New Data from Juno

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2017, 04:10 PM
New Data from Juno
Juno completed it's fifth flyby of Jupiter last week and the pictures are out. Some of the preliminary findings are about to be published too.

Next pass is timed to fly straight over the Great Red Spot. Should be interesting.

Clickety, clickety. These photos are enormous.

Jupiter's South Pole
[Image: 17-051.jpg]

Hypercane the size of Earth
[Image: pia21391.png]

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like Paleophyte's post
29-05-2017, 05:46 PM
RE: New Data from Juno
(29-05-2017 04:10 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Juno completed it's fifth flyby of Jupiter last week and the pictures are out. Some of the preliminary findings are about to be published too.

Next pass is timed to fly straight over the Great Red Spot. Should be interesting.

I've seen the photos as they appear on NASA Facebook site. They are really remarkable.

"Mission Overview:
Juno’s goal is to understand the origin and evolution of Jupiter. As the archetype of giant planets, Jupiter can provide the knowledge we need to understand the origin of our own solar system and the planetary systems being discovered around other stars."

"Juno will make global maps of the gravity, magnetic fields, and atmospheric composition of Jupiter from a unique polar orbit. Juno’s 32 orbits will extensively sample Jupiter’s full range of latitudes and longitudes. From its polar perspective Juno combines in-situ and remote sensing observations to explore the polar magnetosphere and determine what drives Jupiter’s remarkable auroras. The elliptical orbit swings below radiation belts to minimize radiation exposure."

"Mission Dates

Launch date: Aug. 5, 2011
Earth Flyby: October 2013
Arrival at Jupiter: July 2016
End of Mission (de-orbit): October 2017"

http://lockheedmartin.com/us/products/juno.html
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
01-06-2017, 11:10 AM
When is the next pass over the great red spot?
02-06-2017, 03:07 AM
That is beautiful to look at.

Stupid Question Alert:

I am never 100% sure about Jupiter. I'm aware its a gas giant, but does that mean its literally 100% gas or is there rock/land beneath all this? Is what we see just to upper atmosphere (like how the earth has clouds?) or is it like that straight down to the land/core/whatever?

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
02-06-2017, 05:13 AM
(02-06-2017 03:07 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  That is beautiful to look at.

Stupid Question Alert:

I am never 100% sure about Jupiter. I'm aware its a gas giant, but does that mean its literally 100% gas or is there rock/land beneath all this? Is what we see just to upper atmosphere (like how the earth has clouds?) or is it like that straight down to the land/core/whatever?

Theory is that the core of Jupiter is liquid metallic hydrogen. https://www.universetoday.com/47966/jupiters-core/
[+] 3 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
02-06-2017, 05:16 AM
(02-06-2017 05:13 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  

Stupid Question Alert:

Theory is that the core of Jupiter is liquid metallic hydrogen. https://www.universetoday.com/47966/jupiters-core/

I'm still holding out for a giant diamond

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
02-06-2017, 06:39 AM
(02-06-2017 05:13 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Theory is that the core of Jupiter is liquid metallic hydrogen. https://www.universetoday.com/47966/jupiters-core/

(02-06-2017 05:16 AM)unfogged Wrote:  I'm still holding out for a giant diamond

Ok cool, that's interesting to know. I wasn't sure if it was a well known thing and I've just never looked it up OR if nobody really knows. I suppose, Technically, [if you could get close enough and not get drawn in the gravity], you could "extract" the gases/element from the planet? Like suck it up into a large vacuum type device? Would be interesting to see what some of it is made of and how that creates the storms that rage on the surface.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
02-06-2017, 06:41 AM
(02-06-2017 05:13 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  

Stupid Question Alert:

There is notihng like a "surface" where you have a clear separation of materials and their state (gas, fluid, solid). Jupiter is H and He through and through (no rock, metals like iron or othe stuff), and if you want to know how it looks in Jupiters interior, all you need to know is how H and He (like any other element) behave over temperature and pressure. They start, of course, as gases in clouds as we can clearly can see from the outiside. If you go deep enough the pressures and temperatures will become extremely enough to produce weird phases like "metallic hydrogen".
The core is solid (metallic hydrogen), the cloud tops ar gases, in betwen you will some weird stuff happening.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
02-06-2017, 02:24 PM
"New Jupiter Weirdness from Juno", according to SciShow Space.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
02-06-2017, 08:19 PM

Stupid Question Alert:

We haven't been there so we aren't 100% sure but it seems extremely likely that Jupiter lacks the surfaces that we're used to. As you go deeper into the atmosphere the pressure goes up and it begins to behave more and more like a liquid. At some point it will be a liquid but there won't be any gas-liquid boundary like there is on Earth. One just slowly grades into the other. It's called a supercritical fluid. They happen here on Earth but typically only deep underground or at seafloor hydrothermal vents. The same concept applies to the lack of liquid-solid boundaries. The liquid will simply get thicker and syrupier until it's indistinguishable from a solid.

There likely will be phase transitions, such as between normal diatomic hydrogen and hydrogen metal but those will likely occur within the "solid" state. Jupiter's core likely contains a differentiated silicate core with a nickel-iron center.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 5 users Like Paleophyte's post