New Flu?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Question New Flu?
I didn't see a thread already on this, so here it is.

"The National Science Advisory Board for Biosecurity, concerned about bioterrorism and a worldwide pandemic, has for the first time ever urged scientific journals to keep details out of reports that they intend to publish on a highly transmissible form of the bird flu called A(H5N1), which has a high death rate in people." - http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/22/health...-says.html

Apparently, the U.S. government paid researchers to not release information about a virus "because of fears of bioterrorism." - http://www.thestar.com/news/world/articl...ublication

Hmm, not sure what to make of this, thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-12-2011, 09:18 PM
RE: New Flu?
Hmm, H5N1 is relatively more lethal than H1N1, with a 50-60% chance of death once you are infected with this virus. H5N1 is relatively less virulent than H1N1. So don't worry for now, considering that there are more virulent strains spreading around the world now. Just don't be fooled by statistics Smile

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
21-12-2011, 11:31 PM
The Andromeda Strain was fictional, but based on good science... it's unlikely that our population will get wiped out by a virus, because a virus that kills all of its food sources is one that won't survive. H1N1 evolved to a safer form. Sure, it was scary for about a week, but evolution kept it safe.

It's possible that this is a future danger, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-12-2011, 11:44 PM
I honestly don't have a huge problem with the researchers doing these experiments (under extremely safe conditions of course), after all this is the best way of researching viruses that could hypothetically trouble us in the future. Now, I don't think the methodology involved in this experiment should be made public, just available to other researchers for study. We don't need to know exactly how they induced mutation in the virus, and there are some people I'd certainly rather didn't know. But it is useful research.

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."
- Christopher Hitchens