New Bible-Believing Christian Forum Member

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2010, 06:27 PM
RE: New Bible-Believing Christian Forum Member
Glad to have you with us, Barley. Don't worry, we won't run you off or anything, and we don't bite (hard).

In fact, you're not the first theist we've had here - martinb59 was here for a while, but he left a few months ago. While he was here, we did have some heated discussions, but it never went to the point of flame wars or anything. Everyone conducted themselves as civilly as could really be expected. Just don't outright insult other members of the forum and you'll be fine.

(30-08-2010 04:50 PM)BarleyMcFlexo Wrote:  Thanks all. I think I need to catch up on the forum posts to get a vibe for the community. I want to be respectful of the current citizens and hopefully avoid any pitfalls that new members undoubtably fall into.

You may want to check out the martinb59 threads, then.

Quote:Now onto my first question. Obviously when two (or more) people discuss a subject with passionate, opposing views, the potential exists for, shall we say, explosiveness. Can you atheists (I don't mean that in a derogatory way) give me some ideas on what kind of words, attitudes, arguments, etc. really make your blood boil and degenerate the discussion into a flame war? I wouldn't want to say somethng I think is harmless and later discover that it's an atheist pet peeve Wink. Come to think of it, there should be a FAQ for this. Maybe there is one...I'll search.

Well, again, about the best guide you could find would be the martinb59 threads.

There is one thing I'd like to ask, though. Stark Raving and I (acting admins, but we don't ban anyone or do any moderation beyond banning spambots, so don't worry about power abuse) have just upgraded the forum to consist of several other sections, including one for discussion of atheism and theism. If you want to discuss this, please take it to that section. We just opened it up today, so it's empty as of yet, but if you could try to keep any discussions on that topic contained to that forum section, it would really help.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2010, 04:47 AM
(30-08-2010 03:21 PM)BarleyMcFlexo Wrote:  Hello, I am new here, and I guess some people will be happy about this and others annoyed, but I am a Bible-believing Christian interested to learn more about why atheists and evolutionists believe what they believe.

Hi Barley and welcome to the site.

Question for you, if you don't mind: when you say you're a "Bible-believing Christian", do you mean you believe the Bible as literal? Do you believe the world is <10,000 years old? If so, I'm genuinely curious about two things:
1. how do you explain all the contradictions to the "young Earth" theories, including the age of rocks and the fact that we can see light from stars that are millions of light years away; and
2. how do you explain the various contradictions in the bible, i.e. there are two versions of the 10 Commandments. How can it be the literal word of God if it contradicts itself.

Anyway, I hope you stick around and I hope you don't take my questions as trying to pick a fight. I'm honestly interested in your response.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
31-08-2010, 05:45 AM

Hi Barley, this is my first post since joining. Thanks for inspiring me to write.

What makes my blood boil (not a complete list and not in any particular order):

-- Christians who mistakenly claim that the US was founded on Christian values, furthering their "argument" with claims that "under god" was part of the original pledge and "in god we trust" has always emblazoned our currency.

-- Christians who assume that we atheists lack morals because we are without god and religion. What you might find while you are visiting this site (and if you pay attention in life) is that many of the kindest people are atheists. This has been my experience, and is in fact one of the factors that led me to leave religion many year ago. (Please note I said ONE of the factors.)

-- Violent and hateful acts performed in the name of god. The hypocrisy just blows my mind.

Kace
Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2010, 07:59 AM
Hellou Barley, enjoy your stay.

What makes my blood boil symbolically:

- lying about science, black painting science and not respecting evidence.
- claiming that something that is not evidence is evidence (for example some methods of ''paranormal investigation'').

Have you read the whole bible? If not, I think you mught find it surpricing.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
31-08-2010, 08:10 AM
What makes my blood boil is raising it to a temperature rather greater than one hundred degrees Celsius.

- Terry Pratchett
31-08-2010, 08:56 AM
Welcome to the forum! =) Just as you're worried about pet-peeves, I hope you'll ignore some of them in what I've posted, knowing that some of the content has been pet-peeves of my own when I was a Christian. =P

For your question

Quote:"Things were different back then." (Usually used to justify all manner of evil by deity)

This. For a while (before reconverting back to basic fundamental Christianity) I was a "Two-House Nazarene"--a kind of Messianic Jew. I received this argument a LOT back then whenever I presented my stance on the "New Law" compared to the Torah, and it's kind of stuck with me as a pet-peeve even through conversions.

And also the argument "There's no such thing as an atheist--the Bible says everyone really believes God is real." It's an argument I can't understand, like saying everyone secretly believes in Bigfoot. =P

I think those are the only two for me. =) Welcome again!

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
31-08-2010, 10:54 AM

My main pet peeves are:

1. Citing "holy documents" as evidence for something. This is an argument by authority which has no place in rational discussions
2. Logical fallacies, such as asking atheists to prove there is no god
3. "cherry-picking" things to believe from presumably holy scriptures - either this stuff was written by an omniscient, omnipotent, omnibenevolent deity or it was not - if the deity was all of those things, then contradictions and inconsistencies in such writings would be impossible
4. Attempting to offer rational reasons for an irrational belief system that demands, among other things, unquestioning faith and obedience from its followers
31-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Hey, welcome to the site!

My pet-peeves:
-People who believe that they know all the answers and/or don't know enough about a discussion/topic to properly argue their point.
-People who say that they are "Catholic" or "Protestant", etc, etc, when they don't even go to church, read the bible, or know anything about the religion they are supposedly a part of.
-Sympathisers of immoral religious dogma for the sake of multiculturalism/ religious tolerance. They are worse than the fundamentalists.

Otherwise, I am a pretty laid-back atheist. I don't tend to get frustrated in arguments, and I've been told that I have a lot of patience when trying to explain things. Oh, and I am naturally very curious, so I may be asking you tons of questions starting with "Why?" or "How?"

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
31-08-2010, 02:37 PM

I will answer your questions in a new thread in the "Atheism and Theism" section, as requested by the moderators...I mean administrators.

Here is the link to the new thread:

New Thread
31-08-2010, 03:05 PM
We're not mods.

...we're administrators. Cool

No, just kidding. Really, Stark Raving and I don't moderate the forums at all. In fact, we only received administrator privileges the day that you joined the forum! We're not here to ban people or enforce any specific rules set (beyond "don't be a jerk"). The forum was just in need of maintenance, so Stark Raving bugged the guys who owned it until they gave in and gave him the power to ban the bots himself. He enlisted my help because I've administrated several forums previously, and know how to work all the different admin functions.

Ignore the green names and seven stars. We're regular dudes. TTAF has no moderating staff, and I don't want to be treated any differently from anybody else. That happened on another forum... everybody was afraid that, since I was a mod, I would banhammer everyone that disagreed. I just wanted to participate!

;-;

- Terry Pratchett