New Beginnings, Starting Anew...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2012, 03:31 AM
RE: New Beginnings, Starting Anew...
Nothing's super permanent, you can always save up and move back if you don't like it. How far do you wanna move ? I've buggered off a few times. Prefer to travel light - leave most shit behind. You always acquire new shit immediately anyway so there's no reason to take it and it's a pain to transport it. And you find yourself walking down main roads with a gigantic cardboard box at 3 in the morning in the howling wind Dodgy

Just think about finding a job wherever you go, see if you can find a contact over there. Pretty easy to sort out accommodation etc once you arrive, I never had much luck doing it over the net and you don't wanna take a place without looking first. Last time I moved there was this place, the lady was lovely and I almost took it ahead of time but went and had a look first - essentially she was asking me to rent her broom cupboard. It was literally that small. And I'm 6 foot. The bed was pretty much a dog basket... And she had pets. I'm allergic to pets. And people who don't tell you about them before trying to get you to sign a rental agreement...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
08-12-2012, 02:33 PM
(08-12-2012 12:56 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  I've been all across Canada in every major city. My favourites are Vancouver (and surrounding areas, too), Montreal and Halifax. I live in neither, but I have family and friends in my home city that I couldn't part with for now. I deff wouldn't stay if it weren't that way, though. I'd be moving probably to Van, but that's because I have more friends and family there and I'm a west coaster- less of a shock. It might be easier to stay in east Canada since it's more familiar and you seem hesitant to leave. It is a culture shock from one end to the other and that can be an added stress.

If I were going to move I'd make sure to have a bit of savings and a job and place lined up first. I'd have a plan B, too. I've moved cities/towns before and my biggest advice would be to have a job lined up (so don't move and then look for work thinking you'll get it within a couple months). It's not impossible to do it that way (look for work) but it is a lot more stressful.

Having said that, according to Numbeo this year, Canadian Cities are ranked: Edmonton, Calgary, Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver. I suspect economy is a big reason for the relation to quality of living- a lot of work in Alberta.

That's interesting. Calgary is 200 miles north of nowhere and Edmonton is 200 miles north of Calgary. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-12-2012, 02:34 PM
(08-12-2012 02:33 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-12-2012 12:56 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  I've been all across Canada in every major city. My favourites are Vancouver (and surrounding areas, too), Montreal and Halifax. I live in neither, but I have family and friends in my home city that I couldn't part with for now. I deff wouldn't stay if it weren't that way, though. I'd be moving probably to Van, but that's because I have more friends and family there and I'm a west coaster- less of a shock. It might be easier to stay in east Canada since it's more familiar and you seem hesitant to leave. It is a culture shock from one end to the other and that can be an added stress.

If I were going to move I'd make sure to have a bit of savings and a job and place lined up first. I'd have a plan B, too. I've moved cities/towns before and my biggest advice would be to have a job lined up (so don't move and then look for work thinking you'll get it within a couple months). It's not impossible to do it that way (look for work) but it is a lot more stressful.

Having said that, according to Numbeo this year, Canadian Cities are ranked: Edmonton, Calgary, Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver. I suspect economy is a big reason for the relation to quality of living- a lot of work in Alberta.

That's interesting. Calgary is 200 miles north of nowhere and Edmonton is 200 miles north of Calgary. Consider
Yabut in kilometers that's like next door.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
08-12-2012, 02:38 PM
(07-12-2012 10:09 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(07-12-2012 09:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  Well, where are you and what might you like?

Do you speak French?

I like Montreal, Toronto, and Halifax.

Smaller cities like Waterloo/Kitchener?
Halifax was one of the places I was thinking of. But if it came down to it, a town like Perth Andover NB. It most likely would be a place I would move to later on in life, but if the chance arose, I'd move there in a heartbeat.

For smaller towns, resources are more scarce but it's what I'm looking for. I currently live on a busy street that is currently getting major work done at the nearby tracks. Whenever I go
out in the country, I prefer to come back at night so it's not so much of a shock.

Did you live in the areas you mentioned?

I'd like to know how one gets through those Big Moves. My city is pretty big, but not the biggest. I don't know if it's plainly a fear of the unknown or just inexperience that's held me back so far. I want to take the deep plunge, but my brain is making a mountain out of a molehill for this type of subject.

