com

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Saving just one animal won't change the world... but it will change the world for that one animal.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like ShanzShack Rescue's post
04-11-2013, 06:05 PM
RE: New Atheist Here! Welcome me! :)
Hello! Welcome to the party. Smile

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
04-11-2013, 06:11 PM
Welcome...an animal rescue, too cool. Lots of animal lovers here. I just added another critter to the zoo here.

Pull up a seat and stroll around a bit. Glad to have you here.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
04-11-2013, 06:13 PM
Hello and welcome,
Your story will have a lot of parallels with many here.
What sort of puppy is that it looks awesome.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
04-11-2013, 06:43 PM
Whoo Hoo! I love parties! Thank you![/size]

Saving just one animal won't change the world... but it will change the world for that one animal.
04-11-2013, 06:45 PM
So you also have a zoo?! Sweet! One of the things I learned about people who are atheist is that there is a general sentiment toward animals. (All of life) Just another reason for my decision. What sort of creatures are in your care?

04-11-2013, 06:52 PM
(04-11-2013 06:45 PM)ShanzShack Rescue Wrote:  So you also have a zoo?! Sweet! One of the things I learned about people who are atheist is that there is a general sentiment toward animals. (All of life) Just another reason for my decision. What sort of creatures are in your care?

Two parrots, one a rescue. Three dogs, one a rescue. And recently added a kitten from a local shelter.

Wait till GirlyMan says hello, his wife rescues beagles.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
04-11-2013, 06:55 PM
(04-11-2013 06:13 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Hello and welcome,
Your story will have a lot of parallels with many here.
What sort of puppy is that it looks awesome.

While researching atheism, I read several stories that are similar to mine. How oppressing for me and others. This is the way. I'm sure of it.

The puppy I'm holding in my picture is a dog that our daughter rescued. She found him taped up in a box on the edge of a farmer field. He's still with her to this day... 3 yrs later. His name is Jagger and he is an Australian Shepherd and we believe also with a mix of Norwegian ElkHound. He's gorgeous. Never seen a dog like him. (And we've rescued many dogs! Big Grin)

Thank you for the welcome! Nice to meet you!

04-11-2013, 07:03 PM
(04-11-2013 06:52 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(04-11-2013 06:45 PM)ShanzShack Rescue Wrote:  So you also have a zoo?! Sweet! One of the things I learned about people who are atheist is that there is a general sentiment toward animals. (All of life) Just another reason for my decision. What sort of creatures are in your care?

Two parrots, one a rescue. Three dogs, one a rescue. And recently added a kitten from a local shelter.

Wait till GirlyMan says hello, his wife rescues beagles.

LOL! You do have a zoo! I'm familiar for sure! Can't wait to hear from GirlyMan... we rescued a family of beagles two years ago. We drove 1200 mls to get them out of a pit bull fighting ring. The idiots used the mother to train pit bulls to fight. They're all adopted out and healthy and happy! (Momma dog did die shortly after we rescued her due to heartworm. It was incredibly sad.) Nice to visit with you!

04-11-2013, 07:03 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Congrats on being strong enough to keep looking for answers. Will we ever have all the answers? I doubt it. But what's the point in not looking for them?

I love animals!

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user