New Data from Juno

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2017, 09:20 AM
RE: New Data from Juno
Maybe this is obvious to everyone but me, but how did they get the photo (in the OP) of Jupiter's southern hemisphere, completely illuminated? Is that a composite of several photos, or an infrared image, or what? As far as I know, the southern hemisphere is never fully illuminated at any given time.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
06-06-2017, 09:30 AM
I'm not 100% but aren't most pictures from space taken via X-ray or Infra-red or something like that?

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
06-06-2017, 09:48 AM
(06-06-2017 09:20 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Maybe this is obvious to everyone but me, but how did they get the photo (in the OP) of Jupiter's southern hemisphere, completely illuminated? Is that a composite of several photos, or an infrared image, or what? As far as I know, the southern hemisphere is never fully illuminated at any given time.

I am sure that is a composite. Juno would have had to have made several passes.

Below is what it really looks like.

[Image: Juno-Jupiter-March-27-pass-Nasa-etc-with....jpg?ssl=1]

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 2 users Like tomilay's post
06-06-2017, 10:06 AM
(02-06-2017 06:39 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Ok cool, that's interesting to know. I wasn't sure if it was a well known thing and I've just never looked it up OR if nobody really knows. I suppose, Technically, [if you could get close enough and not get drawn in the gravity], you could "extract" the gases/element from the planet? Like suck it up into a large vacuum type device? Would be interesting to see what some of it is made of and how that creates the storms that rage on the surface.
Standard scifi device to have spaceships dive in and scoop material from gas giants for fuel.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-06-2017, 12:51 PM
(06-06-2017 10:06 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(02-06-2017 06:39 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Ok cool, that's interesting to know. I wasn't sure if it was a well known thing and I've just never looked it up OR if nobody really knows. I suppose, Technically, [if you could get close enough and not get drawn in the gravity], you could "extract" the gases/element from the planet? Like suck it up into a large vacuum type device? Would be interesting to see what some of it is made of and how that creates the storms that rage on the surface.
Standard scifi device to have spaceships dive in and scoop material from gas giants for fuel.

Traveller with its 'Grav plate' tech has its frontier ships 'scooping' hydrogen 'fuel' (Both power generation and reaction mass, I guess... Consider ) from gas giants.

Over time it causes damage to systems due to 'Impurities' coming in with the hydrogen.

One fun adventure has the adventurers finding/salvaging a ship which has 'crashed' into a giant, floating/flying life form while it was scooping for its fuel.

Of course, possibly with reality, depending on how bad the radiation belts are.... and, how much material resourses you want to invest, you first build a geostationary ring around the planet. Then simply lower 'tethers' down into the clouds. (With appropriate counter weights rising above etc)

Big Grin Yah, crazy ambitious I know but.....
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post