Strangely enough, arriving at the destination and expanding from there is the trickiest part in my head.
I have lived in Montreal, Toronto, and Kitchener/Waterloo. One of my sisters lives in Guelph, another on the island of Montreal, cousins in rural Ontario, Vancouver, Halifax, Metro Toronto, some in NB.
They are all good places to live, but it depends what you're looking for.

08-12-2012, 02:59 PM
(08-12-2012 02:38 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-12-2012 10:09 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Halifax was one of the places I was thinking of. But if it came down to it, a town like Perth Andover NB. It most likely would be a place I would move to later on in life, but if the chance arose, I'd move there in a heartbeat.

For smaller towns, resources are more scarce but it's what I'm looking for. I currently live on a busy street that is currently getting major work done at the nearby tracks. Whenever I go
out in the country, I prefer to come back at night so it's not so much of a shock.

I'd like to know how one gets through those Big Moves. My city is pretty big, but not the biggest. I don't know if it's plainly a fear of the unknown or just inexperience that's held me back so far. I want to take the deep plunge, but my brain is making a mountain out of a molehill for this type of subject.

Strangely enough, arriving at the destination and expanding from there is the trickiest part in my head.
I have lived in Montreal, Toronto, and Kitchener/Waterloo. One of my sisters lives in Guelph, another on the island of Montreal, cousins in rural Ontario, Vancouver, Halifax, Metro Toronto, some in NB.
So it's likely you have relatives that live in a trailer park, eh?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
08-12-2012, 04:06 PM
(08-12-2012 12:45 AM)DLJ Wrote:  You talked about moving... a big move.

I have done this a few times.

It's a lot easier when there is a specific purpose. In my case, being offered a job in a different continent (twice) so I had something to occupy the recesses of my mind where any doubts might have been lingering.

I have also done a big move with no specific purpose and that's more exciting (more risk).

I think the best thing to do is to make it real by creating a plan.
More specifically, create a budget plan (there are apps to make this easy but I used Excel) covering all first-year expenses and taking into account exchange rates and 'cost of living' differences (there are on-line indexes that quantify this).

The plan makes it viable.
When you take the plunge, don't expect the plan to actually happen (as planned) cos it won't.

And therein lies the thrill.

Or, you could buy some earmuffs!
Ooh... thank for the info!

I try to expect the unexpected. Does that sentence even make sense?! My brain is loop-De-looping on it.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
08-12-2012, 04:36 PM

Some places I've heard (friends who've lived here and there) say that Vancouver is really expensive. Toronto is too claustrophobic for me, but Edmonton intrigues me. I'll check out the site, thank you! *bookmarked*

Was it a pain in the ass with expenses for you?

Sorry my responses are so late. The internet hates me today... Blink

08-12-2012, 04:39 PM
(08-12-2012 02:59 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(08-12-2012 02:38 PM)Chas Wrote:  I have lived in Montreal, Toronto, and Kitchener/Waterloo. One of my sisters lives in Guelph, another on the island of Montreal, cousins in rural Ontario, Vancouver, Halifax, Metro Toronto, some in NB.
So it's likely you have relatives that live in a trailer park, eh?

They own the trailer park. Yes

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
08-12-2012, 04:43 PM
(08-12-2012 02:38 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-12-2012 10:09 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Halifax was one of the places I was thinking of. But if it came down to it, a town like Perth Andover NB. It most likely would be a place I would move to later on in life, but if the chance arose, I'd move there in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the bomb, Chas. What am I looking for?

There are a few of things I'm looking for:

(1) is already covered; a place other than the city I'm in, but who doesn't love filler
(2) a place where I can get to the country pretty easily/city pretty easily
(3) a location that's not BOOM in the downtown core
(4) somewhere that isn't considered a place where people go to when they're told they have six months to live
(5) somewhere I can get better internet than dialup (I'd go insane without my internetz, even though it hates me atm)

08-12-2012, 04:56 PM
I always advise to take the plunge into something new.

Why would you want to stay in a place that doesn't make you happy?

Changing things in a quest for something better is living life!

Change is always scary, but you'll be surprised how easy it becomes once you get going.

Once you make the decision it will be followed by a zillion smaller decisions and you'll be too busy to worry about it anymore.

Since you like nature, I would pick a city with climate you will enjoy year round, and pick a town outside the city.

You can scope out housing and employment or whatever there on the internet. I agree, I wouldn't take anything that is replaceable. Take what you love, and take what is worth the trouble and will be worth more than what the freight costs.

Starting over isn't that scary, really, I have done it several times. Getting going is what's scary.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post