RE: New Atheist Here! Welcome me! :)
please*

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2013, 01:48 AM
(04-11-2013 06:52 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Wait till GirlyMan says hello, his wife rescues beagles.

(05-11-2013 08:39 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Welcome to the asylum...I mean forum Smile

We haz teh treatz. Big Grin

[Image: ThePack.jpg]

Welcome fellow savior!

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
08-11-2013, 01:59 AM
Ahhh, love the photo Girlyman, love beagles.
Welcome Shan, we have 3 rescue dogs - a Dalmatian who had been chained up 24/7, a red Labrador who we found wandering along the road and a black lab cross whose former owner had to give her up (very reluctantly) due to a family bereavement.
Do you think that, perhaps, some animal lovers stop believing in god when they realise that they don't go to heaven? I think this affected me as a child - I thought, 'If there are no dogs or cats in heaven, I don't want to go there'.
That is not heaven to me.
[+] 1 user Likes englishrose's post
10-11-2013, 06:55 AM
You are WELCOME! Big Grin

Glad to here you have a cool husband. My wife (smoothcriminal) will instantly be your biggest fan seeing that you run an animal rescue. We kind of have an informal cat sanctuary going on at my house as well Wink

13-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Hi Shan, i apologize for this short message as i am on a tablet. I am happy that you were able to come out and that your husband accepts you! I will only leave the comment for now that atheism or atheist never require capitalization unless they are the first word of a sentence as these words are not proper nouns.
13-11-2013, 03:28 PM
Hi Shan!

To answer your question, no atheist or atheism does not need special capitalization as it is not a proper noun (similarly theist requires no capitalization).

I'm always glad to hear about people breaking out of religion, so congratulations! You have won, at life! Haha. I'm sorry for the tension you have with your in laws, but hopefully it will pass over and become a non issue in the years to come.

Regarding your unequally yoked relationship, depending on the passion and extent of belief and lack of belief, I totally think it is possible to have a successful relationship. Religion doesn't HAVE to be the center of all things, nor a player in your life or conversations. The one exception to this is when couples start having kids. I, personally, could not let my kid be indoctrinated or have a god belief promoted to my children by a position of authority inside my own house. This is just me though. If you two have kids or plan to have them someday, I hope you have a very detailed conversation where you outline what is acceptable (for both of you) and what is not Smile.

Well nice to greet you!
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
07-12-2013, 01:41 AM
Hello! Big Grin
07-12-2013, 05:34 AM
(04-11-2013 05:41 PM)ShanzShack Rescue Wrote:  My name is Shan.
Guess what? The Lord never saved me. I saved me.

Your own personal Lord and Savior. Your own personal Jesus. Thumbsup

(04-11-2013 05:41 PM)ShanzShack Rescue Wrote:  About my husband... a wonderful man. One of the reasons he fell in love with me was because of my Christian faith. As I have explained to him recently, I am still "me." I still have the moral standards that I had when we married. I'm still the same loving and devoted wife. I just happen to be "not Christian" anymore. He's come to terms with it and has become very supportive of my new belief system.

And he will become his own personal Lord and Savior. His own personal Jesus. His own temporary embodiment of The Word.

(04-11-2013 05:41 PM)ShanzShack Rescue Wrote:  Together we own and operate an animal rescue. My heart is for these abandoned and abused animals. None of this will change simply because I am a "new found" Atheist! Heart

ManlyGirl rescues Beagles.

[Image: ThePack.jpg]

Yeah, it's a double post. Blow me.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
07-12-2013, 05:57 AM
(04-11-2013 05:41 PM)ShanzShack Rescue Wrote:  Hello All!
I'd like to introduce myself to you. My name is Shan. And as of two months ago, I proclaimed my belief system as Atheism. I am an Atheist. (Is "Atheist" always capitalized? Hmm...)

The day I proclaimed to my Christian husband that I am now a full fledged Atheist, the weight of my soul became so much lighter. I was smiling. I was laughing. I'd finally "crossed over." Smile

Life hasn't been well for me over the years. I grew up with alcohol and drug induced parents who beat me and my brothers. One day, Lo and Behold, they became Christians. Now they good beat us all "in the name of the Lord." I became a Christian person at about the age of 14. Although I only believe that I embraced Christianity for the hope that I needed in my life.

Guess what? The Lord never saved me. I saved me. And here I am, all these years later with no help of the Lord, my family or my friends. And I'm doing great for it!

For several years, I've considered that there was no "higher spirit" watching over me. Although I still believed in God and Jesus, I had no faith that they watched over me or answered my prayers. Imagine the feelings I lived with knowing that God was answering others but didn't care about me. It filled me with so much pain.

Only a year or so ago did I start "researching" atheism. Two months ago, I became free. "Coming out" to others has not been so easy. My husband thought it was a "phase" I was exploring. My father in law hung up on me when I professed the fact to him over the phone. My mother in law cried and told me that I'd find my way back one day. Well, I won't. This is the most real to me that I've ever experienced.

About my husband... a wonderful man. One of the reasons he fell in love with me was because of my Christian faith. As I have explained to him recently, I am still "me." I still have the moral standards that I had when we married. I'm still the same loving and devoted wife. I just happen to be "not Christian" anymore. He's come to terms with it and has become very supportive of my new belief system.

Together we own and operate an animal rescue. My heart is for these abandoned and abused animals. None of this will change simply because I am a "new found" Atheist! Heart

So, nice to meet you all! I'm looking forward to learning more and more from all of you as I go along i[/size][/font]nto this new journey of mine!

Shan @ ShanzShack Rescue Inc.
http://www.ShanzShack.com

Animal rescue - very cool. Come right in, grab a chair and make yourself comfortable. Thumbsup

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
07-12-2013, 09:00 AM
Welcome aboard Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume