New Games

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-11-2012, 02:22 PM
New Games
With the Winter months swiftly closing in, I'm going to need something to distract my seasonally-depressed mind as I shut myself away from the cold and the desolation.

I'm not much of a video game guy, personally, but I do have a PS2 and a couple of games. However, I've had these games for a couple of years and I'm looking for something new to fuck around with while I pound back 12-packs of Coors next to the fireplace. As I said, though, I don't play games very often, so I have no idea what's out there these days.

I am looking purely for shooting/war games. "Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction" is an all-time favorite of mine; along with "Black". I've played the Grand Teft Auto games, but I prefer war and chaos on a more epic scale.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2012, 06:27 PM
RE: New Games
I don't imagine you'd consider upgrading to a 360/PS3 this late in the console development cycle.

If you're in to a more medieval/fantasy warfare type game you might try the Dynasty Warrior series. I also spent a lot of time with Ace Combat and Killzone, even if the latter's controls are wonky.
Find all posts by this user
02-11-2012, 03:50 AM
I could consider getting a new console. Especially after seeing gameplay footage of Battlefield 3.

02-11-2012, 10:55 AM
Why not try some PC games? I can probably find a game for you regardless of your computer specs.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
02-11-2012, 12:20 PM
(02-11-2012 03:50 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I could consider getting a new console. Especially after seeing gameplay footage of Battlefield 3.
I think Battlefield 3 is a lot of fun, but it's one of those games where it's better on a PC, provided you can get it to work (mine stopped working a few months ago due to a widespread bug).

If you're looking for a current-gen game, the Call of Duty series is decent if you just like shooting stuff. Mercenaries 2 is also really good. I have it for the 360, but there is an issue where it will freeze if you try to play it while connected to the internet - the servers were shut down a while ago, and it can only be played offline. I don't know if the PS2/3 versions do this.

PC also has a lot of great games. I'm looking forward to MechWarrior Online right now... it's in open beta, and if your computer can handle it, you can play for free.
04-11-2012, 05:12 AM
Eh. The problem with PC games is that my computer is shit. lol. Right now, I'm using it to post here for the first time in about 2 weeks because it's been in the shop. It can barely handle what I've got on it now; it would blow a fuse if I put a bunch of high-bit games on it.
I played Mercs 2, but it was the PS2 version, so it wasn't nearly as good as it should have been. I'm thinking I need to upgrade to a 360 or something of that sort. Like I said, I'm not much of a game guy, so I've had the PS2 for about 6 years. It's all dusty. Confused

04-11-2012, 06:02 AM
Don't get BF3.
Get CoD. CoD is very n00b friendly and you'll have a more enjoyable time.
BF3 is not very forgiving to people who haven't played 50+ hours let alone someone who doesn't play many video games at all.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
04-11-2012, 06:23 AM
Well, while I don't play often, I am quite good at the gaming itself.

Having said that, is Battlefield 3 a purely online experience? Or is there a linear storyline just like any other game? I wouldn't mind playing online but I'd rather just play on my own.

04-11-2012, 02:05 PM
If you don't play games too often I wouldn't suggest a 360 for online playing, as it has a sub fee for online.
[+] 1 user Likes AphexandCambria's post
07-11-2012, 05:57 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2012 06:05 PM by Vipa.)
(04-11-2012 06:23 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Well, while I don't play often, I am quite good at the gaming itself.

Having said that, is Battlefield 3 a purely online experience? Or is there a linear storyline just like any other game? I wouldn't mind playing online but I'd rather just play on my own.
BF3 has a single player campaign, it's quite good, but otherwise it's mainly an online experience. Same goes for Call of Duty, but their singleplayers are like great action movies (unfortunately their lengths are too: 4-6h) with more than enough chaos.

For XBox360 i'd say Halo is one of the better fps series. You could also try Gears of War although I consider it to be a little confusing

Another fps I can recommend (storywise) is Spec Ops: The Line

Other shooters and first person action games I played and liked, but aren't exactly "pure":
Max Payne 3
BioShock
Army of Two

But imo you should consider some other non-(pure)-shooter games as well, like Assassin's Creed 3, Dishonored, Deus Ex or Mass Effect

btw you could build a pc yourself that can run bf3 or crysis 2 with high settings from 300$ (assuming you aren't using a laptop and can reuse everything except mainboard, ram, processor and graphics card - or about 500 if you had to replace everything).

Edit: amazon has nice used xbox360/ps3 deals - a pc would be no match pricewise